Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V?

This is a discussion on Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awesome pics as always Twin. The Max-Con does look less bulky and is probably more comfortable but the loop straps on the Max-con look thin ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V?

Awesome pics as always Twin. The Max-Con does look less bulky and is probably more comfortable but the loop straps on the Max-con look thin and cheap.

2. Remove Ads

I prefer the Max Con V, and I especially like the fact that Coal Creek has them in stock with no lead time. Took about 3 days for me to get my holster.

Either way you go, I'm sure you will be happy. They are 2 of the best out there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Hi TwinCarry,

Thanks. I don't know enough to make 10 intelligent posts per week or maybe per month.
    I admit that many would say that I do not limit myself to intelligent posts. :)

Have a good day,
    Jerry

Just wanted to say that I e-mailed MS a question about one VM2 fitting either model of 1911, and Tony Kanaley replied back within minutes with a detailed answer. Great response there, something I understand is also hard to come by in the custom holster world, so that makes the decision even easier.

I'm sure I'd be pleased with either once I had them in my hands, but based on everything together I think I'll be going with a VM2. Thanks all for your input!
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I had both and really liked the Max Con V better..it was thinner,sat lower inside the pants and for me concealed better.

Milt Sparks Heritage Limited-
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-limited.html

I sold my VMII after I received the Limited, I still have all my VMIIs for my doublestacks.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I recently purchased a VM2 for my Kimber HD Pro Carry II. The workmanship on the VM2 is flawless and fit my Kimber like a glove. The problem I encountered
    was that the slide in the ejection port area is so sharp on the Kimber, that everytime I removed it from the holster, I would find leather fibers on the razor sharp edge. I solved this using a couple of files and some emory paper. Don't know if this is common on all makes, but it might be something to consider if getting a Kimber.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    TwinCarry, thanks much for those pics! Seeing them side-by-side helps with visualizing the differences better.

I see you have the tuckable clips on the VM2 in one of your photos. What's your opinion of the tucked mode, especially with something the size of a 1911? That's one feature I've never used but am interested in, as I don't always want to wear an untucked outer shirt or jacket. I ordered a cheap High Noon Split Decision tuckable to try with a Kahr CW9 to see how I'd like it, but given the difference in size, that's not really a true test for the 1911's "tuckability." Besides, I'll be giving the CW9 to the wife anyway since she should be getting her CCW this week.

Good question on the tuckable clips. You saw a picture of it on, because I experimented on how well it works. Honestly? In my experience I would not use the clips. It works, but not as good as a holster that is built for that specific purpose. I would use the VMII as an IWB holster and get another one like the High Noon Split Desicion to use at times when you feel like tucking in yor shirt.

In my case, I use the Max V & VMII for IWB and a Tucker "Silent Thunder" for tucking in.
    This is one of my favorite tuckable holster due to the Leather-Lined feature:

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Thanks all, just wanted to post that I decided on a short-term solution (i.e. quick delivery) and ordered an MTAC. I did have an opportunity to buy a brand-new Service Grade MCV off of someone, still in the bag. I thought long and hard about it but ultimately couldn't bring myself to decide on it over the VM2 just yet. I'll still be getting something along the lines of a VM2 or MCV -- unless I just fall in love with the MTAC and consider it "good enough", which is possible based on the reviews I've read. Think I'll wait to see if I can manage picking up the new Kimber next month before making a decision.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I have both, for 1911s.
    Both are quite good.
    I give the edge to Sparks' due to heavier leather construction but the margin is small. Gary Brommeland's work is excellent.
    Humani nihil alienum

The MTAC will fill the gap for now. That is what I did as well. It is a great holster. But I have been wearing my VM II (G27) for over a month now and IMO it is better all around than the MTAC. The VM II is a little more comfy and has better retention IMO. And it is made very well, will definately last a lifetime.

I own a Maxcon V that is pretty comfortable but not as comfy as the VM II. I waited for over a year to receive it from Brommeland after being promised a 5 month delivery. After much tap dancing on there part, I cancelled the order and got it from CCA. But I paid a lot more for it.

I ordered my VM II from Milt Sparks and was given an approximate delivery time that they beat. I got it early. They don't bite off more than they can chew, they only take orders that they can fill on time. GREAT customer service and an AWESOME product.

The VM II has my vote hands down over the Maxcon and MTAC.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Although I have yet to try a VM II, I am totally pleased with the Maxcon I got that I carry my full size 1911 in. The extreme can't really helps to hide the gun.

To follow up: I just got off the phone with John at Milt Sparks and ordered a Commander-length VM-2 and a D-4C double mag pouch. Let the 20+ week countdown begin...

And just to stress my VISA (and my wife) even further, I'm probably going to order a couple of Beltman belts before it gets here.
    David

BAC
    I have a VMII for my 5" 1911. It's my first holster (thought I'd start off with quality), and I have no complaints about it at all. It's a good, comfortable holster, but it is a tad thick in the sense that most of my pants fit pretty well and don't like to stretch too far. In the very near future, I will be ordering a Max Con V, because I have a sneaky suspicion that for my needs it will work better than my VMII, due to its cant and its sitting lower than the Sparks holster.

Worst case scenario is I have two good holsters.

TwinCarry, pm inbound. Edited: pm will be inbound, but your inbox is full.

-B

A little late but the Dakota Defender would have gotten my vote.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links