Newbie looking for a IWB holster...where it start?

This is a discussion on Newbie looking for a IWB holster...where it start? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a new CHL Im looking for a holster and dont really know where to start. Seems to be a endless list of names of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As a new CHL Im looking for a holster and dont really know where to start. Seems to be a endless list of names of manufactures with pros and cons on their offerings.

Im finding that what seems to fit my smallish build for the SIG P6 I planning on carrying is placing the handgun IWB area between my pants zipper and forward of my r/h pants pocket. I think Ive seen mention that this is refered to as "mexican carry".

Does someone manufacture a hoster that would fit in this area?

Thanks

Try a search for "appendix carry".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Try the Tennessee Holster Compant at gun-works.com. They make a IWB holster that can be worn at just about any location and angle. I'm pretty sure they make it for the Sig.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Mexican carry is when no holster is used and you simply place the gun between your pants and your body, not recommended. The position you refer to is termed "appendix carry" and for me it is very uncomfortable, but we all must find what works for us. A IWB holster is usually worn between 3:00 and 5:00 position on the body. May I suggest you scroll down the list of threads and find a thread I posted about the Thunderbird from K&D. This holster is a new design from K&D and allows you to wear the holster IWB or OWB so it is very versatile and cen be worn in many different positions, plus the quality of K&D is top notch.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I use the Crossbreed super tuck.

It works best 3-9 o'clock depending on your dominate hand. I find appendix carry to be uncomfortable, esp if I am driving.

If your interested in carrying towards the front you definitely want to consider a Smartcarry. I just got mine about 3-4 days ago and I carry an M&P 45 (4 inch) no problem. (And it is COMFORTABLE) I probably wouldn't go for the tuckable option, I usually wear a shirt hanging out anyway. Very good option for cargos and a tshirt during the summer. During the winter I have better cover garments and usually go for the IWB (Comptac MTAC) at the 3:30-4:00 position)

Enjoy your search....there are tons of options out there.

TOF
    I am not into appendix carry but am quite happy with my M&P40 FS riding at 3:30 to 4:00 in a Galco Summer Comfort. I have one for my Ruger GP100 also. You quickly forget they are there as there is no discomfort. The Summer Comfort runs $80 with tax and freight.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Check out the FIST holsters.

Untitled Document

They have a slug of them to choose from . They can customize a little for not much extra - such as cant etc.

The various clip ons (either in Kydex or leather - thin or reinforced etc.) could be just the ticket. Be sure to look at the videos that come with the different syles.

I have the #19 variation of the # 20. I love it. Good quality and highly adjustable. Of course, it's not really for appendix carry - just sayin.

The site should give you some ideas, anyway.

MARV

Your first move is to clear a drawer that will in time be filled with holsters that didn't work for you and ones you keep for specific purposes (deep cover, normal, OWB, etc.)

This is the only true path to the proverbial "drawer full-o-holsters" we all have.

All kidding aside, "Mexican" carry is purposefully poking Mr. Murphy in the eye; regardless of pistol-you *want* a holster that covers the trigger.

Futher, you need a purpose-specific gun belt (double thick leather, Wilderness Instructor, etc.); the belt is as important as the holster and you *need* a gun belt (especially with all steel firearms).

Regardless, don't skimp: "good" stuff can very easily mean the difference between being able to carry concealably, comfortably, and safely for long periods of time. Go the cheap stuff route, and you might not be able to do any of those three for any length of time (and you'll simply add to the previously mentioned drawer). Buy once, cry once.

Experiment with different styles and positions on your person: some folks like 3-4 o'clock, other more forward, and other still like thier appendix (1-2:30-ish). Even experiment with different positions with different holsters (you will have a few no doubt)....one may work well in one position but doesn't in another-on you (but it may work great on your buddy).

C-

Fist...Fist...Fist...

Go to 'Related Links' above...search out Fist.

I have 30+ holsters from them...great products...reasonable $$$...quick delivery.
    If you're not interested in Fist...get yourself a big box...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Those FIST holsters look great. I'll have to give one a shot for my next purchase. Which one is best for a tuckable IWB? Can I use velcro clips with them?

Other IWBs to consider are the K&D Dakota Defender, MTAC and a High Noon holster (I like the Split Decision). I have the last two and am waiting on the Dakota Defender.

The holster drawer suggestion is a good one. I like most all of mine but do see a trend of having too many basically doing the same thing developing.

Check Mitch Rosen Gunleather.

You will thank me later.

Biker

#8 FIST kydex

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Those FIST holsters look great. I'll have to give one a shot for my next purchase. Which one is best for a tuckable IWB? Can I use velcro clips with them?
    I purchased a belly band before I decided on which FIST to get. I ended up liking it a lot and decided that the "tuckable" feature wasn't as important to me in an IWB purchase.

It makes things very "thin" under the belt. Very important, IMO.

I alternate between the band and my leather IWB - depending on whether I wearing it with jeans and a t shirt or my daily sport coat. Also have a MICA pocket holster for quick trips to the store and the like. My 3 holsters do it all and I'm very happy with them all.

Bands and pocket holsters can be had for under $30 - almost nothing, so why not?

Ended up with a number 19 in leather - very adjustable but with no "tuckable" feature. I do have quick take off snaps on it for those times when I want to take off my jacket for a short time. (I use this rig a lot under a sport jacket or suit.)

But before I went that way I was pretty much sold on the idea of the FIST #8 Kydex. Take a look at it.

It's extremely thin and comfortable (you can put some mole skin on the back side of the kydex for comfort - a good idea with kydex anyway to assure that it stays put). Check out all those custom possibilities - cant, snaps, invisible velcro- you name it.

Price is right too.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the input,

The FIST K4A w/velcro looks good for what I need. I may pick one up for my new CBOB. Will the velcro one clip design be OK with the weight of a CBOB?

Have you heard anything about the Crossbreed QuikClip? I understand you can use it for cross-draw but I wonder if it conceals as well as the Super Tuck (which is not recommended for cross-draw). I always have my shirts tucked in and I want a good concealed holster for cross-draw.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links