make P220 work or get something smaller for carry?

This is a discussion on make P220 work or get something smaller for carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My smallest handgun is a full size P220. I haven't tried an IWB with it yet but I have a Bianchi Shadow 2 which sucks ...

Thread: make P220 work or get something smaller for carry?

Question make P220 work or get something smaller for carry?

My smallest handgun is a full size P220. I haven't tried an IWB with it yet but I have a Bianchi Shadow 2 which sucks the gun up nice and close to my body (it rides quite high though) but it still feels too big, esp. when the weather is hot and I have to dress accordingly. I've tried button down short sleeve shirts untucked but it still seems to print to me. I don't want to buy an IWB holster to find out it doesn't conceal much more than my Bianchi.

I've read a number of times where people say they carry a full size P220 with no problems but it doesn't seem to work for me, at least not with the holster I have now.

Your thoughts please: do you think an IWB holster would make a P220 much much more easy to conceal or should I opt for something smaller?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You could go with a Sig 245 or a 220 compact.....smaller pistol but yet the same round.......the 245 is my next pistol......I rented a 245 the last time i was at the range sweet gun to shoot.......

I carry a P220 a lot of the time, and with a large gun like that IWB will definitely conceal better with light clothing. I don't care for T-shirts but an untucked button down shirt is what I wear year round except for the 3 weeks or so of cold weather we get here

I use an Alessi PCH and a Rosen ARG, depending on what color belt I'm wearing, and both make the gun disappear. Of course, I'm a big guy and I've been wearing IWB for years so it's no problem for me, but IWB does take some getting used to when it's new to you.

I have UBG Canutes for a couple of other guns and I really recommend that holster too. And there's lots of other good IWB rigs available. If I were you I'd stick with the gun you're comfortable with and make it work for you. Good luck.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

My P220 Compact rolls in a Comp-Tac MTAC and is comfortable.

IIRC the full size is the same width as the compact -a little longer with more grip but same width - so I think the MTAC will work for you, too.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I often carry my Sig-245 in a COMP-TAC MTAC. It is totally concealable and very comfortable.

Lead Moderator
    It just might be the holster. I know we have folks on the forum that carry a 226 all the time, and I believe that is just a bit bigger.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I'll be carrying my P220 in an MTac IWB as soon as I can make things work. I have two other carry options, the G19 and G27, so for now, the P220 gets the nod for OWB carry under a jacket and that means cooler weather.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

Until I changed over to a 1911 I carried a P-220R every day in a VM-II without any problem. When I can get the loot, I'll prolly get a P-220 SAO and carry it the same way.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Though virtually anything can be concealed, as evidenced by this video, for my personal tastes, the full size 220 is a bit large for concealed carry. Not saying it can't be done, just that I don't care to carry something that large. Personally, the largest framed guns I conceal carry are the Sig 239 or Sig 245. I'd suggest looking for something a bit smaller, but then I'm always looking for any excuse to buy another gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thumbs up decided on a G30

Picking up a G30 with a 9 round mag to make the height a little smaller Thursday. I'm also doing my first IDPA shoot at the same place. Needless to say, I'm excited about Thursday, getting a new pistol and doing my first IDPA shoot at the same time.

I'm going to bring my digi cam and hopefully get someone to film me doing my IDPA runs. Friend and I have filmed each other doing combat focused shooting and it really helps to go back and watch yourself. You're doing so much so fast it's hard to pick out your mistakes or what you could do better by just trying to remember what you did. Video is great. Plus when you do a good run you can show off to your friends.

I might carry the P220 in the winter when it's easier to conceal.

Links