Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V?

This is a discussion on Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be in the market for probably one of these soon. I hope to buy a Kimber Pro CDP II next month as a lighter-weight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Sparks VM2 vs Brommeland Max-Con V?

I'll be in the market for probably one of these soon. I hope to buy a Kimber Pro CDP II next month as a lighter-weight upgrade to the Combat Commander I've carried for the past 10 years, and want a nice comfortable IWB for it. Even if I don't score the Kimber, I may get one of these holsters anyway for my Commander.

I had already tentatively decided on the Max-Con V. From all my research, it seems very well made and popular, but I'm seeing order fulfillment still seems to be a problem with Brommeland -- I don't care to wait 1-2 years. However, CCA sometimes stocks the Service Grade Max-Con so I could get lucky.

The VM2 is also highly popular, has "only" a 5-6 month backlog by comparison, and has a few dealers who also stock them that I might also luck out with. As a bonus, they also have optional kydex clips to make the VM2 tuckable, another attractive feature I may be interested in (and would love any testimonials as to how well it works -- the clips sound a little funky in their operation).

Given all that, I'm leaning towards the VM2 now instead of the Max-Con. I'm sure I'd probably be happy with either, but I'm interested in hearing any advice and opinions from first-hand experience, as well as similar alternatives I may not be thinking of (I have seen some similar knock-offs from other mfgs).

Bonus question: Would the molding/boning of a 4.25" Commander and the 4" CDP in either of these holsters be similar enough for either pistol to be reliable used in the same holster? I'm guessing possibly not if they mold for each specific model since the CDP has slightly different frame dimensions and melting treatment, extended safety, etc. that my Commander doesn't have, but wasn't sure if these guys made such distinctions between mostly similar 1911 models. So far I've just seen their 1911 models advertised for different barrel lengths, but not other variations (short of a custom order at least). If it turns out they are interchangeable, I could go ahead and get my order in now for the Commander model, and then use it with the CDP should I get it.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

I am not sure what the differences in dimensions are between the two mentioned.

I have a couple of SA compact 1911s with 4 inch barrels. I also have a Kimber Classic Compact with the 4 inch barrel.
    With my holsters from Sparks, and Brommeland both fit tightly. I think it is due to the fact that their holsters are made very tight.
    I recently got a holster from another maker and it fit my SA, but was too loose for my Kimber. The sight track was OK for the Kimber, but too tight for the SA.

Accordingly, I would call the maker and present the situation. He will be able to advise you.

I do not have either of the holster you are considering so I cannot help there.

Regards,
    Jerry

VM2

Check out the Dakota Defender by K&D Holsters Florida. I just picked mine up recently and it is by far the best tuckable holster I have ever worn.

There are considerable differences between the MC-V and VM2. Very different holsters. I'll point a few out:

1) The VM2 rides higher on the belt than MCV
    2) The MCV has more extreme cant (25 degrees) vs VM2 (~15 degrees)
    3) The MCV is considerably "thinner" in regards to holster profile. The MCV leather is esp. less bulky in the belt loop area
    4) The VM2 has a reinforced mouth, the MCV does not. BTW, I have no problem with one handed reholstering with either.
    5) The MCV has that "sciatic flap" or "comfort tab" which really helps with comfort and preventing muzzle from digging into the hindside

I can attest there is no problem using a 4" 1911 in a MCV made for a Commander. Hope this helps.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I own both and rarely use the Brommeland. The Sparks is a much better made product IMO and they people there will not BS you or lead you down the wrong road. Same thing cannot be said for Brommeland. Do a search using his name and you'll see what I am saying. Personally my all time favorite is Mark Garrity's In Cognito Deluxe. The suede backing makes all the difference in the world when your carrying a heavy gun for 14-16 hours daily.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerheadFL View Post
    Check out the Dakota Defender by K&D Holsters Florida. I just picked mine up recently and it is by far the best tuckable holster I have ever worn.
    Thanks, I just looked. It doesn't seem to market itself as tuckable, or at least never mentions it in the description. But looking at the picture, it does appear to be tuckable as long as you use the clips. From the description the loops are attached at the top and so would not be tuckable I assume. The price is decent, so I'd certainly keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    There are considerable differences between the MC-V and VM2. Very different holsters. I'll point a few out:

1) The VM2 rides higher on the belt than MCV
    This would be okay with me, I don't really like a very low ride. Since the seat of my pants tends to fit tighter than my shirt in that area, I'd be afraid that too much holster below the belt line would be more likely to print with a short outer garment, while bending over, especially when using in a tucked scenario without an outer garment.

2) The MCV has more extreme cant (25 degrees) vs VM2 (~15 degrees)
    This is good to know -- 25 degrees seems a bit much, I'm more accustomed to the 15 degree range. So the VM2 is looking even better for me.

3) The MCV is considerably "thinner" in regards to holster profile. The MCV leather is esp. less bulky in the belt loop area
    I'm a pretty big guy (6'2" 260#) so I don't think the difference in thickness will be as big an issue as it would be with a smaller person. However I do see what you mean in that the outer reinforcement strip on the VM2 does make it look pretty thick compared to the MCV.

4) The VM2 has a reinforced mouth, the MCV does not. BTW, I have no problem with one handed reholstering with either.
    I think I'd prefer the reinforcement myself, but then again I've never considered one-handed reholstering to be a dealmaker. From your experience it sounds like a non-issue anyway.

5) The MCV has that "sciatic flap" or "comfort tab" which really helps with comfort and preventing muzzle from digging into the hindside
    Up until this point you had made the case for the VM2 as far as I'm concerned, but this was a dealbreaker -- I must have that flap! I could have sworn I saw it on a VM2, and sure enough, it's apparently available on some. Note the brown holster in this image, vs the black above it:

It doesn't appear to be quite up to the hammer level though, but does barely reach up to the slide. I take it yours does not have this? Or were you just referring to it being too short to be effective?

EDIT: Oh wait, nevermind -- I missed where you said "muzzle," and I note the tab design at the bottom of the MCV now. None of the IWB's I've tried before have this tab either, so I'm not sure that's a dealbreaker for me, but something I'll keep in mind.

I can attest there is no problem using a 4" 1911 in a MCV made for a Commander. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, this is good to know too. With an open top holster and what I believe is a slightly thinner profile on the CDP, I was concerned about retention. I still wonder if carrying the thicker Commander for a length of time would possible make it too loose for the CDP, but JerryM's experience also seems to suggest it might not be an issue either. Perhaps if I intend to use the same holster for both pistols, I should look at an adjustable retention design.

Thanks all for the input so far!
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

I'd vote for doing business with Tony Kanaly and Milt Sparks. By everyone's account they are dedicated to producing products of the highest quality while maintaining ethical business practices. They make honest appraisals of what to expect and then keep their promises, without making excuses.

Just browse through the "Where's my holster?" thread and make your own judgements.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Just browse through the "Where's my holster?" thread and make your own judgements.
    Yeah, I had done that, which is exactly what led me to reconsider dealing with Brommeland. Even if I found stock at CCA, by buying his stuff I'd be complicit in supporting his business, and given the complaints and his apparent lack of customer service and business skills lately, I'm no longer sure that's something I want to do.

At this point I'm all but convinced to go with the VM2 over the MCV, but am still open to more opinions and alternatives!
    David

I don't own any Brommeland leather but just judging from the pics I have seen and the many Sparks holsters which I own that there is no comparison. Sparks makes a better holster. Brommeland at CCA is now up to something like $169 and although there might be immediate delivery, you could buy a VM2 plus mag carrier for the same price. The stitching and details on Sparks are much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'd vote for doing business with Tony Kanaly and Milt Sparks. By everyone's account they are dedicated to producing products of the highest quality while maintaining ethical business practices. They make honest appraisals of what to expect and then keep their promises, without making excuses.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

I have been extremely pleased with my VMII as well as the other holsters I've gotten from Sparks.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    I don't own any Brommeland leather but just judging from the pics I have seen and the many Sparks holsters which I own that there is no comparison. Sparks makes a better holster. Brommeland at CCA is now up to something like $169 and although there might be immediate delivery, you could buy a VM2 plus mag carrier for the same price. The stitching and details on Sparks are much nicer.
    Just FYI, the holster pics and the $169 price at CCA are for the SG (Service Grade) line which is his "budget" line. His regular custom line is quit a bit more expensive and looks a bit better, but not a lot more IMO. And hearing what I'm hearing about the VM2, I'm convinced that the price premium and much longer wait time is just not justified by the MCV.

Which is why I asked the question, and pretty much got the responses I expected: Brommeland's stuff is good when you can get it, but not really any better than Sparks' stuff, at a better price and availability.
    David

Better.....VMII or Max V???

That's a tough one! I too have both and so far slimjim's description on their differences was well explained with his bullet points. My personal experience, the 1 bullet point that really stands out is the "cant" differences. Another words, if the CCW I'll be using is a smaller size pistol like the Ultra Carry, with the shorter grip, than I would choose the VMII. But if I use the Pro Carry with the longer grip, than the Max V would be perfect with it's 25 degree cant.

Otherwise everything else is a toss up like comfort, durability & quality, etc.

Good Luck!

Here's mine:

Last edited by TwinCarry; September 3rd, 2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added pictures
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

I ordered a Del Fatti holster for my son-in-law, and when I got it, I laid out that one, a similar Sparks, and a Brommeland Def-Con.

I consider that all three showed absolutely exceptional and perfect workmanship. I could not determine if one showed better workmanship skill than the others.

When you get to the essentially perfect level it is a matter of choice as to design and aesthetics. In this particular instance with three OWBs I prefered the Brommeland Def-Con. Not that it was better workmanship, but I like the body guard and the overall design better.

I have never had a holster by Lou Alessi, but have one on order. As far as I am concerned those are the four absolute best makers.
    One must consider the business practices of those with whom you do business. My limited experience with Lou, but a lot of praise on the forums, leads me to believe that Matt, Lou, and Sparks cannot be topped, and seldom if ever equaled.

They are gentlemen of the first order. I think I'll leave it at that.

Considering the price, and the accurate delivery dates plus the relatively short wait, the Sparks would be my hands down choice. "It don't get no better than that." It is every bit as nice and the workmanship fully equal to the Max Con. Sparks ExC is my favorite IWB.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I ordered a Del Fatti holster for my son-in-law, and when I got it, I laid out that one, a similar Sparks, and a Brommeland Def-Con.

I consider that all three showed absolutely exceptional and perfect workmanship. I could not determine if one showed better workmanship skill than the others.

When you get to the essentially perfect level it is a matter of choice as to design and aesthetics. In this particular instance with three OWBs I prefered the Brommeland Def-Con. Not that it was better workmanship, but I like the body guard and the overall design better.

I have never had a holster by Lou Alessi, but have one on order. As far as I am concerned those are the four absolute best makers.
    One must consider the business practices of those with whom you do business. My limited experience with Lou, but a lot of praise on the forums, leads me to believe that Matt, Lou, and Sparks cannot be topped, and seldom if ever equaled.

They are gentlemen of the first order. I think I'll leave it at that.

Considering the price, and the accurate delivery dates plus the relatively short wait, the Sparks would be my hands down choice. "It don't get no better than that." It is every bit as nice and the workmanship fully equal to the Max Con. Sparks ExC is my favorite IWB.

Regards,
    Jerry

Jerry, I always enjoy reading your post. You should post at least a minimum of 10 a day. Great job!
    Last edited by TwinCarry; September 3rd, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

TwinCarry, thanks much for those pics! Seeing them side-by-side helps with visualizing the differences better.

I see you have the tuckable clips on the VM2 in one of your photos. What's your opinion of the tucked mode, especially with something the size of a 1911? That's one feature I've never used but am interested in, as I don't always want to wear an untucked outer shirt or jacket. I ordered a cheap High Noon Split Decision tuckable to try with a Kahr CW9 to see how I'd like it, but given the difference in size, that's not really a true test for the 1911's "tuckability." Besides, I'll be giving the CW9 to the wife anyway since she should be getting her CCW this week.
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links