Josh Bulman - Page 2

Josh Bulman

This is a discussion on Josh Bulman within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not only does Matt still answer the phone, but he will talk your ear off! Just kidding, Matt. Folks, I know I'm not the only ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Bulman

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Not only does Matt still answer the phone, but he will talk your ear off!

Just kidding, Matt.

Folks, I know I'm not the only one of the board who will tell you that Matt is one of the finest gentelman craftsman you will ever deal with. Still does business the old fashioned way, and I don't say that about many people.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Matt - when you reduce your backlog will your lead time still be two years or is your goal less than that?
    I am hoping it will be less.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Matt, Sorry but my saying "Shut down" was misunderstood. I was simply trying to state that you were no longer taking new orders, perhaps I should have stated "Shut Down to New Orders". I'm glad we agree on the fact that it's poor business practice to ignore customers.
    You know how fast information flies around the internet. I just didn't want people to think I'd gone out of business. I always get a little cranky when "long delivery times" and "no communication" end up, in essence, being lumped together in these posts. You can have one without the other. There are actually three issues at hand; known looooonnnng delivery times (me, unfortunately), misquoted delivery times (as described by the OP, you and others) and makers who are incommunicado (also described by the OP, you and others). The first two can certainly be disappointing for the customer who needs/wants something right away. In situation #1, they do have the opportunity to decide before ordering if they want to wait that long. In both #1 and #2, the customer can alter or cancel the order at anytime before the items are made. When #3 comes into play, how is the customer to know his order has been received (as in your case)? How can he find out why the order has not been delivered as quoted? Is the maker behind on orders, out of business or simply not responding? How can the customer alter or event cancel the order? As I said, I understand the first to situations. Not the third. BTW, this whole discussion is completely aside from the quality of the product produced.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    In a way I hate to add more to the thread, but every time I see Matt's name I want to post what a gentleman he is who has the customer's satisfaction at heart.
    He is also a superb craftsman and no one is better.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Thank you very much Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Matt:
    When you decide to resume taking orders there's plenty of us just waiting to place orders with you. I've got a Nighthawk Custom just begging for something special in exotic skin.
    Jack
    Thank you Jack. I'll post that info on my web site as soon as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Not only does Matt still answer the phone, but he will talk your ear off!

Just kidding, Matt.

Folks, I know I'm not the only one of the board who will tell you that Matt is one of the finest gentelman craftsman you will ever deal with. Still does business the old fashioned way, and I don't say that about many people.
    Gonzo
    Uh....I guess I've just made your point

Thank you very much Gonzo!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I'll agree with that Matt and I'm sure your aware of the quality of Josh's work. It just seems to be the trend in the industry anymore which is unfortunate. I can only think of a handful that can easily be reached and will take the time to answer your questions to ensure your getting what you want and will also acknowledge the receipt of your order. Based on my experiences that includes you, Lou, Tony, John Ralston and Alex Nossar, then again they are the only makers I have dealt with. Lou recommended Josh as he didn't have a dummy for what I needed and that was good enough for me. It's just good business practice as well as common courtesy to respond to e-mail, phone calls, etc.

I always thought the problem revolved around the fact that makers like Del Fatti will take on (almost) any project - it's axiomatic that a true custom maker will get far behind once his product is mentioned in a gun magazine. I have Del Fatti rigs - one delivered in about six weeks - but that was 1999 or so.

I think the niche that needs to be exploited is the semi-custom holster - top-quality, hand-boned rigs but limit the designs and options. A pancake, Avenger, and a snap-on for OWB - and two or three IWB options.

If a want a combo shark - elephant - stingray - two-tone OWB rig with a 14.7 degree cant, I know the wait will be looooong. Under four months would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    I always thought the problem revolved around the fact that makers like Del Fatti will take on (almost) any project - it's axiomatic that a true custom maker will get far behind once his product is mentioned in a gun magazine. I have Del Fatti rigs - one delivered in about six weeks - but that was 1999 or so.

I think the niche that needs to be exploited is the semi-custom holster - top-quality, hand-boned rigs but limit the designs and options. A pancake, Avenger, and a snap-on for OWB - and two or three IWB options.

If a want a combo shark - elephant - stingray - two-tone OWB rig with a 14.7 degree cant, I know the wait will be looooong. Under four months would be great.
    Great idea - you've just described the Milt Sparks Holster company. They offer a fixed catalog of models with a couple of simple options for each and they build them to order using top quality hand crafted methods. By keeping the selection and options simple and minimal they're able to speed up production and avoid undue delays. But as their current backlog shows, if you do something really well you're going to get lots of business, often times more than you can handle. I applaud Tony's new quota system and his efforts to keep his backlog to what he considers an acceptable level.

But then again, the point of this thread is not about long delivery times, it's about lack of communication between a maker and his customers. As Matt said, you can have one without the other.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

The Milt Sparks delivery times are about six months, I think. They offer options - shark trim, etc., and lots of models. It was just a thought for some talented holster maker.

Administrator
    Well, Tony at M. Sparks has some pretty clear, concise, and very common-sense instructions printed on the Sparks web site in the "Contact Us" area of the site.
    He obviously gets swamped with large volumes of mail and so he has figured out a way to answer it all without eating his entire day up.
    So it IS possible to be very busy and STILL not neglect or totally ignore your customer base.
    Kudos to Tony.

I do not know what kind of operation Josh is running but I am guessing he is a one man show where answering emails and talking on the phone just slows down production. For me, the end product still speaks louder than customer service. I think we can all agree that if Matt Del Fatti cursed our mothers and told us to eat poop, we would still be in line for his leather work. I admit it is really difficult to wait patiently for our leather to arrive but at least Josh takes no money until the product is ready to ship. Perhaps my views will change if my order goes longer than 1 year.

Hi orangehole,
    [I think we can all agree that if Matt Del Fatti cursed our mothers and told us to eat poop, we would still be in line for his leather work.]

Speak for yourself. No we don't all agree. I wish you had not used his name.
    Of course Matt is a truly fine gentleman as well as being one of the absolute best craftsmen.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi orangehole,
    [I think we can all agree that if Matt Del Fatti cursed our mothers and told us to eat poop, we would still be in line for his leather work.]

Speak for yourself. No we don't all agree. I wish you had not used his name.
    Of course Matt is a truly fine gentleman as well as being one of the absolute best craftsmen.

Regards,
    Jerry
    +1, my money does not go to someone who has no integrity no matter how good the product is. We have seen alot of good and bad examples of how to handle the customer service side of the business on these forums by some rather big names in the business. I will keep sending my money to the ones that can provide a great product and good customer service.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Orangehole:
    I'm guessin' you were intending that as a compliment but I agree with Jerry and Bowie. Although I'm proud of my work and the growth in the quality of craftsmanship I've tried to accomplish, I have never been arrogant about my work. Every day brings an effort to improve what I do. If I ever stop trying to better what I built the day before, I'll hang up my tools for good. NO ONE is so good that they can ignore the customer. I certainly work for money but also to make the customer happy they were able to wait while I built them the holster they wanted. Over the many years I've been designing and building gun leather, I've been VERY lucky to have many repeat customers. I don't take that lightly.

BTW, like most people of Italian descent, I think that Mothers are to be revered and NEVER cursed!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    BTW, like most people of Italian descent, I think that Mothers are to be revered and NEVER cursed!
    Yes my comments were meant as a compliment. I am a city boy married to an Italian woman with a huge family of Peter's,Louie's,Vinny's,Johnny's etc., and you tend devolope a thick skin real quick to jabs here and there and learn not to take things so seriously. I have a warped sense of humor and tough skin and did not mean anything as an insult. I still stand by the end product than someone being nice to me was my only point.
    Last edited by orangehole; August 17th, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Yes my comments were meant as a compliment. I am a city boy married to an Italian woman with a huge family of Peter's,Louie's,Vinny's,Johnny's etc., and you tend devolope a thick skin real quick to jabs here and there and learn not to take things so seriously. I have a warped sense of humor and tough skin and did not mean anything as an insult. I still stand by the end product than someone being nice to me was my only point.
    Hey Dave:
    As I said, i figured you were paying me a compliment and for that, thank you. Yes my sense of humor is often a bit twisted too. It usually jumps from my brain and out through my mouth in conversation before I can stop it. Unfortunately, it almost never has the same effect in print.

I DO disagree with you about the end product over-riding any customer service. There are certainly quite a few very good holstermakers who DO appreciate the customer enough to stay in contact. I know I wouldn't do business with someone who wouldn't acknowledge my order, answer the phone or return my calls or emails.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I appriciate all the comments and I really didnt want to get another complaint thread started, but its frustrating for someone to have several hundred of my hard earned dollars and not even take the time to let me know he's still breathing or in business. Though I've heard some fine things about his work, I have to admit that I doubt it will be so much better than the Galco I bought to use while the order was being made. My holster was promissed to arrive in June and it didnt and I can be paitent, but if your not going to get it done in time, let me know, I can deal with that, but dang it folks.

The worst part of it is that I've received messages from members here about how he has responded to their emails within days of me sending mine (not to count the voice messages). I'd think that a rare possibility of an official government address might end up in a junk mail file, but heck it worked fine when he was taking my money.

Just frustrating.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    ANother reason I refuse to pay up front for anything. A deposit is one thing but never full payment, just as soon do without!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links