ISO the perfect IWB holster

This is a discussion on ISO the perfect IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most of you, I've been trying to find that perfect holster. I have at least come to know that the best way for me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO the perfect IWB holster

ISO the perfect IWB holster

Like most of you, I've been trying to find that perfect holster. I have at least come to know that the best way for me to CC is an IWB holster.

I have a Crossbreed holster I bought last year that is pretty comfy, but the fact that it has 2 clips makes it a little hard for me to take on and off due to shoulder problems.

It looks like this Highnoon holster would be perfect for what Im looking for, but 20 weeks is just too long for me to wait.

Anyone know if anyone else makes a holster like this? - Leather backed with a cant.

Closing Argument
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

Something like this??

DonHume.com - Product Details

If you're in a hurry, and you like High Noon's stuff, you might consider their Split Decision. It's the exact same thing as the Closing Argument you want, except in a slightly thinner cowhide with less boning, no reinforced mouth, and in black only. It's a stocking item and is only $35 + s/h -- I think mine was $42.99 shipped, and only took like 3-4 days to arrive from the day I ordered. It would be a relatively cheap investment for 6 months while waiting for your Closing Argument to be made, and would actually give you a chance to test that style of holster before committing to ordering the Closing Argument.

I bought one for a Kahr CW9, and for the price I really like it.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

That looks like what I'm looking for. I wonder if there's 15 degree cant model?

Quote Originally Posted by southbound View Post
    Something like this??

DonHume.com - Product Details
    I also did order the HN Split Decision, but the lightweight leather was so light, it had no stiffness at the mouth to enable one-handed re-holstering. I ended up returning it.

Also, I don't consider not wanting to wait 20+ weeks for a holster to be impatience. I just think that length of time is unreasonable unless they raise their own cows, slaughter them, tan the hides, etc.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    20 weeks too long? I'd put the order in and keep looking. You may be looking way longer than that. You an always cancel an order, just don't pay up front.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Yup, I do think 20~25 weeks is too long. After all, it's not as if every gun is completely different. A Glock 23 is a Glock 23. Unless you have one or two people working for you, 5~ 6 months for a standard made to order anything is too long IMHO. I also don't have the money to buy a temporary holster and then pay for a "real" EDC holster.

And no I don't know anything about holster making, but I hope the holster makers know enough to make it faster than it takes to raise crop and harvest them.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    20 weeks too long? I'd put the order in and keep looking. You may be looking way longer than that. You an always cancel an order, just don't pay up front.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    Yup, I do think 20~25 weeks is too long. After all, it's not as if every gun is completely different. A Glock 23 is a Glock 23. Unless you have one or two people working for you, 5~ 6 months for a standard made to order anything is too long IMHO. I also don't have the money to buy a temporary holster and then pay for a "real" EDC holster.

And no I don't know anything about holster making, but I hope the holster makers know enough to make it faster than it takes to raise crop and harvest them.
    Fist holsters...reasonable $$$...good quality...3-5 weeks! I have 2 dozen+ of them...very satisified.

Search out Fist via the above Related Links.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Thumbs up Life Rule #4.7

You can have it fast.
    You can have it cheap.
    You can have it good.
    PICK TWO.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

That looks like what I'm looking for. I wonder if there's 15 degree cant model?
    EDIT: nevermind, I thought you were asking about the Split Decision before I saw you already had ordered one.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I agree about the wait, I don't like it either. But it's easy to see why: most custom holster shops are 1-5 man operations, and they often have backlogs of HUNDREDS of orders at a time. Most are probably doing well to average completing 1-2 holsters per day, so if you do the math you can easily see why it takes so long. Some have taken TWO YEARS or more to complete orders (Brommeland, for example).

Have you checked eBay and GunBrokers? You can often fine them at auction.
    David

Have you looked at the Mtac by Comptac?, it has two clips, BUT they are EASY on and off a belt. Those metal clips on the High Noon and Don Hume are very stiff and not so easy to slip over a belt. I had one of those IN STOCK High Noons and returned it, as it was too flimsy for my liking. I have a Don Hume for my 642, it is a decent holster for the money, but again, that clip is not so easy to slide over a belt. The Mtac's clip on each side of gun helps with concealing and stabilizing better than a single attachment point. I like their clips better than those on the Mini Tuck I have from Crossbreed for my LCP. Give it a try, you can return it, if it does not suit you, but I think you will be very pleased with it. I bought mine to hold me over, until my real holster was ready from well know maker. After using the M tac, I canceled the order for the $$ holster and have never looked back, I like it that much. It holds my Glock secure and comfortably all day.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    First, lets make sure you understand the wait for the holster to begin with. It's not that it'll take 20 weeks to make your holster. It's that business is good for many top holster makers (and some who aren't!). It will take 20 weeks for them to fill your order after having filled all the other orders that came before yours. Only reasonable (many have found if you try to rush product to meet increased demand, quality often suffers, and ultimately so will the business. A lot of these holster makers are wise enough to see beyond today.

There are always alternatives. One good one is to find an up and coming holster maker who is not yet a "household name" among online holster buyers, and purchase from them. Some great quality can be had from many of them, and often at reasonable prices and a shorter wait. One such example may be an earlier respondant to this thread, Nate at UBG Holsters (his sig line quotes a wait time of around 5-7 weeks.

I've got no experience with him, don't know if he has something like you're looking for, but have read many great reviews of his work here.

The holster you pictured looks a lot to me like a Galco I used to own that was the predecessor to the current model NSA II.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Hi Chuck,

My Tuck Clip is similar and you can have a Tuck Snap with leather loop with snap connection instead if that makes it easier.

I can do 4 different connections for most of my IWBs. Regular Clip, J-clip, Leather loops with snap and stitched closed loop with no extra cost.

Tuck Clip

Tuck Snap
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I too played the "I'm not gonna wait coz 6 months is way too long" game but in the end, I was only kidding myself. I realized that if I just quit jerking around and placing an order ASAP, I'd have my nice comfy custom holster sooner. Like Nate mentioned, you can always order and then cancel if you find something you really like while waiting. Just don't pay upfront.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to wait 6+ months or so. After all, 6 months really is a looooonnng time :)

First I want to make sure that I'm not just singling out High Noon. They have been great to deal with in regards to the holster I had to return.

Second, I do understand that there is a back log of orders. However, it seems to me that when you have already have a pattern for a holster that it shouldn't take months to make a finished product.

I also want to thank you guys for mentioning some other makers as I will be checking them out including Side Guard - 5~7 week turnaround.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links