Kydex???? - Page 2

Kydex????

This is a discussion on Kydex???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TDC wrote: Are you serious?? Its a tool. You carry it to preserve life, not pick up chicks. Firearms like all tools will show wear, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kydex????

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    TDC wrote:
    Are you serious?? Its a tool. You carry it to preserve life, not pick up chicks. Firearms like all tools will show wear, break, and eventually become unusable. Anyone or anything wishing to rob you of your existence won't care so why should you? When it breaks or becomes to much of an eye sore to carry, buy another one...

TDC
    I have to agree with TDC. If you want to keep your gun in sparkling new condition, keep it in a safe and don't ever shoot it or carry it. Any holster, whether kydex or leather will eventually rub off some finish.

My favorite Glocks:

It would be nice if the finish on our guns lasted for years and years of hard use, but it does not.
    I guess it is a lot like a new car. We park away from others when we can, and try to keep another's door from banging or a shopping cart from hitting it. Sooner or later there is a scratch.

It is just not possible to prevent wear to our guns and some paint damage to our cars.

I don't really know if kydex wears the finish more than leather. I use kydex at the range, and often leather for carry. I sure do like the snap of the kydex when drawing or holstering. I do not use leather at the range nearly as often as kydex.

Everybody needs a kydex paddle range holster. I have three kydex paddle holsters. When I go to the range it is easy to change them according to which gun I want to use.

Regards,
    Jerry

It adds character...and it's only a Glock.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have both leather (which I prefer) and kydex holsters. In hot weather, the kydex will not be as comfortable against your skin even with a T-shirt in between...OMO

Leather feels so much better...neither has caused much wear on my carry weapons over the years.

Kydex is definitely thinner, but it does not give like leather...I have found kydex holsters to sort of dig in to the skin over a long period of time.

I do like the kydex pocket holsters...kydex is better for pocket carry!

Stay armed...use a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I do like the kydex pocket holsters...kydex is better for pocket carry!
    I have never tried a kydex pocket holster, but you have my attention. Would you care to qualify that statement and enlighten me as to which holster? I have pondered an Aholster for my J-frame in the past.

Once again guys thanks for all the helpful info. I'm really glad i found this place, it's a wealth of knowlege.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I have never tried a kydex pocket holster, but you have my attention. Would you care to qualify that statement and enlighten me as to which holster? I have pondered an Aholster for my J-frame in the past.
    Be glad to...

Go to Related Links above...
    Search out Holsters...
    Find Fist holsters...
    Open the site and view 'kydex holsters'...
    Find #K5 kydex pocket holster...
    Open it...

You will see how this holster works. First of all, it is extremely thin. You will notice that is it slightly curved and this fits the thigh rather well. Then pay particular attention to the little thumb tab. This is the best idea of all.
    I have had many pocket holsters. Most of them have the leather 'hook' that catches on the pocket as you draw...it doesn't always work. Others have a rough material that is supposed to keep the holster in the pocket...good luck.

That little thumb push is perfect...the gun exits smoothly every time...the holster stays in the pocket every draw. Because of the firmness of the 'thin' kydex, the gun reholsters easily, every time.

I am surprised that more people haven't discovered this little gem of a pocket holster idea...it's perfect.

You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Stay armed...the Fist pocket kydex holster is a 'keeper'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow, that is ultra thin. I may give that one a go. Thanks!

Hard molded horsehide = nature's kydex with less holster wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
    Hard molded horsehide = nature's kydex with less holster wear.
    True...also thicker and a little heavier. (ounces count in pocket carry) OMO, of course.

If it floats yer' boat...sail with that one.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually, my gun wears my Kydex! My stainless Springfield 1911-A1 has has a blasted dull finish on top of the slide and all but the sides of the frame. This is abrasive enough that it picks-up some black plastic streaks from my Blade-Tech IWB hoster.

My Kimber with KimPro finish and XD do get a little shiny where they rub, and have got through to the metal on Kimber after 6 years of CC.

I do the G27 in a kydex holster IWB all of the time in jeans and t-shirt (no undershirt). Mainly I carry the G19 in the same holster--DeSantis Scorpion. It's comfortable for me, and it doesn't hurt my pistols. Whatever marks happen to appear are easily wiped of the surface. Your worries are going to be negligible.

i have been wearing kydex for years with no wear on my glocks.

Kydex protects the gun from sweat & corrosion.

VIP Member
    been carrying my G30 in a kydex holster daily for 3 years and I don't see any abnormal wear

IMO, unless its a collector's item....its gonna get wear
    if you use it...its gonna get wear
    but IMO kydex doesn't damage it anymore than my leather holster

getting a couple of dings here and there does more damage than the kydex
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

i have kydex and leather holsters.ive carried my sig for 6mo. in kydex and don't see much wear.
    kydex seems to wear on 1or 2 small areas whereas leather wears slowly all over your gun.
    my kydex holster only wears on my trigger guard and kydex is always a little faster out of the holster.also mildew and humidy will not affect it.
    it does not bother my bare skin at all.i wear deep i.w.b.
    for cleaning just use mild soap and water and your done.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links