Thumb break or not? - Page 3

Thumb break or not?

This is a discussion on Thumb break or not? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farmerbyron I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thumb break or not?

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open topped. I like the idea of weapon retention with a strap, but I don't know if that extra 1/2 second could make the difference if caught off guard.
    you don't need one.my kydex iwb holster has no strap and i can hold it udside down and my sig wont come out.
    when i pull my gun out on purpose though it comes out faster than any holster i have.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Thumbs up

Thats a personal decision. I have both and use both. I am looking at an IWB for my next holster and it will not have one. Some time ago I was at a hardware store looking at time. I was bending up and down laying out paterns and next thing I know my snubbie was rolling on the floor. Holster was a light soft swede leather iwb. Next day I bought a DeSantis owb with a thumb snap and retention screw. I like it and I dont think it slows me down. But I do practice. If you are moving around a lot and are say putting up hay, hiking, or something similar your needs are different than say if you are at the grocery store, or just driving. Buy a good quality holster either way and make sure its a good fit.

Senior Moderator
    Genearlly if it is an IWB I perfer no strap, if OWB then I would perfer a strap.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    What holster is that? Please.
    Any well made holster should and will do that. With that said, only three times I would want a TB and thats just for a "just in case". There may be more but I have not done them.

On a motor cycle, ATV riding, horse back riding. Other then that here are our thoughts.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Que...stions.html#28

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Not.

With a properly designed holster, for cc, additional retention devices are completely unnecessary IMHO.
    Without questioning the truth of that statement, nevertheless I doubt that many gunmen in the world could define "a properly designed holster" correctly and completely. Perhaps for them it's like other forms of quality: "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it"? Certainly every subset of holsters has its own criteria.

If one assumes, because of this forum's focus, that we'd start with the subset "concealment holsters", the best listing I've ever seen was by Bill Wilson when he was starting up his own line (which has always been made by Safariland/Rogers).

Therefore, the average buyer is just not going to know when he's looking at "a properly designed holster", and so could be better off by choosing one with at least a tension screw; not least because a thumbreak can be done badly.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

G'evening high noon: While I was in the Border Patrol I developed a modified thumb strap for quick draw. It worked perfectly for me, it did not slow down my draw and yet held the S&W securely in place while running & wrestling with wets, or hopping on and off of moving freight trains etc..

It was designed in two parts and the holster was made by the leather worker on the King Ranch of the heaviest hide that I have ever seen.

On quick drawing as your hand dropped down to the holster level, it hit a short vertical, outside strap of extremely heavy leather which was locked to the inner, upper, much lighter, over the gun, strap with a snap..

You hit this automatically with the heel of your hand on the downward movement just as you reached holster level, which unsnapped it from the over the pistol top strap. It was just part of the draw and fast.

With the strap locked in place i could hit around 3/5 th of a sec in a self started draw with a hit on a sil. target at around 15 ft .

I never had it knocked open or become unsnapped, this after years of riding my mule all over the then unexplored barrancas of northern Mexico later.

Wanna simple diagram of it ?? .

Don jose de La Mancha

We Love history, of course. Can you post here or do you want to sent it to us?

Alex

IWB no strap, however for open carry I would say yes. Myself I actually like the older side snap strap over the thumb break. I can slap leather and unsnap on the way up faster and get the weapon on target faster then with a thumb snap under pressure and speed. You need to ascertain which way is best for you in a speed draw with a coat on, or out in the open. When u have multi layers of clothing on sometimes a thumb strap release can be hard to get ur thumb on in a panic draw. U need to test draw with different holsters with ur weapon of choice with the types of clothes u wear and ur dress. Be sure to practice this unloaded though to be safe.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

The strap makes sense open carry any pistol,IWB makes sense to me with say sa cocked and locked,or someone who jumps around a lot wrestles with perps etc.
    Most importantly must be easy to unstrap,most leo unstrap at a traffic stop,so dont have that problem if it hits the fan.

Good morning Alex, I will post it in here, but you are perfectly free to use if you wish on your products. If it saves one life I am repaid in full.

Stories on exploring ? I have tons of them from the Gobi, old China, to the Quintan Roo jungles.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open topped. I like the idea of weapon retention with a strap, but I don't know if that extra 1/2 second could make the difference if caught off guard.
    If you learn to do it correctly, it is not going to slow you down at all. Like anything, practice with the technique some , after you learn it.

Also, extra retention never hurts.

Hopefully, you are NEVER suprised, but... if you had to physically fight someone, run, or do other things ... or they would go for your gun.... it's helps keep it where it belongs and from them getting it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    In my experience, a well-designed thumb break doesn't slow down the draw any. I like thumb breaks on OWB holsters.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

G'evening :adies & Gentlemen: Alex, it is simplicity in itself. The only thing to remember is to adjust the velco fastening each time so that there is no free play in the retainng strap.

Normal down ward movement of the hand strikes the upper part of the heavier, lower, leather strap, disengaging the two straps.

I have never has the retaining strap hang up on the pistol\\

Remember to use directional velcro set to open more easily on the downward movement.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Thumb strap quick draw configuration.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links