Kydex????

Kydex????

This is a discussion on Kydex???? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear alot of you saying that you use a kydex holster. I think they look great and would be very cool for the summer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kydex????

Kydex????

I hear alot of you saying that you use a kydex holster. I think they look great and would be very cool for the summer months in in FL. My only concern is that i have heard that kydex can scratch the gun. Any truth to this. or has any one had this heppen to them?
    I carry a G27 and don't won't it scratched to all hey.
    thanks for the advice.

I have used a rocketman holster for about 6 months with no problems. Hope this helps.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

If it doesn't fit quite right, it might make a very feint "rub" where the finish might start to look a little thin, esp on sharp edges on the slide. My p2k has a thin rub line along one of the slide ridges about 2" long. Can't see it unless you look for it, and although it doesn't bother me I'm going to be switching to a nice leather holster.

TDC
    Quote Originally Posted by bshoe View Post
    I hear alot of you saying that you use a kydex holster. I think they look great and would be very cool for the summer months in in FL. My only concern is that i have heard that kydex can scratch the gun. Any truth to this. or has any one had this heppen to them?
    I carry a G27 and don't won't it scratched to all hey.
    thanks for the advice.
    Are you serious?? Its a tool. You carry it to preserve life, not pick up chicks. Firearms like all tools will show wear, break, and eventually become unusable. Anyone or anything wishing to rob you of your existence won't care so why should you? When it breaks or becomes to much of an eye sore to carry, buy another one...

TDC

If a Kydex holster scratches guns, there are a lot of scratched up guns out there, because there are a lot of Kydex holsters out there. I use Kydex almost exclusively for carry and IDPA, and my guns show wear but no scratches. You can do a search on this, people discuss Kydex vs. leather wear all the time.
    What Would Gumby Do?

In my experience

I have had an MTAC for about 6 months and have no sign of wear in my P01's poly coat. If you just want to be sure tucker offers a leather lined series of Kydex holsters!

Good luck,
    Searn

Administrator
    Kydex and leather holsters both will eventually wear the finish off your daily carry firearm.
    Suede lined leather holsters can accelerate holster wear by trapping grit.
    If your carry gun is not showing any signs of "normal use" and also some "holster wear" then you are not practicing your draws enough with it.
    The finish will eventually wear unless you have your firearm Hard Chromed.
    Be proud of the finish that gets worn off of your carry firearm as it is indicative of the fact that you are serious about your self~defense.

You don't want to be walking around with a newbie pristine looking security blanket.

A hammer will always stay real new and "pretty looking" if you keep it hanging up on the peg board in your shop...but, when you have taken that hammer "in hand" and built your house with it...it's going to look like you've accomplished something worthwhile and positive with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Be proud of the finish that gets worn off of your carry firearm as it is indicative of the fact that you are serious about your self~defense.
    +1
    Your carry weapon is a tool that will show wear, you might as well get accept it and choose a holster that you enjoy no matter what the material.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Kydex will not scratch your gun, BUT any holster, kydex, leather or whatever, if used enough, will eventually show some form of wear. Just accept that a gun you carry everyday is going to show some use, just like anything else that gets put to use.Holster should be secure and comfortable, so you'll wear it and carry your gun as often as possible.

+1 on all of the above!
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Above, my Kahr P40 which has been carried for four years, kydex about 60% of the time. The finish is as pristine and flawless as the day I purchased it.

Below it is my blued Kimber which I have carried on and off for a year and a half. The Kimber has noticable holster wear. Both guns use holsters from the same craftman. One gun has holster wear and the other doesn't.

My conclusion? It's not the holster, it's the finish of your gun.

Lead Moderator
    To add, Glock makes a tough finish that resists wear. While the top coat(s) may show some wear, it has several to protect the bare metal under the coatings.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Kydex and leather holsters both will eventually wear the finish off your daily carry firearm.
    Suede lined leather holsters can accelerate holster wear by trapping grit.
    Animal suede, yes we agree. Thats like a magnet for dirt dust and oil. Synthetic (man made) suede is a whole different story. We did tests with both a number of years back, there was no comparasion, the synthetic just out performs on all levels. Especially in the durablity category. We use only synthetic since day one on some lines ( outside the pants). Leather lined is also another option, we use that on inside the pants.

Take care
    Justin

I think it depends on the guns finish some finishes wear faster than others
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    That's interesting. New one on me. Good added information.

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    Animal suede, yes we agree. Thats like a magnet for dirt dust and oil. Synthetic (man made) suede is a whole different story. We did tests with both a number of years back, there was no comparasion, the synthetic just out performs on all levels. Especially in the durablity category. We use only synthetic since day one on some lines ( outside the pants). Leather lined is also another option, we use that on inside the pants.

Take care
    Justin
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links