Best holster for glock 23

This is a discussion on Best holster for glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I just purchased a glock 23, I am interested in opinions on the best holster options. I will normally ankle carry, carry on ...

Thread: Best holster for glock 23

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a glock 23, I am interested in opinions on the best holster options. I will normally ankle carry, carry on my right side and possible shoulder carry.

Thanks,

Safrotin

Welcome to DC!

I'd suggest you select the best holster for your needs and desires, including dress style, body shape, and personal preferences, and figure the G23 will be happy.

Almost all holster makers (look at links provided in the Mega List and Banners) will make for the Glocks - it is truly more a question of what you want!

I use a SOB carried at 4:00 for my Glock (I have two custom OWB rigs on order too), my wife loves her Sam Andrews Monarch Shoulder Rig for her Glocks. All of our Glocks are well adjusted, well socialized, and well behaved.

It is truly a personal choice based on experience and personal preferences, and we all have a drawer of holsters to prove it.

Good luck.

Don't think we'll find many for ankle carry of the G23 or G19. Sub-compact seems a bit large for that venue. If you have been doing this, some of us would definitely like to see some pics. Personally, my ankle/calf area isn't thick enough to do that....much less my choice of pants which mainly consist of jeans. IWB strong side would be my venue....oh heck!...that is what I do with G19. Not sure what 'shoulder carry' is.

Quote Originally Posted by safrotin View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just purchased a glock 23, I am interested in opinions on the best holster options. I will normally ankle carry, carry on my right side and possible shoulder carry.

Thanks,

Safrotin
    First off, Welcome Aboard!

I carry a G23. It's a great platform. I will say that the G23 and ankle carry are two subjects not usually discussed together. It's too big for my ankle anyway.

I have several holsters I switch-out depending on what I need/what I'm doing. My 'workhorse' concealment holster is Comp-Tac's MTAC, an IWB. I have a CTAC (IWB) as well that I use for tucking in around my 'dressier' shirts. Either of those two are exceptional for deep concealment.
    I also have a K&D Defender (OWB) that I got two weeks ago and am still 'breaking in'. It's a great holster! A custom leather holster is a wonderful thing.
    I even have a sholder rig that only sees use when driving and a few other specific situations. It's an old nylon one but it server it's limited purpose very well.
    Finally, look at what YOU need and want.....and go from there.

Use the search option to review other posts on this very subject.
    Let us know what you settle on for your new Glock.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Welcome to the forum.

G23 on your ankle oh my. That would be too heavy and the grip too big IMHO.

Shoulder would be better but I would choose IWB or OWB for G23. Of my holsters, I would suggest The Slide for the OWB and Double Clip/Snap for IWB. Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Fist #1A w/clip and cant...the perfect holster for my Glock-36.
    Quality holster, reasonable price, and quick delivery (3-5 weeks)...check out 'Related Links' above...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    +1 for the K&D Eagle Defender if you want a OWB holster, but you will have a little wait for it, but it is worth it.
    Attached Images

For the first try,spend 12-15 bucks for a Glock Sport/Combat and try it out.
    I have a bunch of holsters of all kinds but found I like the Glock's the best. I have tried both outside the belt and in-side the belt and find I like the inside the belt the best. It is held close to the body and I wear it with untucked T-shirts.

It looks cheap and so it is, but it works great and wears well and will last a long time.

For my Glock I have a Crossbreed for IWB, a Mitch Rosen & a Blackhawk Serpa for OWB, a chest band for deep concealment. I think most need at least a couple of holsters for different needs.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry mine on the belt
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Comptac MTAC (with a good gunbelt! ie: Beltman)

Smartcarry

Enjoy it!

What these guys are saying is mostly correct IMO. I have a S&W M&P40C and wanted an ankle option. The best that I have found is made by DeSantis. It's a copy of the Galco, but Galco only makes the COP series for guns this large and the COP Series are crap.

So...the ankle glove knockoff made by DeSantis is pretty good but the 40C is pushing it on the size factor and having owned a Glock 23 I know it is slightly larger then the S&W.

Take a look at the Desantis Die Hard Ankle Rig and see what you think. They dont have a listing for the 23 model but give them a call, they might make it. If not, you can use the model for the sub compact, crank down the retention and ditch the thumb break.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out. Some guys here like the ankle option for a bug, or depending on clothing even for a primary.

Die Hard Ankle Rig
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by safrotin View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Safrotin
    You might look at my NM#1, it's a comfortable option for IWB.

Nick.

Milt Sparks VM II, IWB. Long wait, but worth it. MTAC, IWB. Short wait from Comptac. This is also a great holster but I like my VM II a little better.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Since thats a popular gun, there's always used MS Versa Max II holsters out there. Just be patient and look at different sites. If you get one of these, your good to go!!!
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Links