Defensive Carry banner

HBE Goodness, Colt Mustang and Commander

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Eric Larsen 
#1 ·
I got my new IWB rig for my Colt Mustang(s) in today, I must say I'm overly thrilled with this transaction. Not many holster makers list the Mustang as an available option, and those did either didn't suit my liking for one reason or another, or didn't offer an IWB rig with offset loops. I contacted Eric Larsen on July 14th IIRC and asked about the possibility of getting a rig made up the way I wanted it, he replied to my e-mail promptly and told me that he had a mold inbound, quoted me an excellent price and that was it, I gave him the details I wanted over the phone a couple of days later and it was all good. We traded calls/emails over the course of the deal, and I was never left feeling like I wasn't going to get a call or an email back.

Not a bad turn around time from initial contact to delivery date for a gun that's not even listed on his website.

Without further chatter, here's the pics.

H.B.E. COM III IWB Black w/ black shark, 1.5" loops.

I am greatly pleased with this holster, I can't wait to start carrying this set up, I've been putting off ordering a holster for this gun for a long time, I've been making due with a Don Hume clip on and a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for too long.

I got the following holster from AZ Husker, it's for a Commander sized 1911, but it's working well for my Hi Power from On Target Custom and it's been filling the role nicely, it's just a hair too short for the HP, but I don't mind.

H.B.E. Pancake black w/ black shark.

Needless to say, H.B.E. is now on my short list of who to place an order with.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great looking rig JD!!! Love them Mustangs and after seeing yours one is going on my "must have" list. Cheers to Eric for another fantastic holster and great customer service. :bier:

#8 ·
Excellent taste in handguns and holsters, JD!

The Com III is a great design and Eric's execution is flawless.

I gotta get a Mustang! (Sigh . . . does it never end . . . )

#9 ·
Very nice I have always been fond of the Mustang's as well. Won't say I like it over my P232, but I sure would like to own one. Wish I would have picked one up when they were reasonable!! I can't believe what they are selling for now.

NCH

#10 ·
Well thanks for the great thread guys! I appreciate it very much. Ive loved the mustangs since my dad had one when they came out...very cool little gun.
Id love one with an extended safety...just make it like a new STI only smaller! :D

Anyway......Thanks again, Im glad you like it. It was fun to make......God bless

#11 ·
No, thank you. You did a great job on it, wore it all day today and it felt like nothing. I always wanted a Mustang or three, I remember looking in the Colt catalogs back in the late 80s early 90s when I wasn't even 12 yet, I always had a thing for those little pistols.

This is a really nice rig, and I gotta' say with no BS that this was one of the best transactions with a holster maker that I've ever had. :hand2:

#12 ·
Both are classy looking...very nice!
Easily makes a guy want some new leather...:yup:

Stay armed...in style...stay safe!

#13 · (Edited)
Gotta have another one

JD after seeing your gun and holster I was green with envy. Have a line on a .380 Colt Govt. that may be in my mitts shortly. Soon as I have it the call to Eric is going in for another COM III for the lil guy. Want to state here that I have alot of admiration for Eric. After all the adversity he has faced and being able to bounce back in a big way speaks loudly for his character and cohonas (sp). My last 3 orders from him: 1 COM III, 1 Askins OWB and a belt have been completed quickly and the holsters and belt are pure quality! Congrats to both of you!

Roger

COM III

Askins

#14 · (Edited)
I'm just happy to see that there are folks here who still care and respect the .380 pistols. Me? Ah yeah! I have two P232, one stainless and one blue, also one PPK/S stainless and one PPK in blue. All four are .380s!!! :danceban:

JD, beautiful holster for your Mustang. I may consider dressing up one of my .380s with that holster! :smile:

Thanks for sharing!

#15 ·
WOW--Gotta have one. Thanks for posting that JD.

That is beautiful.

#16 ·
Not a problem, I think I've carried the rig every day since receiving it and I gotta say that I'm quite impressed with it, due to the short muzzle and the overall shape of the rig with the "stabilizing wing", I can wear this just in front of the point of the hip right between an average appendix location and 3 o'clock which give me the best location as far as concealment vs. accessibility is concerned. I can carry it strong side, or behind the hip as the cant is not too severe which is exactly what I wanted, I was worried that too extreme of a cant would negate some carry positions, especially when carrying the standard Mustang which has a smaller grip frame than the +II.

The rig totally disappears under my shrunken Polo shirts where some of my other guns tend to print badly, I haven't done much T-shirt only carry as that's usually not how I dress regardless of if I'm carrying or not, but I don't think I'll have any issues concealing this setup.

The rig is holding up nicely, keeping it's shape and retention even in the heat, I've had some leather that would soften as the day went on, but this is staying nice and firm. I've had no issues with excess dye bleeding off onto clothing, the snaps are not coming undone without being physically undone.

The only bit of a complaint I have is that I still can't fit my whole index finger in the area directly under the trigger guard as it's a little too close to the top edge of the holster, while I can still get a good grip for drawing, it's not the grip that I prefer. I'm going to ask Eric if he might be able to relieve that area a little bit, but I'm in no rush to send this holster away.

Other than that I've got no complaints.

#17 ·
When I saw the original post here on August 7th I ordered one for my Mustang. It came today - a total of 13 days including shipping time. My last holster from a different maker took more like 13 weeks. I'm impressed!

Handgun holster Leather Gun accessory Revolver

#18 ·
When I saw the original post here on August 7th I ordered one for my Mustang. It came today - a total of 13 days including shipping time. My last holster from a different maker took more like 13 weeks. I'm impressed!
:congrats: Very nice, I'm glad to see that Eric is getting some money back on the mold, now I don't feel so bad for asking for a holster that he didn't have a mold for.

:biggrin2:

Libertarian, you'll love that holster if you don't all ready. :hand10:

#19 ·
Com 3

Great looking leather as always from Eric. I am considering ordering one for my Mustang . I have one Com 3 now and it's great. I was wondering could one of you guys post a pic with it on so I could see how the ride height is with such a small pistol. If you can I would appreciate it very much.

#20 ·
Great looking leather as always from Eric. I am considering ordering one for my Mustang . I have one Com 3 now and it's great. I was wondering could one of you guys post a pic with it on so I could see how the ride height is with such a small pistol. If you can I would appreciate it very much.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow, it's getting late and I don't feel like playing photo shoot this close to bed time. :bier:

#23 ·
Originally Posted by cashman
Here you go:

Electric blue Strap

Blue Red Electric blue Jacket Outerwear

Its under there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.