Paddle holster versus belt holster ?

This is a discussion on Paddle holster versus belt holster ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the advantages/disadvantages of a OWB belt holster and OWB paddle holster ? I'm thinking the paddle holster would be easier to remove if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle holster versus belt holster ?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a OWB belt holster and OWB paddle holster ?

I'm thinking the paddle holster would be easier to remove if you ever change clothes or so places where CCW is not allowed. But how secure is it ? Since it doesn't attach to a belt, won't it wiggle or slide on the belt ?

Bearclaw Holsters Up A Creek - Paddle Holster

Bearclaw Holsters Standard Option - Belt Holster

Comp-Tac Belt Holster

Comp-Tac Paddle Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a OWB belt holster and OWB paddle holster ?

I'm thinking the paddle holster would be easier to remove if you ever change clothes or so places where CCW is not allowed. But how secure is it ? Since it doesn't attach to a belt, won't it wiggle or slide on the belt ?
    You're thinking right on the first part of your statement. Secure? The paddle goes between your body and inside of your pants, assuming you'll be wearing a belt, and tightly enough to support your pistol's weight, no issues. Besides, most paddle holsters have barbs that press outward above and below the belt from the inside of the pants. It will only wiggle or slide if you don't take care to do your part. I have a Fobus paddle holster for my large Glocks, I'm fixin' to get another one tomorrow for my SIG P220. Cold weather is just down the pike, I'll be using these alot as well as my leather belt holsters.
    I almost forgot----advantages/disadvantages? Those mainly lie with the end user in my opinion.

I have a fobus paddle holester for my XD 9 sub compact and really like it because it is easy to draw from and easy to take on an off when needed.
    I also have a belt holster but it moves around to much and does not stay close enough to my body for concealing. I like the paddle holster the best. I also have a leather paddle holster which cost me about $65 bucks at a gunshow but I still like the cheaper Fobus paddle holster the best.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

For me the paddle holsters are great for quick, easy removal when I need to disarm. My sidearm stays in the holster, trigger covered, safer and more convenient. A good paddle is secure and will work for most carry situations.

Belt holsters are naturaly better in that more secure on the belt and the sidearm is held closer to the body....better concealment.

I have and use both. My paddle get the most wear around the house and quick trips in town. When I need/want to carry for an extended period of time.....and need better concealment.....I go with an IWB or leather belt holster.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think I explained this in another thread yesterday. The paddle holster protrudes much farther from the body, especially the roto paddle holsters. A good OWB pancake holster and quality belt will pull the weapon in good n tight to the body where it should be.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Honestly it depends on the designs of both holsters. Ive had great paddles that could conceal in the winter and loved them...and Ive had them pinch me, ride up and almost fall out and come out when I draw my gun....
    A good belt slide (Askins Avenger) style holster is worth there wait in gold....great for cold weather concealment and range use.

For a better solid concealment rig for OWB...look at pancakes.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by MsXD9 View Post
    I have a fobus paddle holester for my XD 9 sub compact and really like it because it is easy to draw from and easy to take on an off when needed.
    I also have a belt holster but it moves around to much and does not stay close enough to my body for concealing. I like the paddle holster the best. I also have a leather paddle holster which cost me about $65 bucks at a gunshow but I still like the cheaper Fobus paddle holster the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    For me the paddle holsters are great for quick, easy removal when I need to disarm. My sidearm stays in the holster, trigger covered, safer and more convenient. A good paddle is secure and will work for most carry situations.

Belt holsters are naturaly better in that more secure on the belt and the sidearm is held closer to the body....better concealment.

I have and use both. My paddle get the most wear around the house and quick trips in town. When I need/want to carry for an extended period of time.....and need better concealment.....I go with an IWB or leather belt holster.
    When you're talking about the belt holster sitting closer/further to the body, are you using a kydex similar to the ones in the links above, or a leather pancake holster ?

If you want a more concealable Paddle Holster, take a look at the Kramer MSP Paddle.

It gives the best of both worlds.

Biker

Don't let some nay sawyers convince you, that you only need one holster. Including fanny packs, I currently have four holsters for my primary carry.

So, why not buy both.

I own a OWB holster for those times, when I need good concealment from a T-shirt or button down shirt un-tucked, but donít' feel like warring an IWB because I'll be sitting at dinner, or a movie. And a good quality OWB holster that tightens down close to your body is very hard for anyone to detect.

For conveyance a quality paddle holster is very hard to beat. Like others have said, being able to remove the whole rig and keep the trigger covered for safety is a big plus. However, instead of a injected molded holster I would recommend a quality leather paddle holster. While it may not fit as tight as an quality OWB holster it is almost as tight fitting, and again very hard for anyone to notice.

When I worked for the Fed's I use Pro-Fed Paddle Holster
    a holster by DeSantis similar to this one, and traveled all over the country, including New York, Chicago, California, Boston just to name a few, with a G19 covered by a sport coat, and only once did a very savvy older gentleman who was guarding one of Florida's supreme court judges notice.

If I was to buy a paddle holster today I would look at the ones listed below.

FIST, INC.

Kramer Handgun Leather: Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Don't let some nay sawyers convince you, that you only need one holster. Including fanny packs, I currently have four holsters for my primary carry...
    +1, I have 4 too.

My Blackhawk SERPA can be worn w/belt loops or paddle. I wear it in paddle mode w/the hooks adjusted to the size of my belt. It's very solid. You do have to learn how to remove it w/o undoing your pants but there's definitely an easy way to do it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post

Bearclaw Holsters Up A Creek - Paddle Holster

Bearclaw Holsters Standard Option - Belt Holster

Comp-Tac Belt Holster

Comp-Tac Paddle Holster
    I have the Comp-Tac paddle holster and it is very secure. No problems with it so far.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I have Fobus, Comp-Tac, Galco, and Uncle Mike's paddle holsters.
    Neither the Galco nor the Uncle Mike's holds the gun close to the body.
    On the other hand both the Comp-Tac and the Fobus (not the Roto) holsters do hold the gun close to the body.

I think the reason for this is that the UM and the Galco ride higher than the other two. The high ride does not support as much of the gun, and it tends to torque away from the body.

I have worn the Fobus and Comp-Tac with my shirt tail out and it does not print.
    I will agree that no paddle will hold the gun against the body as closely as a pancake, but I am not so sure that they won't do as well as the Askins, but not sure since I do not have one at this time. My own limited experience with the Askins is that it is not so tight as the pancake.

You will not make a mistake if you get a kydex paddle, and you will find it handy at times even if you have fine leather holsters. I can recommend either the standard Fobus or the Comp-Tac.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Honestly it depends on the designs of both holsters. Ive had great paddles that could conceal in the winter and loved them...and Ive had them pinch me, ride up and almost fall out and come out when I draw my gun....
    A good belt slide (Askins Avenger) style holster is worth there wait in gold....great for cold weather concealment and range use.

For a better solid concealment rig for OWB...look at pancakes.

Shoot well and god bless
    I'm with Eric. Had a Bianchi paddle that came apart at the screws and dumped my Sig 228 on the floor of my local Lowes. Promptly threw it in the trash when I got home. I have a Askins belt holster made by Eric and it is without a doubt the BEST OWB holster I have ever owned. Try it, you'll like it!

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    I have the Comp-Tac paddle holster and it is very secure. No problems with it so far.
    does it sit closely to the body ? By looking at the picture it looks like it weird, like it doesn't look like it's held close to the body. It might just be the picture though, and I don't know much about holsters

The paddle holster distributes the weight of the gun more evenly along the 'paddle'. This completely gets rid of the problem some people have with belt holsters 'poking them' or rubbing on their hip bone. What you give up for the comfort is a little bit of concealment. Some of the new holster makers (you mentioned bearclaw) have streamlined the design of paddles so they are more concealable than they used to be.

Belt holsters put more of the burden of weight on the belt, and push inward very slightly just below the bottom of the belt. A well designed belt holster will lay flat with the body so as to maximize concealment and comfort.

You won't have to worry about the paddle wiggling or making noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links