TTGunleather OWB holster & mag pouch

This is a discussion on TTGunleather OWB holster & mag pouch within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided for my 30th birthday this year, I was going to buy myself my first "real" leather holster. For the better part of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTGunleather OWB holster & mag pouch

TTGunleather OWB holster & mag pouch

I decided for my 30th birthday this year, I was going to buy myself my first "real" leather holster. For the better part of a week, I clicked and clicked, searched and read, studied and contemplated ... and decided to call Tim Thurner at TT Gunleather.

Honestly, I didn't really know what I was looking for in a holster maker - or what I'd get for that matter - but he supports emergency responders and military. Given the opportunity, I will support any business that supports me, no matter if I have to spend more doing so. In this case, even without any discount, Tim's wares are VERY competitively priced.

Anyway, so the end of May I called Tim and talked to him for about 30 minutes or so which ended with me placing an order for a reinforced mouth IWB holster and a mag/light combo pouch.

For the combo pouch, I originally was going to stuff it with a Surefire G2 with a clicky tailcap which is a bit larger than the torch's main tube, and Tim said it would be no problem to accommodate this odd-ball size.

As the weeks went by, I started getting antsy and thinking ... A LOT. After pondering quite a bit, I ended up changing my order to a regular OWB holster and dual mag pouch.

Without further adieu:

(You're not going crazy, I'm a lefty )

The holster's workmanship and attention to detail are amazing! Weapon fit was TIGHT to say the least, so I used some wax paper wrapped around my Bobtail Commander for about an hour and a half or so to loosen it up a smidge. For many, the holster would probably still be a bit too tight, but I much prefer a holster with too much rather than not enough retention. I'm sure it will loosen up just a little bit more as I wear it.

Even though this is my first "real" leather holster, I can tell quality when I see it, and Tim's work is beautiful! Put another way, I don't even think I need to try another holster maker ... he's earned my repeat business as long as he wants it.
    Last edited by echo5tango; August 19th, 2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added a link to Tim's website

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new rig, it looks awesome! Seems like the holster rides at a good height and has a really nice finish to it. And looks like the dog is taking a sniff at the boys I kid, I kid!
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Congrats on the new rig, it looks awesome! Seems like the holster rides at a good height and has a really nice finish to it. And looks like the dog is taking a sniff at the boys I kid, I kid!
    I actually had to fight the dog to get that far away from the camera ... she loves her picture being taken

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    I actually had to fight the dog to get that far away from the camera ... she loves her picture being taken
    Thats funny, she is a little ham huh, my dog is too?! Good looking girl though.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Nice leather!

TT Gunleather

Echo,

Nice rig and pistola.
    I like the width of the mag pouch. It seems to really wrap around, provide comfort as well as functionality.
    I have heard nothing but good things about Tim's work... My hat's off!
    By the way: who made your 1911? Ed Brown, Dan Wesson??

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Nice looking rig!!! First one I've seen from him of that design. Tim runs a great business at TT Gunleather. His holsters just keep getting better and better. Also a thumbs up to Tim for giving the folks who put their butts on the line a discount for their services. Have 2 of his holsters and they are both quality products. His customer service is outstanding IMO.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Nice, Happy Birthday and THANKS for your service to our country !

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wolf View Post
    Echo,

Nice rig and pistola.
    I like the width of the mag pouch. It seems to really wrap around, provide comfort as well as functionality.
    I have heard nothing but good things about Tim's work... My hat's off!
    By the way: who made your 1911? Ed Brown, Dan Wesson??
    Dave,
    It's a Dan Wesson CBOB with a couple little touches (checkered MSH that needs to be fit, ambi safety and Davidson Warthog grips). This is the 1911 that won me over to the "light" side from the "dark" (Glock) side, but I still carry a G23 every now and again (in a TTGunleather IWB of course).

IIRC, Tim's been working with leather for something like 20 years, so he's no stranger. That being said, I think my next order will be a bit more "exotic" in nature. I love the contrast of brown leather and black shark trim.

One thing I don't know if I made clear enough ... Tim is an all-around great guy to talk to. The first time we talked, most of that 30 minutes was me getting a feel for him and he getting a feel for what I (thought I) wanted. He was always attentive to my e-mails ... I think maybe one of my 8 or 10 e-mails went more than a day before I got a response.

Nice rig! I happen to get my hands on one of Tim's OWB Snap holsters. His detailing rivals that of my Bulman holster. No joke...
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Nice rig! I happen to get my hands on one of Tim's OWB Snap holsters. His detailing rivals that of my Bulman holster. No joke...
    Are you serious? Hmmm, I trust you slimjim so I may just give it a try!
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I'm just going by what I've heard and read across the 'net here, but that doesn't surprise me one bit. This evening, I'll shoot a few close-ups to show the level of detailing.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't even make this kind of post as I'm not one to "brag" about new acquisitions or anything like that. But I realized, in my original search, there weren't many if any photos of Tim's holsters actually being worn. There are a couple/few on his site, but I thought it might be helpful to someone down the road to see his holster being worn (e.g. how high it rides, approximate cant, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    Are you serious? Hmmm, I trust you slimjim so I may just give it a try!
    I'll try to get some pics up today...
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    That is one sweet rig!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links