Concealed OWB Holster question

This is a discussion on Concealed OWB Holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to give OW a shot for ccw. I think I can pull it off!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed OWB Holster question

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to give OW a shot for ccw. I think I can pull it off!
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

2. Remove Ads

Another vote for the Don Hume 721OT.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Having practiced daily CCW for about 23 years, I can say that a good OWB holster, worn properly, is always more comfortable than just about any IWB holster, but that some IWB holsters certainly can be pretty comfortable, and IWB holsters are always easier to conceal, since you basically need a cover garment that comes only to just at the beltline.
    Obviously with OWB rigs, unless you are able to employ a cover garment sufficiently long to cover your holster toe/muzzle, effective concealment will be compromised. A high-ish ride OWB helps, of course.
    Humani nihil alienum

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    While a OWB holster is MORE comfy, the IWB holster is MORE concealed. And thats why it's best to have both, depending on your clothing and environment.
    That's the best summary so far. Note that both will conceal and good IWBs will be "reasonably" comfy too -- but IWB and OWB optimize different things at the margins. You really need both.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I carry OWB fairly often - concealed as much as one can OWB. I just ordered a US High Ride from Rusty Sherrick C. Rusty Sherrick - Vertical Belt Holsters . I do not have any experience with his holsters - but hoping his high ride will conceal a little more than the average holster. So far this has been the highest ride holster I have found.
    Here are other options. Both of these are top-shelf:

mitch rosen gunleather

...and work your way to Belt Holsters and look at the UPL. And:

THR

I've owned Mitch Rosen and Bulman and can vouch for both. Bulman and Sherrick are far more cost-effective.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    For me high ride holsters have two major disadvantages.
    1. They require a greater range of shoulder motion than the low ride holsters, such as Sparks I-BAK. Although I still have a good range of shoulder motion, it is not as good as it once was.

2. It is not as easy to draw from beneath a shirt with the tail worn out. A shirt will only raise so much, and I find the high ride holsters make is harder to get the shirt tail to clear the gun.

I do admit they do not need such a long cover garment, but I much prefer the low ride, and wear my shirts with long tails. Of course with a suit coat on it makes no difference.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Q: - How many of you effectively conceal a weapon using OWB???
    A: Every Day.

Q: - Do you find it much more comfy than an IWB rig?
    A: - Much more.

Buy a good gun belt also if you don't already own one. A good belt is a necessary item
    Totally agree... I have a Beltman belt... Don Hume H721 OT holster is a great economical and quality holster... and another I've got on my short future list is Mitch Rosen's Upper Limit Express holster.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I find my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2's to be quite comfortable, and very concealable (5 inch 1911).

That said, I've been experimenting with OWB quite a bit lately. Most recently with the new Silent Thunder (leather lined Kydex) from Tucker Gunleather. I find OWB is:
    1. Yes, even more comfortable (though not hugely so), and
    2. Not too difficult to conceal with the same cover garments I tend to wear anyway (open shirt over T shirt). It does protrude from the bottom occasionally, stand out from the waist more and show when moving/reaching more though. Just gotta get used to it. After about a month, I've yet to be made aware of being "made". And the leather lined Kydex is proving to be a very cool holster design!
    Last edited by T Bone; August 3rd, 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Q: - How many of you effectively conceal a weapon using OWB???

A: I do. And I carry that was almost exclusively.

Q: - Do you find it much more comfy than an IWB rig?

A: Immeasurably so. I hate carrying IWB. I have always found it to be the single most uncomfortable style of carry.

I carry OWB all the time. I use a Blackhawk SERPA most of the time. And if I am concealing it, I use a T-shirt left un-tucked, once size larger than I normally wear (I wear a medium, so I use a larger to conceal with.) Sometimes I use a Fobus holster that does a bit better job of concealing the gun, a Glock 23, because it isn't a straight up and down holster like the SERPA.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I used to love OWBs. I have many extremely comfortable OWB holsters. The biggest problem I have with them is that in my area of the country (South Florida -- Miami) is the matter of the cover garment. I used to wear the venerable "photographers vest" for years when the ccw permit came thru in this state in 1987. But by now even the most jaded liberal and ignorant senior citizen knows it means GUN thanks to the nightly news and tv in general. So I no longer get the questions about taking pictures without a camera or fly fishing in the mall. I stopped that method of cover years ago. When it gets colder I do love to wear my Galco or Sam Andrews custom leather. Other wise I stick with my ultra comfy Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe and I can still wear a polo shirt or a tuck in oxford style in perfect comfort and totally concealed. I have to admit I can't wait to retire and move someplace that stays colder longer so I can have more "alone time" with my OWBs.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I used to love OWBs. I have many extremely comfortable OWB holsters. The biggest problem I have with them is that in my area of the country (South Florida -- Miami) is the matter of the cover garment.
    Summers in Philly are hot and humid too -- I find the standard dark color unbuttoned short sleeve oxford shirt conceals OWB pretty well even on the hottest of days.

Ahhh

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Summers in Philly are hot and humid too -- I find the standard dark color unbuttoned short sleeve oxford shirt conceals OWB pretty well even on the hottest of days.
    Ahhh you must be a skinny dude. If I did that they'd be making fat jokes about how I can't get my shirt buttoned in no time. They being my friends and family who are constantly doing their best to help me lose weight. I can't blame them, it's true. I'm exercising and on a good diet. Lost 10 pounds so far. Gee, according to the Docs over at the V.A., only 90 more to go!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Ahhh you must be a skinny dude.
    Not even a little. The trick is to buy the shirts one size larger than you normally wear. The "unbuttoned oxford over T shirt" look is easy to sell as a normal look. In terms of concealment, having extra weight at the waistline doesn't matter as long as your shoulders are still wide enough that the shirt falls straight down without draping over the gun. IOW, a gut is ok for carry this way, but pear-shaped won't work too well.

Unhappy YEP

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    ..... but pear-shaped won't work too well.
    Well there you have it. I'm at that aforementioned "shape."

"Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links