No under shirt ...

This is a discussion on No under shirt ... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about to purchase either the M-TAC or the Crossbreed based on what I read EVERYWHERE on the forums I frequent. In the hot and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No under shirt ...

I'm about to purchase either the M-TAC or the Crossbreed based on what I read EVERYWHERE on the forums I frequent. In the hot and humid DFW area of Texas (108 today), I stick to the 642 in a Mika or Nemesis pocket holster, but would like to carry the XD 40 4" as an option year-round, not just after it cools down. I took it to church this morning with a t-shirt and golf shirt covering garment in a DeSantis "Tuck This", and as long as I'm wearing a t-shirt it's fine. I need something with a backing, otherwise it's uncomfortable to me without one.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

Good choice on the MTAC. I love mine, and I am in the sauna called Florida too.

Exactly right buckeye

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, and OWB holster would probably help, but then you might need different shirts to cover it better.

Concealing a weapon is all about compromises, sometimes you have to sacrifice a little in order to carry.

What kind of pistol do you carry?
    Compromise is the key. Have you tried a TuckerGunleather IWB holster? I carry three guns from the slim Kahr Arms P9 up to a Springfield 1911 A1. While the heavier guns are less comfortable these holsters work well for all sizes.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I realize I'm too late, since you ordered the MTAC (which I may one day buy for the XD45 Compact), but I'm very well pleased with my Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage. Tuckable, which I believe you said you desire, and waaaay comfortable in my experience.

i have no problem with my ctac (kydex iwb) with no undershirt. but thats just me.
    check out the mtac (leather/kydex combo). or another leather iwb
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Thumbs up

I am impressed with the service at Comp-Tac !!!
    I ordered the M-TAC on August 1, got a confirmation the same day, and receive an e-mail today (8-6) that it has shipped; considering there was a week-end in that period, it is a 3 days turnaround time.
    If I am as happy with the holster than with the service, I'll have a winner.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Comp-Tac service is second to none. I will be a customer of theirs for a long time.

Glad you will have your holster soon, like I stated before, good choice.

Hmmm....first post. I was reading the thread and thought I'd pass along something I did.

I have an IWB holster for my XD. The leather was a bit rough on the skin....so I tried a sleeveless t-shirt under my polo shirts. It was ok...but I could still feel the holster rubbing and wasn't satisfied.

My wife suggested I get some mole skin from the drug store and stick it to the holster. Wow.....talk about night and day! To cover the sticky side toward the gun which wasn't on the holster....I just cut a second piece and taped them together.

Try the moleskin on your favorite holster.....it just might be a cheap fix for you.
    Peace, through superior firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I am impressed with the service at Comp-Tac !!!
    I ordered the M-TAC on August 1, got a confirmation the same day, and receive an e-mail today (8-6) that it has shipped; considering there was a week-end in that period, it is a 3 days turnaround time.
    If I am as happy with the holster than with the service, I'll have a winner.
    If your not happy with the holster it may be time to change guns
    the g26 is not a small gun for a 9mm
    I carry a g33 (same frame) and love it but the pm9 by
    Kahr is small and it would be a lot better size wise

PS I say this knowing I can not give up my Glock
    I,m just stuck on the reliability
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

crossbreed supertuck deluxe!
    just got one for the g27 and it's great.
    I had one before for a sig p245 that i sold but they are comfy and im 5'10" 240

My VMII rides me bareback !

It kindof glues itself to me as well - so no shifting !

I hate underneath t-shirts.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    South Florida, hot and humid !!!
    I am 5-8 and 145 lbs; carry a G-26.
    I usually wear jeans and shirt or T-shirt with no undershirt; I tried a Kydex tuckable, a belly-band and the Galco X-project (a joke)...
    You're awful close to my size. I tend to wear cargo pants/shorts, t-shirt, and like you also no undershirt. I'm having trouble understanding why the tuckable would hurt; is this an indication that most any IWB-carry would hurt? I've got a little more heft at my strong side (gov't 1911) carried in a leather holster that just sorta sticks to me after a few minutes, and can't say it gets uncomfortable to the point of being painful short of wearing it for 14+ hours.

Have you had any past injuries or general back stiffness?

-B

I never wear an undershirt in the summer. I have a Maverick Defender that I wore for about a year with its full 360 degree adjustable locking cant you could wear your gun upside down if you wanted, so you can easily find the perfect cat for you. It was by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever had. It can be worn both IWB (tuckable) and OWB. But it does tend to print a bit under thin T Shirts but than I am a slim short guy packing a double stack XD.45.
    So I had ordered a a Dakota Defender for summer wear that I just got a few weeks ago. Now this thing makes the XD completely disappear. It holds the gun tight against my body, pushing the grip snugly onto my kidney area. The leather is extremely thin but its rock solid, because of Kevin's proprietary finishing process several have said that after years of daily wear theirs has held its shape like new. Never a problem with draw or reholstering. Like a second skin every single detail of your gun is deeply molded (boned) into the leather inside and out. So it takes a bit of break in to smooth or round the edges out some. That attention to detail provides excellent retention. Especially important on a bike. Kevin rides so he knows all about that. The adjustable clips allow me to set the cant and depth. The two clips are set wide apart and distributes the weight of the gun and allows the holster to become molded to your body, so well it feels like it is not there. The suede sweat shield is the only part of the holster that comes in contact with your skin and feels great no matter how hot or humid it gets. The Dakota is an extremely comfortable holster that conceals easily and the workmanship is impeccable. IMO there is no compromise here first class design and workmanship premium leather extremely comfortable and easily concealed

Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    You're awful close to my size. I tend to wear cargo pants/shorts, t-shirt, and like you also no undershirt. I'm having trouble understanding why the tuckable would hurt; is this an indication that most any IWB-carry would hurt? I've got a little more heft at my strong side (gov't 1911) carried in a leather holster that just sorta sticks to me after a few minutes, and can't say it gets uncomfortable to the point of being painful short of wearing it for 14+ hours.

Have you had any past injuries or general back stiffness?

-B
    Yeah, I had lower back surgery for a ruptured disk, and I have a slipped vertebra (L4) that is giving me almost constant, albeit mostly mild pain.
    But it was mostly the Kydex rigidity directly on the skin that was hurting me.
    I received the M-TAC yesterday, tried it a few hours today, so far so good !!!
    After a little more time, I will report my experience.
    I am also getting jeans one size larger ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Try taking a washcloth and placing it between you and your rig. It's a bit difficult to set up, but once it's on it's over and you don't even realize it's there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links