Smart Carry?

Smart Carry?

This is a discussion on Smart Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried the smart carry holster? I am intrigued and would love some feedback, both positive and negative. thanks...

Thread: Smart Carry?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

Smart Carry?

Has anyone tried the smart carry holster? I am intrigued and would love some feedback, both positive and negative.
    thanks
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Smart Carry

Doc,

I have one that I use to carry a K9 when wearing Docker-type slacks, gym shorts, and other loose fitting clothing. With practice, a fairly quick draw can be attained. It IS comfortable as the straps fit around your hipbones and you barely notice it being there. It also carries a spare magazine and maybe another trinket or two (spare key, etc.).

It does take a few trial runs to get it settled where you want it and to accomplish a few other private tasks, but all in all, it's a quite manageable method of carry. It's relatively inexpensive and has a 60 day return policy if the one you pick is a "standard" configuration.

Mine is a standard configuration and I like it. The wife, however, says she needs to do a little mod to it to conform the gun pocket a little more to the real shape of the gun. She says it'll take very little effort to do it, but really, I'm satisfied with the way it is. Listen to others, visit the site, and decide for yourself...with the return policy, you can't hardly go wrong.

Good luck...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

thanks

I have spent the better part of my free time today researching the holster from the website, etc. I seemed odd at first, but I am warming up to the idea. I carry a kimber 3", and don't want to have to wear two shirts to cover the shoulder rig in the summer.
    any one else out there have a comment.
    I appreciate them all.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

Don't have one not my thing, but they are a big thing on my home missouri carry website, The ones who have them swear by them. one of our missouri carry members carries a 500 S&W 4" 4 lb hand cannon in one 16/7 and say's he forget's it is even there. I haven't tried one, not sure I will but like I said the review's are good in my area.

Here is also one to consider! a Law Concealment System LCS II http://www.handgunconcealment.com/LCSII.htm it is more of a pouch as the smart carry or thunder wear is but keep's the gun above the waistband. That is my only ***** about the smart carry, I like the gun above the waistband, I would consider the SC for deep concealment though in the future.

Ti.

Well, I have one and I cannot get it to be comfortable at all. The only gun I can carry with minimum discomfort is the Taurus 617 revolver, and it even pinches me once in awhile. I've tried the method suggested, and I've tried altering it, and I just can't get it to work without discomfort.
    I think the LCSII mentioned above looks promising.

Assistant Administrator
    DOC - coupla years ago or more - chatted with Charlie about this - and ordered one. I can believe he does carry a 1911 in his.

I have reservations but - while I do not find this thinmg easy to use - boy is it ever deep concealment. You do have to practice ''things'' when using one and it sure is not my choice 99% of time.

I am tho pleased to have mine against the very occasional time I need to go max for concealment. Mine is large and will hold a full size but practically - I would restrict useage to something small like R9, if that could not be pocket carried.

I did tho try my SW99 in it and that felt great - not too heavy and a cinch to ''lose''. Main prob' is draw - it is far from rapid but hey - I'd rather deal with that hassle than have no gun at all.

Consider one but maybe not as a daily carry device - keep it tho for ''special occasions'' and you could well be pleased you have it on hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I like the Smart Carry holster....I have two of them. I have carried a bunch of different guns in mine....with little "bulge" :-)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

This thread may answer some of your questions on it.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Looks like a guy could lose the old ween with one of those!!!
    The Marshmallowist

I had one and sent it back. It was very very uncomfortable for me with a Kel-Tec P11.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Red face

I love my smart carry. You can wear it above the waistband simply by pulling your weapon up to the level you want. Wear it normally and it is pretty much deep concealed. When I am going to my vehicle or get one of those "feelings", I will bring the butt up above the waistband. It conceals well with summer wear and most people if they do notice a bulge aren't gonna stare to figure if that is your gun or your weapon! To do #1, it may take some slight adjustments but when you get used to it, there are no problems.
    I carry a 4" SA XD40 and spare mag...no problem
    Shaf

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    This thread may answer some of your questions on it.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog,
    Thanks for the link...that was a big help. I think I am going to order one and give it a try. I have spent $40 on worse things. I will report back in a few weeks to let everyone know my opinion.
    SMART carry, I guess we will see.
    ----DOC-----

I just got 1 a few weeks ago, and to my surprise....I Like It!!!!! Way more comfortable that I thought it would be. It is nice to have at times and works well!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    Looks like a guy could lose the old ween with one of those!!!
    I was a little concerned about this before I wore one. Actually, when worn as suggested, your weapon sits in front of your "ween", even when sitting down. After wearing one, I'm no longer concerned about losing any private parts. As long as your legs aren't crossed, I'm pretty sure you would escape an AD (of your weapon....) without injury.

I disovered recently if you pull the SmartCarry up where the butt is above your waist and on your right hip, it makes a very affective comfortable IWB. You can tuck your shirt in all the way around and over the gun also. It's easy with the SmartCarry to just yank the shirt out and get to the weapon. That's the only way I use the SmartCarry now.

Sponsored Links