BUG carry options?

BUG carry options?

This is a discussion on BUG carry options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my primary pistol, a G21, IWB on my left side. I am considering carrying a G27 as a BUG; this one is 6.3 ...

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

BUG carry options?

I carry my primary pistol, a G21, IWB on my left side.

I am considering carrying a G27 as a BUG; this one is 6.3 inches long. While small compared to the 7.6 inch length of the G21, it's probably too big for the common pocket-holster carry style for BUGs.

So I am seeking opinions or advice. If you happen to carry a primary and BUG combination without using pocket-carry, what's your arrangement?

Thanks for any input.

VIP Member
    Colt Cobra in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster, worn with boot-cut jeans or pants.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    I carry either a Kahr PM9 in an Grandfather Oak (GO) Pocket Companion XL kydex pocket holster or a Kel Tec P3AT in GO Pocket Companion kydex pocket holster. Either gun goes in my weakhand front pants pocket.

I know some people that pocket carry either a G26 or G27 so it is possible; but I don't know if I could get used to carrying a gun that thick in a pocket.
    Last edited by srfl; December 6th, 2005 at 11:20 AM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    for that baby glock i personaly would seriously look at a bellyband or varation there of such as the " bra" type soft vertical sholder rigs some are offering now but personaly i would look at a slimmer profile bug and not worry about mags being interchangable a reload for the bug is easyer tucked away than the thickness of a glock most times ( edited by me to suggest a diff bug on re read of the post )

Assistant Administrator
    Main choice is R9 - either ankle or pocket. In winter tho things are so much easier re concealment and so not too difficult to throw another SIG into a sho rig for example - depending where I am going.

BTW - the other thread on BUGS would tie in with your question, as folks have given a lot of thoughts there too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Actually, people do carry the G26-27 in pocket. You need larger pockets and to help hide it well, a larger body too. :D
    Ankle carry is always a good option, but you have to train for it..just like any other style of carry.
    Thunderware/smartcarry are also quite popular with smaller guns, Ive tried one of these on and didnt work with a 1911 Gobt. for me, but would be a viable method of deep concealment with a smaller gun.
    Hope this helps..........good luck and let us know what you find works for YOU!
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

good ideas!

I see that several holster makers do make pocket holsters for the G26 or G27. I can get the unloaded G27 itself into a pocket, but it prints significantly. I would not carry a Glock without the trigger encased, and it seems like adding a holster would make the whole thing print big-time.

Looks like ankle carry is fairly popular. Maybe I should try it.

I have a SmartCarry sized for the G21. Once I realized that a pistol holstered in one does not actually point at any part of me, I warmed up to it a little. testing draw with the unloaded G21, I found that I must concentrate to avoid angling the muzzle inward when lifting the pistol out of the holster. Tried this for summer use. My standard outfit in the warm months (it was -3F here early today, has warmed up to 0) includes Grammici shorts, which have a built-in thin nylon waistband, completely unsuitable for supporting anything. The SmartCarry with its own waistband is a perfect match for these shorts, which are naturally baggy and can easily conceal any Glock.
    Last edited by Anubis; December 7th, 2005 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I see that several holster makers do make pocket holsters for the G26 or G27. I can get the unloaded G27 itself into a pocket, but it prints significantly. I would not carry a Glock without the trigger encased, and it seems like adding a holster would make the whole thing print big-time.

Looks like ankle carry is fairly popular. Maybe I should try it.

Howdy!

Actually, a properly designed pocket holster will REDUCE printing by changing the profile of the firearm and making it look more like a wallet being carried in a front pocket. Having said that, I personally agree w/ you that a G26/27 is a bit much for pocket carry.

Lou Alessi makes a DYNAMITE ankle rig for Glock 26/27's. I would recommend one without hesitation.

A pocket holster is actually my favorite method (when used properly, they are INCREDIBLY fast) , but I tend to prefer a bit smaller firearm for such applications.

I dunno if this helps or not. Good luck!

For me the 26/27 is to blocky/heavy for pocket or ankle carry for edc. A snubby works better for me. I do carry a 26 in a pocket holster but rarely.
    William

The K9 carries well in Docker-type slacks or Columbia shorts (both tend to be a little baggy on me) with a SmartCarry. After a bit of practice, the K9 comes out fairly quick. My brother carries a G26 and it fits the same SmartCarry I have and should work as well with it as it does for the K9. The G26 is a bit thicker and the grip may print a little...the SmartCarry has a 60 day guarantee though. Other than that, I will use my GB IWB leather...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Colt Cobra in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster, worn with boot-cut jeans or pants.
    I used an ankle holster with a Bersa Mod. 23 .22LR before I knew better. The holster (I din't recall the make) was very uncomfortable and prone to sliding around. I'm going to a CZ 75 Compact as a primary, but wouldn't mind a Makarov as a back up gun if I could find a comfortable ankle holster. MY problem is I wear military style boots quite a bit in the Summer. Would Uncle Mike's have something to fit my need's? ANy help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    ...good luck and let us know what you find works for YOU!
    Shoot well.
    Thanks for all the info. I combined ideas of P95Carry and ExSoldier762 and will try a right-hand OWB for the G27. I have increased my right-hand shooting activity as well.

Links