Too fat for In-The-Pants?

This is a discussion on Too fat for In-The-Pants? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to belittle anyone, especially since I'm talking about myself, but I've found in my middle years that I've grown a little round around the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too fat for In-The-Pants?

Too fat for In-The-Pants?

Not to belittle anyone, especially since I'm talking about myself, but I've found in my middle years that I've grown a little round around the middle - too round for an IWB to be comfortable anymore. That option no longer available I find myself leaning toward pancakes and Small-Of-Back holsters to minimize "printing". I'm 5-10 and 200 pounds. Not in BAD shape, just got a few pounds around the middle I'm working on losing. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on other carry methods that don't require several hours (exagerating) to get the gun out?
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

2. Remove Ads

Much bigger boys than you do OK with IWB. Me included, but I suppose it depends on individual dimensions. FWIW, my crossbreed supertuck works well.

I will add that If I carry my keltec with the beltclip, it does take a little doing to get it out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Frank-
    Though i don't have a spare tire problem, I find I'm carrying at 9:30 (lefty!) in a belt slide with the standard 15% rake 99% of the time anymore. This keeps the muzzle of the G23 off the point of my hipbone and still allows me to move and sit comfortably. An upside to this is I get no printing while reaching,bending etc., and the draw is very fast and the weapon is reachable with the off hand if needed. Might also mention that retention is very good in this position.

I'm a little taller and a lot heavier than you, and prefer IWB holsters.

You may (and this is not meant in a bad way) want to start buying one size larger pants. I was having the same problem--pants w/o IWB fit fine, with IWB too tight for draw...went up one size, and everything's good.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Right there with you brother! I am in the process of getting an IWB from Dave at littlebearholsters.com. He has an exaggerated "fat guard" and a wider stance that distributes the pistol's weight more evenly along the belt line. In the interim, I'm using a JIT between an undershirt and a long (big 'n tall) dark over shirt. My pants are about one size larger than normal, but this method works on "standard" pants as well. Thankfully, fall is rapidly approaching and I will be going primarily with an OWB until warmer weather returns. I carry a 5" 1911 at the 4:00 position with no problems, no pinching, no printing.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I'm a lot shorter and only a bit lighter than you and I carry IWB everyday. I carry either a Kahr PM9 or HK P30. I don't dress much around the gun either, just a loose shirt w/ jeans or shorts for me.

Funny thing is that I actually find IWB more comfortable than OWB, OWB just seems too heavy and I can feel the weight more than IWB.

Unless I hung around with a lot of people between the ages of 125-130, I'm well beyond the 'middle years'.
    I'm fairly well-rounded...emphasis on the 'rounded' part.
    Even with tight shorts, I can tuck my Glock or Ultra in behind my right kidney...in the curve of my back, but not over the spine. I use a Fist #41 SOB...not really a true small of the back holster...more a 'palm out draw IWB over the kidney...don't even know it's there. I can sit and I'm perfectly comfortable.
    When driving, I sometimes take an extra holster to tuck between the seats.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

5'8" 180 carry IWB 8:30 1911 compact 24/7
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

TOF
    I am 6 2" 250 Lb. and carry an M&P40 IWB in a Galco Summer Comfort at 3:30 to 4:00. It works great for me.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

wow - thanks for all the fast responses. I had thought about buying the next size up pants but that gets pricey when I look at how many pair in how many colors. It's obviously just cheaper for me to lose a few pounds.

I hadn't considered cross draw except for when I'm driving long distances. That's the one time I don't like SOB or even OWB at the 4 or 5 o'clock position. It's just to hard to get out quick sitting in the seat.

Continuing research... all further responses appreciated.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

I have tried all kinds of IWB holsters and didn't like any of them.
    I went to a Glock Sport/Combat and wear it inside my belt( belt over the outside) and love it. It hides as well as an IWB for me with just a T-shirt over it untucked.
    Plus it is cheap to try out( 12- 15 bucks) and see if you like it.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post
    wow - thanks for all the fast responses. I had thought about buying the next size up pants but that gets pricey when I look at how many pair in how many colors. It's obviously just cheaper for me to lose a few pounds.
    When I started carrying IWB, I went out and bought some "carry pants" and "carry shirts" that were a size bigger than I wear. You definitely want/need looser clothes not only to fit the holster in there more comfortably, but it also conceals better. I actually use a tuckable IWB for my Sig 229, and even as thick as that gun is, it conceals pretty well.

Of course, losing weight is the cheaper option and you will feel better after you do it, but it takes longer. But regardless of how you do it, the clothes probably should be a bit looser if you carry IWB.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I picked up some weight this year, and don't want to buy new pants, either. Got the classic beer gut, wear my slacks under it. Find myself switching from Officer's/Commander IWB, to Smith 640 OWB at 10:00. Comfortable, and melts right into my gut!

5'11", 293 lbs. IWB is extremely uncomfortable for me. Pancake holster @ 3:00 OWB

VIP Member
    To some IWB carry isn't that noticeable and to others it's unbearable. It seems like it's a personal preference as to how much discomfort one can or will endure in order to IWB carry. Certainly the weight and width of the weapon makes a difference too.

I'm 5'11 and 235! I prefer to IWB my 1911 90 to 95% of the time opting for OWB only during the winter when I can keep a cover garment on all day.

The IWB holster you choose might also make the difference... I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links