Beretta 92 shoulder rig?

This is a discussion on Beretta 92 shoulder rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. My wife is currently deployed to Iraq. She asked me to find her a leather shoulder holster for her beretta. I found some ...

Thread: Beretta 92 shoulder rig?

Beretta 92 shoulder rig?

Hi all. My wife is currently deployed to Iraq. She asked me to find her a leather shoulder holster for her beretta. I found some cheap nylon ones, found some extremely pricer leather ones, but not sure what to get her. I am thinking of getting her the el-cheapo nylon holster for now while I hunt down a nicely made leather holster. I know absolutely nothing bout shoulder holsters. So, any suggestions for a nic leather shoulder holster for a beretta model92 ? Also, what is better for military shoulder holstering, horizontal carry or vertical carry? Thanks for your help!
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Galco makes some nice leather shoulder rigs, like the Miami Classic and Jackass rig. I have the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig, and its nylon. Unless I am wearing a T-shirt, the straps irritate my skin, so am considering a Galco shoulder rig. The only problem with shoulder rigs, is you usually have to wear a jacket or really loose fitting cover garment to effectively conceal it, but carrying in a shoulder system makes it easier to draw while driving.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

For active duty over in the 'box', the leather sholder rigs are a VERY popular item and ALWAYS in short supply. Most of my guys ended up with the sholder holsters while stationed there (I stayed with my tact. thigh holster).

Double-check with her but I'm certin that ANY holster HAS to have a retention strap/snap. If you do choose to go the route of ordering from a custom leather crafter, do tell them what/who it's for. Most will speed up the process for a service member in theater.

Stay with the leather, the nylon holsters are good for quick, cheap fixs, but the leather is considerably better, easier to care for, and won't let her down.
    Tell her to stay safe and Godspeed from us!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks for the info. I ordered a nylon shoulder holster to keep her happy until I do some research and find a good leather one. She is on the small side and finds thigh carry to be a little cumbersome. I know nothing about shoulder holsters, when I was military, I didn't have the luxury of carrying a 9mm. Anyway, I need to find one that is available quickly, made to comfortably fit small framed women, and is horizontal carry with a retention strap. Any help would be great, like I said I know less than nothing about shoulder holsters.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Semper Fi

Check out the Sam Andrews monarch shoulder holster. Andrews Custom Leather - Monarch Shoulder Rig

I have 2 of them (glocks) and they are comfortable and of high quality.

He had the components available for my Glock 17/22 and I got the holster within a week. The holster for my Glock 20/21 took a little time because the components weren't ready.

Mention to any holster maker that the holster is for Active Duty Military overseas and you should get a rush put on the order.

I carried my 92fs in a Bianchi Agent shoulder holster. They're pretty easy to locate either in gunshops or online, carry the weapon horizontally, have a thumb break retention strap with a dual offside mag pouch, comfortable, adjustable ... sounds like it'd be a good solution for her. Mine ran about $100 but that was several years ago.

I haven't tried the Galco rigs but herd good things about them. In horizontal they offer the Jackass rig and the Miami Classic. Custom built rigs from the major players: Alessi, Del Fatti, Sam Andrews, etc. will of course offer better quality and pride of ownership but they'll cost more and likely have much longer waiting periods.
    Jack

Check with your wife, but I think there are new rules in place that dictate that a shoulder holster must have the muzzle down. I highlight this because in previous deployments, I've always had/seen shoulder holsters holding the M9 at the horizontal.

When ordering, see if you can change the angle of carry...

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to your wife....is she in AFG or Iraq?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Check with your wife, but I think there are new rules in place that dictate that a shoulder holster must have the muzzle down. I highlight this because in previous deployments, I've always had/seen shoulder holsters holding the M9 at the horizontal.

When ordering, see if you can change the angle of carry...
    Exactly , most people dont like having a pistol pointed at them standing behind someone in the chowline. That being said most FOBs LSAs Ect usally have local vendor shops that either have them or can get them on the cheap

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    When I was in Baghdad (civilian contractor, unarmed !) I saw a lot of Military Personnel with shoulder holsters. There were a lot of cheapo nylon rigs (bad) and even more leather shoulder rigs.

One of the most common was the Galco Miami Classic. I have three of these myself (obviously I like them!). Only thing is, they are open carrying over there. Horizontal carry means the muzzle is often in someones face. Not really an issue (finger is not on trigger, guard is covered, etc.) but can be unnerving for the wary. I suggest checking with her on any new regs (that were mentioned above), but if it's allowed, it is one of the better, more comfortable solutions and should be readily available from a number of sources (try LA Police Gear and Product Wizard for great prices on Galco rigs). If the discount guys don't have it readily available, try Galco directly. Good Cust. Service and they ship fast if in stock.

ETA: Didn't see ant decent rigs at any of the local vendors at the FOBs or PX's I visited.

Tell your wife we appreciate her service and sacrifice, and to keep her head down and come home safe!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I bought an Aker Flatsider for $120 and am very happy with it:

Aker Leather Shoulder Holsters and Accessories
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Links