Got my Smart Carry in the mail

This is a discussion on Got my Smart Carry in the mail within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I got my Smart Carry holster in the mail and I love it. Here's my ...

Thread: Got my Smart Carry in the mail

Got my Smart Carry in the mail

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I got my Smart Carry holster in the mail and I love it. Here's my quick review

If your not familiar with the Smart Carry, it is a deep concealment holster that almost looks like a denim jockstrap with two pouches, one for your weapon, and one for a spare mag or speed loader, it is worn in the waistband, on the front of your body. I purchased the holster because my Galco Summer Comfort was just not doing a good enough job for my carry environment. I carry a Sig P-226 which is a large gun and it just printed too much. The last thing I want is someone to call 911 because they see a gun under my shirt.

Shipping took two days with USPS Priority mail from FL to NV. I opened the box for the Smart Carry and removed the holster.
    It looks very well put together with heavy duty stitching, Velcro, and elastic. I followed the instructions and put it on. It was quite comfortable, but I noticed I was printing a great deal. That kinda pissed me off but I got over it and drove on. After a while I decided that there must be a better way I can wear the holster to prevent printing. I found that if I wear it high, the butt of my Sig will print near my waistband of my jeans which i wear a belt over. I think because the waistband of jeans and its position on my body plus the belt it is very hard to notice the print. My relatives all knew I was getting the holster and cannot detect the print even when I tell them where to look. I can wear the holster with gun and spare mag in place and have no issues with comfort.

One thing that puts people off to the Smart Carry is that they believe they are carrying it with the muzzle pointing at their junk. That simply is not true. When wearing it properly your equipment is behind the holster. The holster actually protects your twig and berries from hostile action.

Charlie, the owner of the company, answers all e-mails personally and is a dream to deal with. I cannot recommend this holster more if you need a great deep concealment rig. You are not going to get world record draw times with this, but with practice I can draw and acquire a target just as easily as when I wore my Summer Comfort. After all, if your expecting .5 second draws and double taps, you should probably buy a speed rig. But good luck CCing that! If you guys have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email @ hooahbrit@hotmail.com
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    SmartCarry works for some people and not for others.

It works for me and I use it almost everyday. If it works for you you will think it is wonderful

If it doesn't work Charlie will take it back and you will wonder why people rave about SmartCarry
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

As a two year SmartCarry user let me urge a new user to experiment with the system. Move it right! Move it left! Make it ride a little higher! Make it ride a little lower! A little experimentation will result in the carry situation that is just right for you. It is a marvelously flexible and effective carry system. Good luck
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Nick, I just love your technical explanation of his to use a Smart Carry. I may have to go get one now and give it a roll.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I am glad that I don't need such a deep concealment holster. my dress is flexible enough that OWB and soon to be IWB works just fine. I did use a quality belly band years ago and it worked well for smaller guns. The biggest negatives with Smart Carry, Belly Band etc. is the draw time but this can be shortened with much practice as looser fitting pants. Glad it works for you, but I still don't want a firearm that close to my "Tree and Berries" lol!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Thanks for all the input guys. Paco, i would definitely say give it a roll - if you don't like it send it back and get your money back. The best thing is when you get it and figure it out, ask one of your shooting buddies, "Am I carrying my P-226 with an extra mag?" One more thing, I live in Vegas, and sweat . . . . A LOT. I spray the back of the holster with Febreze when I take it off. I don't like my holsters smelling like Nut Butter ;)
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

If it was made custom order Charlie will not take back any smartcarry 's that were made special. as I understand only standard ordered smartcarrys are returnable

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    It makes a nice groin protector as well. My little brother snapped his foot back one day while I was behind him and guess where that foot went?! Well, I was mostly just fine, but his foot hurt. I wear mine pretty much everyday. Not my preferred choice of carry, but sometimes IWB just won't cut it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I use mine throughout the summer months. Use pleated pants with a deep crotch and wear it low as possible so the business end of your pistol is down touching the inseam. Very comfortable, can draw faster from it than my tucked IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I use mine throughout the summer months. Use pleated pants with a deep crotch and wear it low as possible so the business end of your pistol is down touching the inseam. Very comfortable, can draw faster from it than my tucked IWB.
    This is hard for me to visualize working for me. Maybe my 5.11 shorts are just too tight. It's tough getting change from my pocket, yet alone a gun from my crouch.
    I guess if it work for you, great...I couldn't get away with it.

Sitting causes no problems? With a Kimber?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good review, NickEMT. Just curious, what size SmartCarry holster did you use? The P226 may be my next gun.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is hard for me to visualize working for me. Maybe my 5.11 shorts are just too tight. It's tough getting change from my pocket, yet alone a gun from my crouch.
    Yes, looser is better, both in the body of the pants and in the waistline. Belt doesn't have to be loose, just not real tight. When I draw, I suck my stomach in, so that helps create the room to draw. And when adrenaline is flowing, one can pull the gun out no matter how tight the beltline is.

Not sure how long your Kimber is. My XD slide is 7", with the frame just a tad longer, and it hides fine.

I did one thing different from Charlie's recommendation that helps keep the grip tucked in closer to my body. When I ordered my SmartCarry, I hadn't decided whether to buy the XD-45 compact (4" barrel) or the XD-45 tactical compact (5" barrel). Charlie recommended the medium SmartCarry for the 4" and the large Smartcarry for the 5", although he said the large might also work for the 4". I ordered the large, then ended up buying the 4" compact. The gun sits a little deeper in the holster, but it also pulls the grip in closer to my body than the medium does. I know this because I also own a medium SmartCarry.

Sitting doesn't bother me unless I want to sit with my knees together. I sit naturally with my knees about 18" apart. However, I am also concealing an SP-101 in my dual-holster SmartCarry, so those concealing only one gun may be able to bring their knees closer together.

I can cross my legs and rest one on the top thigh of the other with no problems. My guns hide so well that I often sit like this when talking to our security at work, and none of them have any clue I'm carrying. But yes, loose pants are better. Last year I wore some tighter pants (left over from pre-CCW days) and one retired LEO became suspicous, but he has since moved away.

SC doesn't work for everyone, but for some of us, it works very well.

My SC carries my CDP or J Frame in church great. Church is an environment where I am afraid someone is going to place their hand on my gun. SC cures that.

I could just kick myself for not getting one sooner!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If your pants are so tight that it's hard to get change from the front pocket, they're too tight for the smart carry.
    For me, I can only use it with loose pants. Adjust the carry up, down, left or right to suit you. I like mine and it works great with my MK9, 442 and Sig P230. Doubt I'll ever try to carry my P7 in it.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

The smartcarry I got from RamRod was GREAT. I wore it yesterday for a wedding, and in a tux I didn't have many options. I highly suggest one. I also danced in it, wore it with jeans, shorts, anything. Very versatile. It won't replace my IWB or OWB for daily activities, but for weddings, church, and other such activities I love it.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Good to have another positive review of the SmartCarry.

The biggest single mistake that people often make when trying SmartCarry for the first time is attempting to make it work with a gun that is too damned big.

I've read numerous accounts from people who became SmartCarry haters simply because they refused to modify their choice of weapon to fit the requirements of their desired concealment level. After the 5'10", 175 lb guy endures one day of trying to conceal a Glock 19 down there, not even being able to sit down, he goes online and calls it the "most uncomfortable thing I've ever tried in my life." Well, I wonder why.

Charlie, bless his heart, claims to carry a full-size 1911 in one of his rigs. I guess he never has to sit down. Otherwise, I just can't understand how he does it, as he is, judging from pictures, of quite small stature.

Nick, I'm glad that the SmartCarry is working out for you. As you've discovered, it is the concealment holster for all occasions. All those custom-made belt holsters - of which I have a number - are great until you lose the option of untucked shirts, an option that some of us practically never have because we have to dress neatly and professionally every day, with tucked-in shirts and well-fitting pants. A SmartCarry with a J-frame or single-stack, subcompact auto is the answer, and a very satisfactory one.

Links