Thumb break or not?

Thumb break or not?

This is a discussion on Thumb break or not? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open topped. I like the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thumb break or not?

Thumb break or not?

I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open topped. I like the idea of weapon retention with a strap, but I don't know if that extra 1/2 second could make the difference if caught off guard.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

CC IWB I don't have a strap (as I think it would slow me down). OWB (open carry) I do.

Most point out the strap does not hinder draw as long as you practice. I think they are correct, but I'm not sure I want to test this in a CC / SD situation.

However, when I open carry, I just like knowing the gun is a little more secure because I am normally out in the woods when I open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I am curious on different opinions on wither or not to get a holster with a top strap or just open topped. I like the idea of weapon retention with a strap, but I don't know if that extra 1/2 second could make the difference if caught off guard.
    I don't care for them. It's just one more thing to slow you down, and if you have a good holster that fits your weapon, I don't think they're really necessary. I use a crossbreed holster and my sidearm fits it nice and snug, no need for a retention strap IMHO.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I suggest that type of retention for open carry or if you do some type of work or recreation that may beg for more retention of the pistol.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I use all open top holsters. If someday open carry becomes an option here, I may consider a thumb break, but not likely.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I carry IWB without a thumb break. OWB I carry with a SERPA, so it doesn't have the thumb break, but it does have a retention device. In Iraq I carry on the thigh with a thumb break. The SERPA and the thumb break have never slowed down my draw after practicing a bit.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The only time I carry with a thumb break is when I OC.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Administrator
    Since you were asking if 1/2 of a second could make a difference.
    Absolutely a half second too late could mean the difference between life or death.
    One half second is an eternity if the bad guy is running at you wanting to crack your skull with a ball bat.
    Buy a good well fiting holster with good retention and forget the retention strap.
    They are not necessary for civilian carry in a properly fitting holster.

My first holster had a retention strap...the holster went to 'holster heaven'...I now only use a quality open top holster.

I mentioned before that I once tripped and tumbled down a set of bleechers at a rodeo. After my wife quit laughng...I picked myself up, checked all my bones, and rebuilt my ego...but, the gun?...it was still in the holster.
    A quality holster will retain the weapon very well.

Stay armed...use a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i think for CC, thumbstraps, or any level II retention, is unnecessary. the holster should be just tight enough to hold your gun in place. for open carry, a retention system should absolutely be used.
    marcclarke likes this.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    When i worked LE i considered a thumbsnap or other retention method as necessary due to the possibility of getting into a scuffle while off duty/plainclothes. Now that i am out of LE i am apathetic on the issue as long as the holster is not over loose . I have been bucked off horses wearing open topped iwb holsters and never lost the gun so for most of us it is really a non issue . At the same time ill point out that if you train properly with a thumbsnap it creates NO delay at all in your draw . Release of the strap becomes a natural part of attaining your grip during the draw and does not slow you down .
    Tayopo likes this.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Not.

With a properly designed holster, for cc, additional retention devices are completely unnecessary IMHO.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

For civilian CCW holster use, no thumb breaks for me.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Old habits die hard. I carry in a thumbstrapped pancake holster, OWB, right hip. This is the same position and type of holster I have carried in since the early 80's, first with a revolver then with the Glock 17 when my department transitioned in 1991. It is second nature and no delay to me to pop the strap, but I have over a quarter century of muscle memory going for me.

I have several thumb break holsters. I like them because sometimes I switch to open carry. I see you are from OK, so I guess that is not possible for you.
    If you want something more secure, but don't like thumb breaks, check out the CQC SERPA holsters. SMOOOOOOOTH and very secure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links