Defensive Carry banner

Maxpedition Fatboy for CC?

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  smousefam5 
#1 ·
My daughter recently bought me (well, actually mom did) a Maxpedition Fatboy (aka, man purse). FATBOY™ VERSIPACK - Versipacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)
It's actually pretty cool. Anyway, I know it is touted as a possible concealed carry option, off body. I wonder if anyone here has one and has used it (or something similar) for cc'ing. I recently put my application in to get my license, but it will be a while. When I get it, I will probably get a IWB for casual dress use. But going to work and such, I can't take the chance of printing.

Anyway, thoughts on using a pack like this?

#2 ·
I've got a Jumbo Versipack with the optional velcro holster in it. I only wear it when hiking locally or at touristy places, where it doesn't look out of place. Carry a Glock 26 in it and it's quite handy. When in the car I leave the gun compartment unzipped and set it just behind the console, so it serves as a good "in vehicle holster" as well.

#3 ·
I toyed with the idea of the Jumbo... but decided it was a tad too big. I'm thinking that when I get my license, I will use the center area as my carry "spot." The zippered pocket is a bit too narrow to take the gun out of in a hurry, if God forbid, I needed to. I have a Hi Point C-9. If the top of the zipper were sewn down on to the pack it would be a lot easier. I may just do that.

#4 ·
I've got one, never use it. To me it screams "GUN". I much prefer my Gregory Fanny Pack in a color other than black. That blends in with the tourist better.

Biker :palmier:

#5 ·
You know, I thought of that. But I wonder if it isn't because I'm just the sort of person who is aware of guns being carried in general? I dunno. I think the same thing you do when I see a fanny pack. There aren't enough tourists here in Boise, so everyone notices a fanny pack, lol. But, I think for the great majority of people, they are clueless. So if they see my bag or your fanny pack, they aren't necessarily going to think of a gun. If a LEO thinks that, that's fine.

Open carry is becoming a lot more common here, but I'm not really at that stage yet, in the city anyway. If I'm up in a mountain town, I don't have a problem open carrying. Here, there are too many people who get jittery if they see a gun in the open.

#6 ·
I use the older Fatboy, (no velcro in zippered pocket). I use a Blackhawk Serpa w/ the paddle attatchment, in the main compartment. Hook the paddle over the netting, and viola, one very Jack Bauer bag.
Not for everyone, I am sure. But, in tank, shorts, flipflops, works quite well w my g36.

Dan

#8 ·
If you think the Jumbo is too big, I'd say have another look. I have one and I just don't think of it as being all that big. It'll hold my SIG P220, the main compartment will hold a few hundred rounds, and the rest of the external pockets are on the small side.

I use mine as an ammo bag at the range. Also, as I live in the People's Republic of Maryland, I can only carry when I leave the state. I bring the Maxpedition along so I have a way of easily dealing with arming/disarming at the state line.

Last thing is, the Maxpedition velcro holster is...not great. It's okay, but you might want to look at somebody else's holster to use in it. Crossbreed makes a good one for their conceal-carry satchel. I can't claim to have used that one, but it seems much better.

#11 ·
Don't have one, but have seriously considered it.

I carried off body for years in a Special Weapons Products nylon briefcase. It worked great. Only caveat, you will need to discipline yourself to treat the bagged weapon as an appendage, never letting it leave your control.

#15 ·
I've had mine for a few months now and use it currently for car carry - still enduring the long wait for my Texas CHL, but the laws for car carry are pretty good here. The Fatboy really makes carrying in the car a lot easier - no need to unholster/reholster when getting in and out of the car. Since I don't have my license yet, I just throw the bag in the trunk when I have to make a stop somewhere. When my license comes through, the bag will never leave my side - save for post office/hospital trips.

I personally don't think it screams gun - if anything, it might scream "overly organized" or "militant metrosexual" to anyone not familiar with methods of firearm carry. However, whenever I go to a gun show, I'll see at least 5 people in the crowd with one of these on them.

#17 ·
I picked up a Fatboy about a month ago and began carrying it daily. I really like mine a lot. I have been carrying an S&W 649 in the CCW compartment. I took a Desantis superfly pocket holster and attached velcro to it and that has worked great.

When the winter hits I will still use it but I will go to carrying my .40 IWB with extra mags in the CCW pocket.

I love carrying my "stuff" in it...pocket pc, Surefire light, multi-tool, small notebook and pen, my compact bible (I'm a pastor), etc. etc.

After a week it became second nature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.