BUG on belt?

BUG on belt?

This is a discussion on BUG on belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After typing a reply indicating that I was "thinking" about moving my BUG from my cargo pocket to the belt. I decided to open up ...

Thread: BUG on belt?

BUG on belt?

After typing a reply indicating that I was "thinking" about moving my BUG from my cargo pocket to the belt. I decided to open up a thread.

I have since strapped on my "double rig" and have the following observations after a few hours of carrying. Please bear in mind these are within the parameters of "my" typical dress: untucked Polo or Hawaiian shirts and a belt that handles both weapons.

Advantages:

1. I have off hand access to another full sized weapon.

2. I have found the rig to be more comfortable (so far) without BUG 9mm or .40 banging my leg in cargo pocket. Also, off side weapon balances the weight of the right side.

3. With two XD45s on, Higher capasity with interchangable magazines.

4. Duplicating the very small bulge on off side (making assymetrical profile) makes both less noticable with balanced profile.

Disadvantages:

1. My CCW buddies may think I've gone too far.

2. Hmmm...

3. Uhhh...

Thoughts?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I really hate this kind of thinking, but it's possible that a an overzealous prosecutor might try to portray you as a wannabe gun slinger if you ever had to use one in self defense. Also, if you got pulled over you would probably get scrutinized fairly hard by the officer, but it's not illegal so what could really happen?

A more legitimate concern in my mind is that you will have to really do some specialized retention training since you have a full sized pistol on both sides. Still, I could see the benefits.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I prefer the extra mag(s) and training to clear potential problems...perhaps, on occasion, a small .380 in my pocket.

Two full-size guns would make me feel like Bruce Willis in "Last Man Standing"...OMO

If it works for you, then my all means...go for it!

Stay armed...one is enough for me...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Two guns....

I have a close friend who is retired LE. His thought is to have a good primary carry and a nice back up piece, just in case.
    He has been in quite a few gunfights as SWAT, detective and on the "street".

His thought is Mr. Murphy may come along and ruin your day.

I took his advice and when I worked in my brother's gun store, I carried a 1911 and a Keltec P32 in my back pocket. It caught on and almost everyone at work carried in a similar fashion.

But outside work, a primary carry and an extra mag suited me just fine.

In my meager opinion, I think certain situations call for certain guns/ways to carry.

I agree with BoomStick and if a something happened, you would need a good expert witness to explain your school of thought for carrying 2 guns. I have seen lawyers hang cops out to dry for things like: quick draw, shooting in IPSC/IDPA, and so forth because they said the officer was training to kill people. The expert witness' weren't and they were convicted.

I say weigh all aspects before doing so. Talk to local law enforcement, review past cases in your area, etc.

Cheers!

Ya'll have excellent points that I frankly hadn't thought of.

Keep em coming.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown777 View Post
    Disadvantages:

1. My CCW buddies may think I've gone too far.

IMHO You need nuttier buddies so you look like the normal one.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you can pull off concealment and the extra weight. Go for it! Now make sure you practice with that weak hand. No point in having a gun in it if you can't hit what needs shooting with it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

My usual off duty combo is as follows:

3" Ruger GP100 IWB Strongside
    2 1/4" Ruger SP101 OWB Weakside
    1 7/8" S&W 442 Weakside Pocket or Ankle

I'm a big fan of multi-gun carry. I've had to draw my BUG before, so part of my reasoning behind the multi-gun carry is accessability to a firearm no matter which hand I have available to draw with or what position I may find myself in.

I'll probably change my Carry Guns next year, just for grins to the following:

Glock 19 Strongside IWB
    Glock 26 Weakside OWB
    S&W 442 Pocket or Ankle

An argument can be made for or against multi-gun carry. As long as you can articulate it, I don't see a problem with it. I have a documented history of carrying multiple guns and you can bet that post like this will be part of my defense if I need them.

It is not out of the "norm" for me, carrying multiple weapons. If you do something out of your "normal" I would see more problems with that.

Biker

VIP Member
    I understand where you're coming from. If you're going to carry 2 guns anyway, may as well make it comfy as possible. But, I do think 2-45's is pushing it. As others have said, a prosecuter may use it against you. I rarely carry 2 guns, but when I do, one is a 40 on my hip and the other is a snubby in the pocket. This would sound more reasonable to a jury I think.
    Also, yeah, my friends would think I've gone too far...

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I have a documented history of carrying multiple guns and you can bet that post like this will be part of my defense if I need them.

It is not out of the "norm" for me, carrying multiple weapons. If you do something out of your "normal" I would see more problems with that.
    So, the question for you lawyer types:

Does "this" type of forum discussion actually have any credibility or history of success in establishing a defendable position if the issue goes to court?

VIP Member
    nah, Patton had 2 45s on him, I say go for it

seriously....if you can pull it off and know how to utilize both of them then go for it, as long as you follow the laws I don't see a problem with it
    but for me personally, I'd prefer to have a couple of extra mags for my primary and some sort of small bug
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Usually I carry a semi auto IWB in a Minatour either a Kimber or a Glock but on my weakside I carry a S&W 642 CT in a Desantis Nemisis in my front pocket. I fear that in a confrontation one arm could be injuried and I would be unable to continue my defense but this way my options are still open.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I fear that in a confrontation one arm could be injuried and I would be unable to continue my defense but this way my options are still open.
    That's my thinking too. It's just that my current BUG is a Kel Tek FF-9 in the DeSantis as well. It bangs against my leg and is what I consider to me of "marginal" effectivenes in regards to power.

SO if I were forced to use left weapon I would be marginalized not only by having to use off hand, but the weapon is also less than ideal.

Patton...yeah...I like that.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Last night I carried my M&P .40 strong-side IWB, Walther PPS 9mm in weak-side pocket, and Walther P22 in strong-side appendix IWB. Extra mag for each. Two sheath knives, three pocket knives and a small dagger-like knife. And four flashlights. Keep in mind, I usually don't carry the P22 and the extra sheath knife however, I was just doing it "because I was in the mood" and for the heck of it. Plus the poor P22 always gets left out. I was eating dinner with five friends, one of them a cop who had a XD .40 and a pocket knife.
    Last edited by MilitaryPower; August 24th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Links