Galco Skyops vs Comp-tac C-TAC

This is a discussion on Galco Skyops vs Comp-tac C-TAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wanting a IWB and I've narrowed the choices down to the Galco Skyops and Comp-tac C-TAC. Any input from some owners out there? I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Impax

Thread: Galco Skyops vs Comp-tac C-TAC

Galco Skyops vs Comp-tac C-TAC

I'm wanting a IWB and I've narrowed the choices down to the Galco Skyops and Comp-tac C-TAC. Any input from some owners out there? I have a Galco Concealable now which I really like and an Uncle Mike's paddle, not real fond of the paddle. I want the smallest about of materal on my belt with the best security/holding power. Also I've heard to upsize my pants 2 sizes, any input is most welcomed. Thanks, Mykel

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    One of my son's uses a Sky Ops and won't give it up. I'll try one for my Sig 229 soon.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Personally, I wouldnt even consider the CTAC when the MTAC is so much more comfortable, especially for the few dollars difference. IIRC, the SkyOps only fits a 1 1/4" belt so be prepared to buy a skinny gun belt (and yes, a good gun belt is priceless). As far as pants size, unless your carrying an AR-15, you should really only need 1 size larger and chances are, still have to "crank" your belt some depending on the weight of your gun. YMMV. Good Luck.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I've visited the Galco facility. If you want a factory assembly line holster, go for it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

the biggest benefit of the CTAC over the MTAC is that the only width it adds to your gun is the very thin kydex shell.

the offset clips combined with the shell make it one of the thinnest holsters out there sans Milt Sparks Watch Six.

I actually prefer the CTAC to similar leather holsters, MTAC included. Kydex does not bother my skin at all and is equal in comfort to leather, for ME. For some people kydex is not comfortable and leather is the way to go; but if kydex is comfortable for you then it has many benefits. I must say that I think I am in the minority as it seems most people find leather more comfortable than kydex. It is a personal thing you have to try out to for yourself. My advice would be to buy the CTAC and if it is uncomfortable for you, then return to Comp-Tac for a MTAC. Comp-tac has great customer service and a great return policy.

The biggest feature that makes me choose the CTAC is its adjustability. I have always had problems with dual loop holsters riding to high, then to low, not enough cant then to much cant, and so on. With the CTAC you have so much adjustability that you can adjust it that perfect position for you and your body. I can conceal a CZ P-01 under just a t-shirt with my CTAC. Granted I am that classic hard to fit person and am on the smaller side (5'10", 170lbs, 34" waist); so you may be different and a standard configuration will be fine.

I also find the CTAC extremely comfortable and the draw is one of the great benefits of kydex. The holster is very thin also aiding in the concealment and comfort. Also for a offset loop design it does not take up to much belt space as the clips are thin and they are the only part of the holster that is on the belt or exposed (how I have it adjusted).

Just some thought to consider and good luck in your holster hunt.

I have both and use both.

The C-Tac is by far more stable and adjustable to the wearer. The SkyOps is slightly more comfortable to wear (IMHO) but lacks in stability. It tends to rotate around a bit since there is only a single attach point to the belt. The SkyOps is also a bit more difficult to reholster (no reinforced mouth) if that is important to you.

Each has a place in use, but if you are looking at purchasing a single holster, I'd get the C-Tac.

Hope the feedback helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Personally, I wouldnt even consider the CTAC when the MTAC is so much more comfortable, especially for the few dollars difference. IIRC, the SkyOps only fits a 1 1/4" belt so be prepared to buy a skinny gun belt (and yes, a good gun belt is priceless). As far as pants size, unless your carrying an AR-15, you should really only need 1 size larger and chances are, still have to "crank" your belt some depending on the weight of your gun. YMMV. Good Luck.
    You can get a y-hook for a 1 1/2" Belt
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Bobbeedigi likes this.
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I use a Skyops with my SIG P239. They come with a 1 1/4" Y-hook but also sell a 1 1/2" Y-hook. Good for me since I almost never wear a 1 1/4" belt. It's very easy to switch between the different size hooks if you need to. This holster works great. I have no problem recommending it's use and would buy again.

Adjustable Cant IWB Holster - Custom Carry Concepts,LLC

Another option - similar to the CTAC but $55 and lifetime warranty.

Links