Glock 23 CC Ideas, I am new at this!!!

This is a discussion on Glock 23 CC Ideas, I am new at this!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, Maybe some one can help? I apologize for the long post . I have decided to buy a Glock 23 for my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 CC Ideas, I am new at this!!!

Glock 23 CC Ideas, I am new at this!!!

Hey All, Maybe some one can help? I apologize for the long post.
    I have decided to buy a Glock 23 for my first CCW. I decided this because of It size and round caliber. I feel that a 40. S&W is just right for me, Stopping power and Price friendly.( Range practice can get expensive.) I was raised in Boston so my passed experience with pistols is limited. Glock seems to be a very easy gun to field strip and clean. My question is what would be the best way for me to carry my pistol? Again I make frequent trips to Boston so I need to hide it very well. I have tried different ways with a BB gun that is close in Dimensions with the Glock. I am 5/6 180lb with an average frame. The small of my back seems to be the best way hide the gun but, I do not feel safe drawing my weapon, due to the quick second that it is pointed at my side when I make my draw. On my strong side the handle of any gun will bulge, and the cross draw does not seem to tactical, does any one have any ideas? Maybe a cost friendly holster?
    Again Thanks.
    Rob from MASS

2. Remove Ads

welcome aboard/holster search

first off,welcome aboard. if you need deep concealment
    you might want to look at the smartcarry. you'll get
    diffrent views on this type of carry. i have one for my
    g-27. is comfortable but slower on the draw. you can practice
    drawing that way until it works better for you. i used to
    have the 23 a few yrs. ago and picked up to 27 when
    i got my cpl. (you consider getting the g-27).
    same cal. and all, just a little shorter, slide and height.
    any lots of diffrent options holster wise and other members
    will also throw in ideas that should be helpful to you.
    good luck in your quest. carry on and stay safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

My DeSantis Scorpion w/G19. Hides very well for me. I've even used it with tucked-in shirt.

I have a G19 and decided IWB was the best concealment method that still offers a bit of comfort and ease of drawing. In the winter you could do OWB with a good holster. Some people do OWB year round but I have found that IWB is better if you wear t-shirts quite a bit of the time.

I have a Comp-Tac MTAC on order that seems to have quite a loyal fan base. Some other people prefer a custom leather rig, but I didn't want to wait the months to get one and did not really want to pay much over MSRP.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Welcome aboard!

My G23, when I need it deeply concealed, rides in a Comp-Tac MTAC or CTAC. They're 'tuckable', IWB holsters. The MTAC is very comfortable and keeps my Glock hidden and secure.

There are MANY options for your Glock and ultimately it's what YOU are going to feel most comfortable with. I'm NOT a strong proponent of SOB carry. That's too difficult to get to if you end up on your back, can't see behind you, and just plain hurts while driving. That's just me though.

Again, Welcome to the forum and congrats on a fine choice of a carry sidearm. A quick search of this fourm using the search function will reveal a whole gaggle of topics on possiable options for youe choice.

Stay Safe.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

CC with G23

I have been using a Blackhawk IWB holster with my G23. You do have to wear a shirt untucked, but there are many styles that look good and don't make it appear that you're trying to hide something and also don't make you look like a slob. The Blackhawk I use can be found at this link: BLACKHAWK ! *Inside-the-Pant Clip Holster

I like this holster because most of the gun is below the belt line. The grip, however, still sticks out a bit, but again, a good shirt with a little extra room will hide any "printing."

I am considering trying a DeSantis "Insider," The Insider
    which places the gun even lower than the Blackhawk. It will be interesting to see if it sits too low and ends up placing the grip below belt line.

One other thought regarding small-of-the-back placement; I personally feel that this puts the gun in a vulnerable spot where it could more easily be taken away if someone with bad intent spots it. You won't have as much time to react. I also share your concern about muzzle direction. In small of the back, your glutes are potential victims. With the Blackhawk I use, it's much less likely that any body parts could fall victim.

There was a long thread some time ago (perhaps someone else will post a link to that thread) that had many pictures of how people carry their weapons.

Finding the exact holster and the most comfortable position is a very individual 'search'.
    I have two EDC's (every day carry), a 1911 Kimber Ultra, and a Glock-36...my Harley gun.

I either use a Fist #1A (w/clip, cant, & body protector), or a Fist #41 SOB (small of the back) which is not really worn on the spine but gives a palm out draw over the kidney.
    Both holsters are IWB (inside the waistband) and are very easily concealed.

Some people will give their opinions on...'why to' or 'why not to'...use a particular holster type, but you need to make your own decision. Do you buy shoes based on what others recommend or do you but them based on how they feel and work for YOU?

You will find yourself making adjustments, even when you get that quality holster...and do buy a good one, nothing cheap...you get what you pay for...
    You will move it a bit forward or back to find that perfect spot on your body that is comfortable for you.
    Soon, you will hardly notice your sidearm and you will then join the many others who have taken that step forward in becoming more responsible for the protection of themselves and and their families.

Enjoy your CCW search...

Stay armed...use a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There was a long thread some time ago (perhaps someone else will post a link to that thread) that had many pictures of how people carry their weapons.

Finding the exact holster and the most comfortable position is a very individual 'search'.
    I have two EDC's (every day carry), a 1911 Kimber Ultra, and a Glock-36...my Harley gun.

I either use a Fist #1A (w/clip, cant, & body protector), or a Fist #41 SOB (small of the back) which is not really worn on the spine but gives a palm out draw over the kidney.
    Both holsters are IWB (inside the waistband) and are very easily concealed.

Some people will give their opinions on...'why to' or 'why not to'...use a particular holster type, but you need to make your own decision. Do you buy shoes based on what others recommend or do you but them based on how they feel and work for YOU?

You will find yourself making adjustments, even when you get that quality holster...and do buy a good one, nothing cheap...you get what you pay for...
    You will move it a bit forward or back to find that perfect spot on your body that is comfortable for you.
    Soon, you will hardly notice your sidearm and you will then join the many others who have taken that step forward in becoming more responsible for the protection of themselves and and their families.

Enjoy your CCW search...

Stay armed...use a quality holster...stay safe!
    Is it this one? http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...concealed.html

It's a sticky at the top of the page

Hate to say it but finding a holster that works for you is harder than picking the right gun. It all depends on your body size, type of clothing you wear, and the enviroment that you will be carrying. Some gun shops have a good selection of holsters that they will let you try out but its hard to find one that has multiple holster types for your gun. Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Is it this one? http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...concealed.html

It's a sticky at the top of the page
    Yep!

Thar' she is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a G23 and a Comp-tac Spartan (economy version of the MTAC) and about your height/weight, unfortunately mostly due to Dunlap disease. I chose it b/c it is thinner, but still allows switching kydex shells. I wear it at about 4:00 with the most amount of cant I could adjust for b/c, like you, I was uncomfortable with the bulge at 3:00. The barrel just barely sticks below my 1.5" belt and isn't noticeable with dark to medium colored pants. I also blouse my shirts so they hang down to the bottom of my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I have a G23 and a Comp-tac Spartan (economy version of the MTAC) and about your height/weight, unfortunately mostly due to Dunlap disease. I chose it b/c it is thinner, but still allows switching kydex shells. I wear it at about 4:00 with the most amount of cant I could adjust for b/c, like you, I was uncomfortable with the bulge at 3:00. The barrel just barely sticks below my 1.5" belt and isn't noticeable with dark to medium colored pants. I also blouse my shirts so they hang down to the bottom of my belt.
    This is a pretty common choice it seems. It's about the same thing I am going to do.

If you are really concearned about concealment, you may want to consider the G27 and just carry a couple of extra high cap mags as spares. The G27 will conceal better than the 23 - although I loved my 23.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I have purchased many holsters - mostly high end or custom holsters. Without reviewing them all, I will just give you my top two picks for IWB - and the least expensive. Go with the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe or, my 2nd choice is the Comp-Tac MTAC. Either of these will allow you to adjust the depth (how far down in the pants) the holster/gun rides. Both will allow you to adjust cant. The Crossbreed is just a tad bit more concealed and a bit more comfortable - plus a little less costly. But either should work.

VIP Member
    When I had my G-23 I used a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II with great success.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a K&D Dakota Defender on order for my G23. Should be here end of next month. I chose this holster based on the adjustability of depth and cant, tuckability, price, reputation, and recommendations of forum members here. K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links