Why Brown?

This is a discussion on Why Brown? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking around for a new holster. I notice that most of the concealable holsters are brown. Brown shows up real well when your ...

Thread: Why Brown?

Why Brown?

I've been looking around for a new holster. I notice that most of the concealable holsters are brown. Brown shows up real well when your jacket blows open or your shirt lifts. It's real obvious what that brown thing on your belt is. Most guys I've "spotted" were wearing brown holsters.

Black on the other hand, or dark gray, doesn't show up well and could be anything.

Why do holster makers make most of the concealables in brown? Don't they understand that they are reducing the effectiveness of their product?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I've been looking around for a new holster. I notice that most of the concealable holsters are brown. Brown shows up real well when your jacket blows open or your shirt lifts. It's real obvious what that brown thing on your belt is. Most guys I've "spotted" were wearing brown holsters.

Black on the other hand, or dark gray, doesn't show up well and could be anything.

Why do holster makers make most of the concealables in brown? Don't they understand that they are reducing the effectiveness of their product?
    I can't say as though I agree with your assertion at all. If someone gets a quick peak at what I'm packing (assuming it's an OWB), I seriously doubt they're going to think it's anything but a gun, regardless of what color the holster is.

I believe holsters are made in colors that match the belt they are worn on, which, in turn, is generally matched to the "dressiness" of the situation (which includes color of shoes) ... IOW black shoes, black belt, black holster & brown shoes, brown belt, brown holster.

All of this is assuming OWB ... with an IWB holster, only belt loop color (which again can and should be changed to match the belt color) is relevant while holster color is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

HTH

Lead Moderator
    I would disagree . Most times if someone sees black on a belt they would think gun (a lot of guns are black). My buddy had PD called on him for wearing a empty holster in black.
    I feel brown , tan or similar is less likely to be considered a gun first and foremost. Color association seems to equal black means gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I must disagree. I do not see how a black holster hides better than a brown one. Concealment has much more to do with clothing and movement than any color of the leather. If fact, I don't believe that I've ever noticed 'leather color' discussed as a concealment factor.
    I see leather color as a matter of taste...little of anything else.
    'Concealed is concealed' has nothing to do with the color of the leather. OMO, of course.

Stay armed...stay concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is one of the reasons folks consider custom holsters. Many (most) decent holster makers have a range of colors. To my way of thinking, holster color does one thing for you: aids concealment. So, pick the color that works with your choice of clothing. Which means, to some degree, pick your clothing accordingly.

Me: I have black pants/shirt when carrying OWB when I do not want it to become immediately obvious that I'm carrying; and this is generally worn with a light jacket or cover shirt. If IWB, I pick the holster color to match the belt and pants loops color to be least obvious; and this works better with a darker shirt. It's why I don't select bright/shiny pistols. It's why I have a couple brown, a couple black, and a couple cordovan/cherry colored holsters.

Want choices? Consider having a holster made up by one of the custom shops. Fist Holsters has a fairly short turnaround time, has a wide selection of holster types, and offers numerous colors.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For me, it's never been an issue, one way or another. Concealed is concealed.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

kpw
    I ordered a brown holster because it matched the brown belt and mag pouch that I ordered. Seriously though, most of my belts and holsters are black and I just wanted something different. I think most makers ship more black holsters than any other color.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I have both black and brown belts and holsters for my carry guns. I feel that either color conceals equally well. I change colors depending on the clothing that I wear.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I choose black because black is black. A brown mag pouch from maker x will not necessarily match the brown holster from maker y. In fact, the brown from x on one piece may not match the brown on another from x.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I disagree also, I have quite a few cordovan (dark brown) holsters with shark trim and worn on a black belt it's hard to tell the difference. Light brown maybe but not dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post

I also don't think one color conceals any better than another. If you only wore white t-shirts, you may consider having a holster died white and carrying a stainless firearm with white pearlite grips for ultimate concealment, but I don't really thing most of us are willing to do that. As far as "Why do holster makers make most of the concealables in brown?", it's because that's the way we order them. Color is just a personal preference and nothing more.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Some very good points. For myself, I usually wear black pants and a dark colored shirt so black blends very well and the light brown sticks out. I was just thinking that the holster may be less noticeable in black bc most cell phone holders, knife cases, flashlight holders etc. are black. I always thought that if someone was going to get a glimpse, it would be best if they thought it was something other than a gun.

Paint the thing bright pink with purple polka dots for all I care!!! If you are properly concealing the weapon nobody should ever be able to tell what color it is, and if they do see it you failed on your part to properly conceal, has nothing to do with the color of the holster. As already stated on this forum, 10,000 times, Concealed means Concealed, period!!
    The craftsmen offer different colors for personal tastes that's it!!
    The only point I can see are the loops on a IWB should match the belt only if you are tucking your shirt, otherwise who cares. I also like the new Jean clips from K&D and have ordered a set on my new order.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

If I have 2 pictures, one of a black lab and the other of chocolate lab, and I quickly show those pictures to the average Joe, do you think he'll say the black one looks like a blob while the chocolate one looks like a dog? He'll most likely say both are pictures of a dog. My point is color, in and of itself, is not going to change what the casual observer thinks the big object on your hip is.

Now if you're dressing like you're the reincarnation of Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold, I guess the black holster and black gun will fit right in ...

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    For me, it's just a simple preference. I like brown.

Links