Concealed Carry Colt Mustang

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Colt Mustang within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just gotten a Colt Mustang which I intend to carry concealed, at least part-time. I was thinking IWB/small of the back, or possibly ankle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Colt Mustang

Concealed Carry Colt Mustang

I've just gotten a Colt Mustang which I intend to carry concealed, at least part-time. I was thinking IWB/small of the back, or possibly ankle carry.

What are the best holsters for ankle carry, and for IWB small of back carry for a Colt Mustang?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    If you will permit me to add my 2 pennies regarding small-of-back (SOB) carry: As an Instructor, I strongly discourage any of my shooters from carrying a pistol this way. It can easily cause damage to your back and spine. Not just if you happen to fall on your back, but even from sitting for long periods of time. I'm sure there are advocates of SOB carry on the board, and I don't mean to discount their training and experience, but I recommend against it.

I would think that a Mustang could easily be carried in a good ankle rig. Don't go cheap. Buy something well made, stable, and with good retention. I lost a Taurus Model 85 many years ago during a foot pursuit up the side of the highway. I was using a cheap, elastic band type ankle rig and never realized it came out. A citizen pulled up where we had caught the guy and brought it over to me between his thumb and forefinger, like he was holding a dead fish or something.

Embarrased? You betcha'.
    Gonzo
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; August 20th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I like IWB problem with ankle carry is it's not a very effective way to get a gun out quick,I might consider ankle carry for a bug but not a primary unless i had no other choice
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JD has a nifty IWB from HBE I think for his Colt .380
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    JD has a nifty IWB from HBE I think for his Colt .380
    Sorry, I'm new. What or who is JD?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdn4891 View Post
    Sorry, I'm new. What or who is JD?

That's me.

I just bought this one from HBE for my Mustang and Mustang +II.

You can read about it HERE.

Given the small grip of my Mustang +II which is bigger than that of the smaller standard Mustang, I'd say small of the back is a no go, there's just not enough to grab on to in my opinion.

There's not many holster makers out there that make quality IWBs for the Mustang family of pistols, I asked Eric Larsen of HBE if he could acquire a mold and he was able to and made me the fine holster pictured.

you just can't beat a back pocket holster from K&D. I carry my mustang in it daily, cocked and locked, and it will not print.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

JD
    Administrator
    I found something pretty cool on eBay made by Haugen, they call it the "Boxter".

I thought it would make a nice discreet carry option, with the trends in PDAs etc, and that no man worth his salt would carry such a tiny gun. this will be almost invisible.

So I had to bid on it, it does have black shark after all.

Here's the sellers pictures.

I'll be sure to do a review of it once it arrives.

I'm thinking this might be a good belt mounted option for the Mustang in a BUG role as well...

Quote Originally Posted by jdn4891 View Post
    I've just gotten a Colt Mustang which I intend to carry concealed, at least part-time. I was thinking IWB/small of the back, or possibly ankle carry.

What are the best holsters for ankle carry, and for IWB small of back carry for a Colt Mustang?
    I have carried IWB/SOB with a Blade-tech Ultra Concelament Holster (UCH) for about 3 years with near daily wear. It allows you tuck your shirt. All that is exposed is the black belt loop about 1" wide. No one has ever mentioned seeing it. I look, but so do most of US CCWers.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

HBE IWB at 11:00 for me. (leftie) Right above the left front pocket. Comfortable, invisible, and pocket is still usable.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

VIP Member
    A few months back there was an horrific incident reported in Concealed Carry magazine in which a man was cut up (and killed I think) while trying to drop down and pull a gun from his ankle holster.

Unless you carry two, I think that is a poor location---

I pocket carry, but that too is a poor location.

I need to get one like JD's.

IWB is easy and comfortable with it (I - erh - my wife has one), but also consider the "appendix" carry. The Ehud holster has a lot of fans, and the Mustang is small enough to carry well that way. The advantage (if you can carry this way) is a faster draw with little-or-no telegraphing your intent. Also easier to access while belted in a car, and unless someone is "remarkably friendly," the chance of a "bump/frisk" is almost eliminated.
    I have an excellent ankle holster for mine that I rarely use. I keep it in case I feel the need for a back-up (or third ) gun, but as a primary mode of carry I'd be faster to pull off my boots and throw them.
    ("Boot to the Head!" aargh!)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

VIP Member

Ehud Holster?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    IWB is easy and comfortable with it (I - erh - my wife has one), but also consider the "appendix" carry. The Ehud holster has a lot of fans, and the Mustang is small enough to carry well that way.

Chuck Brick.
    I just looked at their site but didn't see one designed for the Mustang. Did I just miss it, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I just looked at their site but didn't see one designed for the Mustang. Did I just miss it, or what?
    I make my own holsters so I don't know the details, but if you E-mail him he generally will answer in a timely manner. He may be able to make it for you, or may have one that fits. Certainly worth the effort to inquire.
    He is frequently on the "Warriortalk" forum, if that helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I "appendix carry" my Mustang using my new HBE holster. (Except I am left handed so it's not over my appendix) It's very comfortable - I can ride a bike with it with no discomfort. I also have a pocket holster, but have stopped using most of the time it in favor of the HBE.

I posted a picture already at this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...commander.html
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links