J frame OWB.....Ive got to brag.

This is a discussion on J frame OWB.....Ive got to brag. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very few things fit me as being "just right" but ive got to brag on this one. For my 642 ive bought about 5 different ...

Thread: J frame OWB.....Ive got to brag.

Thumbs up J frame OWB.....Ive got to brag.

Very few things fit me as being "just right" but ive got to brag on this one.
    For my 642 ive bought about 5 different holsters trying to find the "right one". Well the other day I ordered a triple K style 246, skeleton slide holster (open top). All ive got to say is this thing fits right and at the 3:30 position it hugs great , fits all J frames and for less than $30 its a deal.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    For my 642 ive bought about 5 different holsters trying to find the "right one". Well the other day I ordered a triple K style 246, skeleton slide holster (open top). All ive got to say is this thing fits right and at the 3:30 position it hugs great , fits all J frames and for less than $30 its a deal.
    Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you buy 5 holsters that were not from the good makers? It is easy to see one in a shop, and find it is not the quality you want.

You may not want to name the makers, but makers like Sparks, Alessi, and some others often mentioned here are worth the money and the wait. I cannot imagine that one would not be pleased with a holster from them.

I just wondered, and hope you don't mind me asking.

Regards,
    Jerry

I didnt mention anything about the quality of them, just the fit, their quality wasnt the issue.

Of the 4 or 5 local GS I went to and one BassPro shops , excluding nylon holsters which I wasnt looking for I found 1 store that had a J frame holster in stock. It was a "name brand" holster, but it wasnt what I was looking for. They sure will order anything you want, but they wont take it back when it doesnt fit you right.

The highest cost one of the 5 I bought (galco) is at the top of the list of the ones I would never wear, a Bianchi was the next worst fitting/feeling on me.

Just because its from a "good maker" holster company doesnt make it a good holster. It may make it a well made quality holster, but if it doesnt fit right or feel right when strapped on its totally worthless.

Frankly, I'm surprised you had that much trouble getting a comfy fit for something as compact and simple as a J-frame.

Glad you got it worked out, though.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Glad it worked out for you. Carry in good health.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I didnt mention anything about the quality of them, just the fit, their quality wasnt the issue.

Of the 4 or 5 local GS I went to and one BassPro shops , excluding nylon holsters which I wasnt looking for I found 1 store that had a J frame holster in stock. It was a "name brand" holster, but it wasnt what I was looking for. They sure will order anything you want, but they wont take it back when it doesnt fit you right.

The highest cost one of the 5 I bought (galco) is at the top of the list of the ones I would never wear, a Bianchi was the next worst fitting/feeling on me.

Just because its from a "good maker" holster company doesnt make it a good holster. It may make it a well made quality holster, but if it doesnt fit right or feel right when strapped on its totally worthless.
    Yes if that would be the case, but I have never found that a holster from Sparks, Brommeland, or Del Fatti was uncomfortable. Of course depending on the build of an individual, the weight of the gun, the belt, and how he desires to wear it one could get one that is uncomfortable.

But from a good maker it is a good holster in terms of workmanship whether one is comfortable or not.
    I have drawers full of gun store holsters which I do not use, and most I have given away. I finally concluded that any holster I am going to use must be very high quality. Less than that a holster might be comfortable, but will not remain that way for years.

I did not mean to offend by my question, but I read time after time someone rave about a holster, and when I learn what it is I conclude they have never owned a top notch holster with a comparable belt. That is the reason for my question.

In the end, if you are satisfied with a Triple K holster then I think that is great.

The end user's opinion is the important.

Regards,
    Jerry

concealed 642

Has anybody else used the Triple K? I'm looking for a good CC Holster. I was thinking about El Paso Saddlery.

I've tried holsters from just about every major maker. Most make great products. Everyone has a different opinion on which is best. I have found that UBG and Sideguard make the holsters that best suit me. Sometimes you just have to look until you find what works.

I am surprised that you needed to go through so many holsters for one gun (better get a BIG box), but at least you found one that fits your needs.
    Holster shopping is like buying shoes...no one else can pick 'em out for you. Ask 25 people about a good holster, and you'll be directed to 25 different sites...

Stay armed...with the right holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jgarc493 View Post
    Has anybody else used the Triple K? I'm looking for a good CC Holster. I was thinking about El Paso Saddlery.
    I have a holster from EPS for my S&W 640 .357. It is an OK holster, but I am not pleased with it. Mine is the #88 "Street Combat" Holster. Retention is satisfactory, but not really as tight as I would like. It is not well boned.

Go with someone like Sparks if he makes what you want. I intended to call him last week to see if he makes a pancake for a 640. I never cared for the Askins design. I am not sure Sparks makes a pancake for a J-Frame.

Assuming you can make do with the Triple K I would recommend you check out the top makers here and order one and wait.
    That is my plan, as the EPS holster works even though it is not what I want.

Regards,
    Jerry

Congratulations! It's always is good feeling when finding the right holster.

Pictures by any chance?
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

do you have any pictures? and, where did you purchase it again?

thanks for your time.

Links