No under shirt ...

This is a discussion on No under shirt ... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; South Florida, hot and humid !!! I am 5-8 and 145 lbs; carry a G-26. I usually wear jeans and shirt or T-shirt with no ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No under shirt ...

Question No under shirt ...

South Florida, hot and humid !!!
    I am 5-8 and 145 lbs; carry a G-26.
    I usually wear jeans and shirt or T-shirt with no undershirt; I tried a Kydex tuckable, a belly-band and the Galco X-project (a joke).
    None of those are comfortable; actually the tuckable is painful after 15 minutes. So it's back to the "fanny pack" which I hate !!! or the vest which really looks weird in this weather and it is hot even the fabric ones.
    I also have Smart-Carry or is it Thunderwear? It is OK for a while but not comfortable on the Harley.
    The only options I have not tried (yet) is the SOB and the ankle (problem wearing boots).

It is only been 20 + years I've been trying to solve this problem and I wish I had the proverbial box of holsters ... I have 3 boxes !!! But I am still looking and hoping.

Thanks for any feedback !!!

2. Remove Ads

Well, and OWB holster would probably help, but then you might need different shirts to cover it better.

Concealing a weapon is all about compromises, sometimes you have to sacrifice a little in order to carry.

What kind of pistol do you carry?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I'm using my MTAC with a G27 tucked right now and no undershirt. It's not uncomfortable in the least. Granted it's not as humid here and I'm 5'11 230lbs.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

It's really hot here in San Antonio, but I carry my 1911 comfortably year-round by wearing an unbuttoned short-sleeve shirt as a top garment, often over a tank-top and cargo shorts. Hawaiian/Carribean type shirts ought to look fine in Florida. Just make sure the shirt-tail is long.

When I'm dressing in more of a business casual style, I'll often wear my Shabak jacket.

As buckeyeLCPL said, you're going to have to compromise a bit if you're going to carry a concealed handgun. You'll probably need to make a few changes from the same old wardrobe you've been wearing. It's a small price to pay.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Why don't you just wear an undershirt and keep that kydex off your skin? It's what I do. If you are going to carry you are just going to have to dress around your gun. Personally, I don't let kydex or leather next to my skin.

Same state, same weather, same wardrobe...... I use a crossbreed supertuck almost exclusively. No undershirt, ever. Works for me but everyone's different.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I live in South Texas I think it's probably farther south than florida I wear a crossbreed holster year round under a T-shirt with no problems
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    South Florida, hot and humid !!!
    I am 5-8 and 145 lbs; carry a G-26.
    I usually wear jeans and shirt or T-shirt with no undershirt; I tried a Kydex tuckable, a belly-band and the Galco X-project (a joke).
    None of those are comfortable; actually the tuckable is painful after 15 minutes. So it's back to the "fanny pack" which I hate !!! or the vest which really looks weird in this weather and it is hot even the fabric ones.
    I also have Smart-Carry or is it Thunderwear? It is OK for a while but not comfortable on the Harley.
    The only options I have not tried (yet) is the SOB and the ankle (problem wearing boots).

It is only been 20 + years I've been trying to solve this problem and I wish I had the proverbial box of holsters ... I have 3 boxes !!! But I am still looking and hoping.

Thanks for any feedback !!!
    jfl...

I understand your problem.
    I love my Harley, too, and I choose to always be armed as I enjoy its open air comforts.
    (Only a biker understands why dogs like to ride with their heads out of a car window.)

My usual EDC is my Kimber Ultra in a Fist #1A IWB w/cant, clip, and body protector. It works on my Harley but...I wanted something else.
    Then I purchased a my Glock-36 and a Fist #41 IWB SOB. See the above 'Related Links...search out Fist.
    The holster has a body protector and rides tightly against my right kidney. Note that the holster is a palm out draw. Some may not like this, but it's actually quite natural. I can ride, stand, sit, and walk for hours and hardly know the gun is there.
    Additionally, I usually just wore a T-shirt on the bike, but I started wearing a (wifebeater) under the T...this makes the holster disappear. The wifebeater and T are no hotter than just a T.
    I have an Electra Glide with a back rest...I sometimes have to double check that I brought my gun along (like checking for your watch because you can't feel it).

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the ride!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

AMH
    I have similar stature, but live in OK, just as hot, but less humid. I carry my SAXD 4" in a crossbreed super tuck with no under shirt and love it.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I'm in Arizona, we have the heat but not the humidity (well, it is monsoon season now) I usually wear an 511 or Under Armor undershirt. If you haven't tried either I'd recommend it.

I even wear them if I'm home and the holster is not attached to me. They really do wick away the sweat.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I live in the DFW area so i thing we qualify for hot but maybe not so humid. I carried my Glock 26 (until purchased a PM9) in the Uncle Mikes IWB sidekick size 12 without an undershirt all day. The Glock does seem to be a little top heavy and I find myself having to adjust a few times during the day but its the best way to carry it in the summer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    jfl...

I understand your problem.
    I love my Harley, too, and I choose to always be armed as I enjoy its open air comforts.
    (Only a biker understands why dogs like to ride with their heads out of a car window.)

My usual EDC is my Kimber Ultra in a Fist #1A IWB w/cant, clip, and body protector. It works on my Harley but...I wanted something else.
    Then I purchased a my Glock-36 and a Fist #41 IWB SOB. See the above 'Related Links...search out Fist.
    The holster has a body protector and rides tightly against my right kidney. Note that the holster is a palm out draw. Some may not like this, but it's actually quite natural. I can ride, stand, sit, and walk for hours and hardly know the gun is there.
    Additionally, I usually just wore a T-shirt on the bike, but I started wearing a (wifebeater) under the T...this makes the holster disappear. The wifebeater and T are no hotter than just a T.
    I have an Electra Glide with a back rest...I sometimes have to double check that I brought my gun along (like checking for your watch because you can't feel it).

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the ride!

ret
    I ride an 05 E-glide with a back-rest as well (my wife has a Road King) !!!
    I have a couple FIST K-1; very nice people to deal with; they really helped me getting one on time before we left for Sturgis in 2006.
    I never tried an SOB; had lower back surgery in 2003 and it scares me me a little !!!
    Considering your experience, I am going to try to find one to try ???

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a "wifebeater"

When we travel, I usually wear a BDU type pants with the ties or rubber band over the boots; a friend of mine was riding in jeans and had a yellow jacket get in his pant leg and fall in his boot; not pretty; we had to take to the hospital a few hours later !!!
    With the BDU I use a pocket holster.

Thanks to all who answered with their suggestions

wmhawth: dress around the gun ... I don't feel that way; I have carried for too long and the appeal is long gone. However I'll never leave home without it.

Every now and then I have the idea to get a smaller gun ... BUT I have many thousand rounds in that G-26 shot in IDPA and GSSF matches, I am good with it so it is my best chance if need arises.

I see good feedback in your posts for the crossbreed tuckable, I am going to look at those too, but I'd hate to have to start a fourth box of unused holsters especially sincemy wife bought only 2 holsters in the last 15 years and the one she uses the most was a $15 used one she picked up at a gun show

Thanks again for all your replies !!!

You can't miss fast enough to win !

jfl

I'm in sunny and hot FL too! I've settled on the Mtac IWB for my Glocks. It is comfy and easy to hide under a loose T shirt. I've found wearing an athletic cut or "wife beater" undershirt under the T-shirt adds to the comfort and does not make me feel any warmer. Worth a try. For pocket carry, I have my S&W 642 in a Mika pocket holster or my Keltec in a K-Rat.

VIP Member
    You're just gonna have to figure out what YOU like.

I carry a 1911 in a VM-II all day in temperatures in the 90s to over 100 next to my skin no problem.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have to wear a T shirt, usually a wife beater and I also prefer my holsters to have a sweat shield, don't want the gun against my body for my skins protection and the guns. The wife beaters don't make you any hotter. Try them.

BTW. A "wife beater" T shirt is the tank top type made out of the very light fabric, almost like cotton gauze, they call them "wife beaters" because of some redneck joke a long time ago by a famous comedian and the name has spread and stuck.
    You also may want to try selling some of those 3 boxes worth of holsters, could fund a new gun, holster or lot's of wife beaters!! lol!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links