Question on ordering a holster.

Question on ordering a holster.

This is a discussion on Question on ordering a holster. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious to know what other members think is an acceptable/normal wait time for a holster......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question on ordering a holster.

I am curious to know what other members think is an acceptable/normal wait time for a holster...

It will depend greatly on who you are ordering it from, what material and any customizations you get. Also a lot will depend o what kind of gun you have, popular or not so much.

I got a SuperTuck in less than 2 weeks, but I have heard of others waiting 9 months for a custom leather job, with mods requested.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have waited over a year for one but it was a custom design. One the average I'd say six months seems to be the norm due to the high demand for custom leather. I'm talking Alessi, Sparks, Nossar, 5SHot, Bulman, etc. Some have longer wait time, in some cases much longer but when it finally shows up your (at least I) glad to have been patient.

For me it's not so much how long the "wait time" is but if the maker can deliver close to that time.

I was told three to four months by one well known maker and cancelled my order nine months later. I'll give you a hint, he's one of the "big names" in custom holster making and is located in the Phoenix area.

I have no problem waiting, I do have a problem with repeated failures to deliver as promised.

Biker

Whatever the wait time, it should be stated up front and be accurate to within a week. Baring a shortage of leather or an unexpected, lengthy illness, I can see no reason that a quoted wait time shouldn't be accurate. When I first ordered 4 holsters from one maker, their web site said the wait time was 12-15 weeks. I received my holsters after waiting 47 weeks. I can understand that if they were receiving more & more orders, how orders placed after mine might have a longer wait time, but they should have a pretty close idea of how many they can make per day and how many are in the order line. Had they told me up front that it would take 47 weeks, I would never have ordered from them as I ended up having to buy OTC holsters just to be able to carry the firearms I had ordered holsters for from them. Their current wait time on their web site is listed as 14-16 months but even if I were willing to wait that long, I wouldn't order from them based on my previous experience. Since it took over 3 times as long as quoted on my first order, I have no confidence that an order placed with them today may not take up to 3 years to receive. I have since placed 3 orders with UBG Holsters, 1 order with Comp-Tac and 1 order with Little Feather Leather Works. All three of them have delivered no later than their quoted delivery time and most were ahead of schedule. People who live up to their word get my business.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Fist holsters...search "Related Links"...I have 2 dozen+ of various Fist holsters...wait time is usually 4-6 weeks...

They don't may eel or elephant add-ons, etc....they do make a quality holster...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have 2 dozen+ of various Fist holsters
    You have gone way beyond the shoe box my friend, you are in to foot locker territory now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

When you order from FIST using the secure web order form, do you get any kind of email saying they have your order and are processing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    When you order from FIST using the secure web order form, do you get any kind of email saying they have your order and are processing it?
    As I recall you don't. Fist does however charge your credit card right away. I've never waited more than 5 weeks for a Fist holster, which, for Fist quality seems quite reasonable to me.

Thanks wmhawth, I ordered two from FIST about a week ago. A medium brown reinforced throat #11 for a RAP-401 [very similar to Astra A-75] and a Cordovan #9 for a Taurus 617.

On another note, DM Bullard has some holsters in stock in his web store. I had him make one of his "dual carry" holsters for an H&K USPc 40. Wait time was 4.5 weeks. Got it yesterday, but his helper mistakenly molded it for a USP 45c - he is gonna make a new one and this one is going back. I can report the leather itself is very nice and these holsters now have adapters included to make it "tuckable".

That depends on how bad you want a particular maker's holster. The wait can be anywhere from weeks to months to years. I've waited months before , but never years ( although I've been waiting nearly 2 years for a holster I'll never see what a guy who took my money and never delivered a thing ). 6months is about as long as I would be willing to wait now, but only for something extra special, from someone I trusted and I had no immediate need for the holster, it was just something I wanted. Maybe longer IF I REALLY WANTED IT bad enough, like something from Del Fatti. Mostly I've only waited a couple of months for the holsters I have now, same for my cowboy leather. I got have a lot patience to just wait and wait and wait. I understand most truly custom leather crafters are small shops and can only produce so much and when demand is high you WAIT or go elsewhere. Guess there is a very strong demand for gun leather with all the many makers out there and some of the wait times I've seen folks quoted or what they endured. I've got a couple on order now, and was told 6 to 8 weeks. SO far that is accurate, they have not yet exceeded it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck in your search.

For a custom holster made with special leather/skin (snake, shark, etc), personally I would allow 3 or 4 months if I knew it was a quality holster.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

2-4 weeks is all that I will wait. I can look for it used. But I will not wait any longer that 1 month. Anything longer and the gun could be gone or a better gun purchased. If they have that much business that I have to wait any longer, then in my opinion, they don't want my business. This day and age people hate to wait - but some can handle it a little better than I.

I ordered a Brigade gunleather C-11 In Feb with an email stating 18-21 weeks.turn around time..
    I still haven't got it...Still waiting.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    I have always placed my order by phone...I like to talk to a person.
    Whenever I call, they know me by name...really!
    Being way beyond the 'number required', I always get a 20% discount...pays for the shipping.

Call, you can do it all over the phone and you can immediately hear them shooting another cow in the background.

Stay armed...with a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links