Best way to carry a G19 appendix carry?

This is a discussion on Best way to carry a G19 appendix carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a G19 "appendix" carry with a Glock sport holster at 1-2 o'clock. I wanted a holster to carry appendix IWB. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to carry a G19 appendix carry?

Best way to carry a G19 appendix carry?

I have been carrying a G19 "appendix" carry with a Glock sport holster at 1-2 o'clock.

I wanted a holster to carry appendix IWB.

What holsters would you recommend???

Do any of you carry a glock this way?

I would prefer to carry a holster that covers the entire slide, but open to good suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Either Raven Concealment or Peters Custom Holsters if you want Kydex.

VIP Member
    You might look at the FIST holsters.

FIST, Inc.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you're interested in a kydex holster...make one! I made one for a Kahr PM9, yes it's definitely smaller, but the concept is the same. Here's a link with what I made - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...kydex+kahr+pm9
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I suggest a Smartcarry....I bought mine a week or so ago and it is easily the most comfortable rig I've ever worn, plus it conceals my 4 inch M&P 45 better than anything I have used. (I'm 5'9"-155 pounds)

Trust me....give it a shot. You have a 60 day trial period so what have you got to lose?

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...look for something vertical/no cant...hi back/body shield that just covers the back of the slide...no more or when you sit down it will fold over or poke you in the ribs. A single steel spring clip is pretty much essential..as one with offset loops is too wide to wear right there. A single clip will keep it narrow.

Look around and see what you like...hope that helps.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

may I ask why you are set on appendix carry? I have found appendix carry the most uncomfortable form of carrying, especially with a Glock. If you are set on this location I would have to say the Smart carry would be the best choice for comfort.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
    I have been carrying a G19 "appendix" carry with a Glock sport holster at 1-2 o'clock.

I wanted a holster to carry appendix IWB.

What holsters would you recommend???

Do any of you carry a glock this way?

I would prefer to carry a holster that covers the entire slide, but open to good suggestions.
    I've carried a G27 in that position in an Uncle Mikes nylon clip holster. It's comfortable....for the first few hours or so, then it's tearing me up. Got a smart carry from one of the members here last month that I haven't tried yet, but I will. Appendix carry isn't my favorite for sure, but options are always good. I'd never think of carrying my G19 in that position though...that would be a bit too much for me. I'm also starting to get a wanna be gut, and I may have to quit this all-together. Again...different strokes for different folks.

While not quite appendix carry, I carry a G27 at 2:00 with a Crossbreed Super Tuck and it is pretty comfortable. I put the front belt clip close to the buckle and the rear clip is at 3:00. I like it there for 3 reasons:
    1) easier to put on and off (I'm not very limber and hate messing with attaching the holster behind my hip)
    2) I am much more aware of any printing and it seems to be more concealed than at 3:00 or further back on my hip
    3) easier/faster access (easier to move cover garmet with support hand and grab gun)

I also tried the MTAC but you need to trim off some of the leather at the bottom. Both of these holsters are very secure and distribute the weight of the holster/gun across a wide area. Wish it hadn't taken trying a half a dozen holsters in multiple positions over 6 months or more to find this one.

Maybe I am wierd since it seems that most people carry behind the hip but I couldn't get that to work for me.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    While I've not tried it, I saw this (maybe in a search, or maybe a recent thread here?). The EHUD Appendix carry holster.

Might as well get a holster specifically made for this method of carry (which is purported by many in the know as being the fastest draw there is). This one carries nice and high, good for comfort and draw I'd imagine. I doubt I could do it in my present (overweight) state, but if I were to slim down I'd sure give it a try!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

You want to cover the ENTIRE slide???

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
    The Maxprotect Model 32 by Horseshoe Leather Products is the ONLY one I've seen that fits THAT description. Have a look:

Gun Holsters for Firearms, Maxprotect Covert Holsters for Guns, Pistols and IDPA Shooting

I haven't seen THIS particular holster in person, but their products are ALWAYS world class!

Or, are you looking for a holster that simply covers the muzzle rather than leaving it exposed? If that's the case, there are tons of options available.

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    While not quite appendix carry, I carry a G27 at 2:00 with a Crossbreed Super Tuck and it is pretty comfortable. I put the front belt clip close to the buckle and the rear clip is at 3:00. I like it there for 3 reasons:
    1) easier to put on and off (I'm not very limber and hate messing with attaching the holster behind my hip)
    2) I am much more aware of any printing and it seems to be more concealed than at 3:00 or further back on my hip
    3) easier/faster access (easier to move cover garmet with support hand and grab gun)

I also tried the MTAC but you need to trim off some of the leather at the bottom. Both of these holsters are very secure and distribute the weight of the holster/gun across a wide area. Wish it hadn't taken trying a half a dozen holsters in multiple positions over 6 months or more to find this one.

Maybe I am wierd since it seems that most people carry behind the hip but I couldn't get that to work for me.
    This is exactly how I carry. Same Crossbreed holster, same position. Had to trim the bottom also.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

I am a bit bias since I helped design the Modern Combative Systems Appendix Carry Rig (ACR) from Raven Concealment. Here is a piece I wrote as to the thought process behind it.

It is important to be familiar with MCS' overall doctrine when it comes to combatives in order to realize the reason for appendix carry and the MCS ACR holster.

MCS concerns itself with open hand, impact, edged weapons and firearms within seven yards in any environment. The physical basis of MCS begins with open hand combatives. We do not teach a specific ready position but rather what is naturally a comfortable default position.

The hands are most swinging from the pocket seams up to about the mid torso. Picture swinging your hand up and down / in and out in this position like you were snapping your fingers. From this repetitive path of motion is where we work. It only makes good sense to have our tools positioned in this path. Making this motion forms a stable triangle from the base (your pocket seam) to the peak (your chest)

MCS is concerned with continuity of training from open hand-impact-edged weapons-firearms. What I mean but that is we know that you will always have your open hands and usually at least in improvised impact weapon, then depending on your situation an edged weapon or pistol.

When you train to access, deploy and use your edged weapons and pistol within the same triangle you use for open hand combatives two things happen, one you become faster, and two your transition between physical and mechanical force becomes seamless. This builds confidence and reliability. This is where the appendix carry and the specifically the Appendix Carry Rig comes in.

In MCS the pistol is not our talisman, not our tactical woobie. It is simply another mechanical force option that is also a deadly force option. We don't believe in gunfights. Only fights that may involve gun fire. Through training in the other levels of physical and mechanical force we try to avoid the typical default of the hand to the gun under any stress.

You don't pick up a Phillips or regular screwdriver before seeing what type of screw you need to use it on. Pistol craft is nothing more than another skills set. Made more important only by it's liability because of increased range. We don't believe that you are unarmed by not having one. But if you are in a position of being able to carry we endorse the appendix carry.

Not only does the appendix carry position the pistol inside the triangle, but it lends itself to being drawn not matter if you find yourself standing, crouching, on your back, on your stomach or on your sides. Why? Because to recover from any of these positions your hands are going to move past the appendix position, not to behind your hip, small of the back, ankle or whatever.

Another place the position shines is while seated behind the wheel of a car. Traditional holster placement puts your pistol under a concealment garment, secured over with a seatbelt. Slow at best. Where do your hands lay while seated? In your lap, right where your pistol is.

Through working with Raven Concealment along with the input of other great minds in the combative (not just gun fighting) industry we have been able to produce the Appendix Carry Rig, not just a holster.

The difference? A rig means just that, a platform that can be used with or without the use of additional mounting accessories to "rig" the holster to accommodate the broadest range of users ever imaginable.

If you view your pistol as just another option in your overall personal protection plan then the ACR is for you. If you view your pistol as a hammer and everything looks like a nail, then by all means, carry your hammer in whatever way makes you fell good.

Ramrod...I've got a bit more overhang than you do, but that photo you posted looks like torture! Anything poking me like that all day would cause me mental damage!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I use A-IWB 95% of the time that I'm not working. I use a Tucker Cover-up (there is a review with pics here on the site). The others that I would recommend are either the Raven, or the High-Noon "Mr. Softy."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links