Paddle Holster Question

Paddle Holster Question

This is a discussion on Paddle Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spoke with my cousin the other day about his CHL, I was telling him I was looking at a G30 and he suggested a ...

Thread: Paddle Holster Question

Paddle Holster Question

I spoke with my cousin the other day about his CHL, I was telling him I was looking at a G30 and he suggested a paddle holster for carrying in the 3 o'clock position IWB.

First, what is a paddle holster?
    Second, who makes a good quality one?

Any help would be great thanks.
    NRA Member

Go to Galco's website, they make a nice paddle holster. I currently have one for sale for a Sig P232 if you need one. Basically instead of a metal clip to retain the holster there is a large synthetic "paddle" this paddle is contoured to fit your hip. This makes the paddle holster very, very comfortable to wear. Some have a "roto" design like a cel phone holder that will allow the holster to rotate to any position you want. The only thing I don't care for is the fact the paddle plus holster places the gun to far away from the body. I prefer a good pancake holster with a quality gun belt that will pull the gun in tight to the body, same for the IWB type holsters. Everyone has their opinion and what works for them.
    Good Luck

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Yeah, paddle holsters are best used if you have a loose fitting cover garment like an unbuttoned shirt, a sport coat or any type of jacket.

They do stick out from you side rather prominently.

I only use a paddle holster for my bedside gun so if I have time to put on a pair of pants, I can put the paddle holster on any pants I'm wearing whether I have a belt on the pants or not.

Otherwise I wear IWB, OWB pancake type or a high chest mounted belly band type to keep the gun tucked in very close to the body.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I haven't heard of any IWB 'paddle' holster. Usually the paddle goes inside the pants on the hip, and the holster itself is OWB. Of course there are an awful lot of things I don't know.

Very good R.R. I didn't even notice that blunder. He is 100% correct the paddle type holsters are OWB, meaning the gun will ride outside the waist band and the paddle will be held in place between the body and your waist/belt.
    Good Pick up.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Comp-Tac makes some good ones. I have two. Some paddle holsters stick out more than others. I have found the Comp-Tac, and Fobus stay closer to the body than the Uncle Mike or the Galco that I have.

The higher ride ones tend to stick less close to the body, but I have found the two I mentioned do well under a shirt worn outside.

No paddle will be the equal of a pancake.

Regards,
    Jerry

A paddle holster is handy if you have to do a lot of on-and-off during the day. Also handy to just slip on for a quick trip. I've owned Galco and Safariland and have been pleased with both.
    Steve

I own a fobus owb paddle holster and it works great for me. Easy on and easy off. Works well with long shirt, vest, jacket, etc.
    It would definitely not be your only holster in the collection but a good choice to have plus they are inexpensive. As we ladies say "We have different holsters for different dress attire events". We buy holsters like accessories. One just won't due :)
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Sorry about that, I misunderstood my cousin. I see now that the paddle is an OWB holster.

Also, thanks very much for the help.
    NRA Member

Links