IWB retention for 1911

This is a discussion on IWB retention for 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired both a Versa Max II and Fist #2 convertable for my Kimber Pro Carry HD II and Kahr K9 respectively. Both fit ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWB retention for 1911

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I recently acquired both a Versa Max II and Fist #2 convertable for my Kimber Pro Carry HD II and Kahr K9 respectively. Both fit my guns like a second skin. I actually had to modify my Kimber, because it was shaving leather from the inside of the holster, the fit was so exact. From either holster you have to draw very deliberately. In my VM II I have noticed that rocking the gun forward when drawing helps, maybe you should consider this holster, just be prepared for a wait.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    VMII is widely regarded as the standard in IWB holsters, but there are plenty of options out there that don't cost as much (and plenty that cost more) and are available quicker... Bluegrass Holsters, K&D Leather, and TT Gunleather come to mind.

BTW... pistol whipping is a good way to cure people like your friend of stupid behavior...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Milt Sparks VMII or the Comp-Tac MTAC. I use both and they both will fit your needs. Order the MTAC and you'll have it in about a week then order the VMII and wear the MTAC while you wait. Then you will have two of the best IWB holsters made and can wear them both as the mood hits you.
    I concur.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    Retention on a GOOD quality leather holster (especially IWB) is most often going to be enough even if an idiot decides to try to draw your gun.

Here is a video I made specifically talking about retention with holsters that do NOT have specific retention devices but still retain against improper draws.

YouTube - Holster Talk Part 4

You won't be convinced until you either try it or see if for yourself but if you watch the video you can see that a quality leather holster will retain your firearm EVEN AGAINST SOMEONE TRYING TO DRAW IT. The only way the gun will come out of the holster is if it is drawn from the correct angle which is made specifically for the wearer, not the guy to your back, front or side.

The video posted above is just part 4. You can watch 1-3 if you'd like as well where I talk more about holsters and what makes one good or bad.

Your cheap nylon/fabric holsters cannot match the retention quality of fine crafted leather and never will. They are one step above just sticking the thing in your waistband.

Watch the video and decide whether or not you still need a retention strap. There are retention straps out there but you may decide you don't need them.

I carry a 5" 1911 in a Brommeland IWB. Great open top, the retention is good enough to turn gun in holster upside down and shake and the gun will not fall out. Yet, the draw is smooth. Extreme cant helps to hide the gun so well that even a snug fitting polo shirt will hide the gun grip.

I have a Bluegrass OWB on the way. Search Bluegrass holsters on this web forum and you will be sold as I was. The quality is spot on and the price is great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links