Concealed carry help?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry help? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, a big TX Hello to everyone! I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself as a new member. The help I need ...

Thread: Concealed carry help?

Concealed carry help?

First off, a big TX Hello to everyone! I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself as a new member. The help I need is in finding the right CCW holster for me. I'm 5'11" and weigh in at 245. I usually wear shorts and T shirt, and am presently using the smart carry system for CCW. I carry a 1911A or a Charter Arms Bull Dog. The 1911A doesn't present a problem for me, but I am having trouble finding a belt slide, or pancake holster for the Bull Dog. Was wondering if any of you folks could help me out with this one. BTW the Bull Dog is DAO (no hammer). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome Carver, hard to tell by your description but if you have love handles finding a good holster will be interesting. If you have the bulge curse I would recommend the Comp-tac Minotaur (link provided below) for IWB. It's very comfy, great customer service, and conceals well. In this case the love handles actually help hide the weapon.

For OWB, if you have handles avoid pancake style holsters. By their nature they are mid to high rise, placing the gun right on top of the bulge. Even with the best of gun belts this causes the gun and holster to be torqued out at the top, printing very badly. I have a drawer full of holsters after a lot of trial and error. After a lot of searching I finally found a very good concealable OWB holster for large guys - Safariland model 6377. With the regular belt slide it rides a little lower then most belt holsters, if you want it lower you can get the belt slot with a 1" drop. It pulls in and hugs the body better then the other belt holsters out there (Blackhawk). The 6377 has active retention (level II), but they do have models without it. Check out their website they have paddle models also.

Comp-Tac : Products
    SAFARILAND® [Model 6377 ALS? Belt Holster] : Holsters, Belts, Duty Gear, & Accessories for Law Enforcement, Military, Competition, and Sporting Enthusiasts
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

First off Welcome Aboard! Secondly, hope Ike isn't messing ya up too awfuly bad.

As for CC'ing, I'd recommend reviewing how you'd want to carry. OWB, IWB, belt slide, paddle,etc., etc. Also I like any holster that has a "slid guard'.....the leather between the gun's slide and your skin......that's MUCH more comfortable if you wearjust a teeshirt to conceal in the Texas heat.

Your choices very much depend on HOW and WHERE you plan on carrying and what you feel most comfortable with. I personally have several holsters I use for diffrent applications. A quality, 'tuckable' IWB (like Comp-Tac's MTAC) for deep concealment is a must for me. I also have an OWB custom leather and a paddle that get plenty of 'wear' time as well.

Just some stuff to consider.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Welcome, Carver. This is a great board, and I think you will get all the information you could ever want from the many knowledgeable members here.

For your CA Bulldog, if you are looking for a pancake or belt slide, I would recommend you try some less-expensive holsters until you find what works, and then you can consider custom leather (or not, it is up to you). I have had better luck with Don Hume holsters and DeSantis than I have with Galco, but YMMV.

Several manufacturers make dual-slot holsters that allow you to adjust cant and carry location. As others have pointed out, if you are working on the middle-age spare tire a strong-side holster may cause the butt of the gun to print. (The Bulldog likely will not print as much as a 1911 would.) The benefit of the dual-slot holster is you could carry cross-draw which will not print as badly and is more accessible when driving or sitting.

If you are also barrel-chested to match your middle, don't completely discount shoulder holsters. I used to carry a full-size Taurus PT-99 in a Bianchi vertical shoulder holster, and it just disappeared. I'm a different build than you (6'0" at 185#), but I have had friends with your build that wore revolvers in a horizontal shoulder holster under a light shirt and they concealed well. I wear an OWB holster now for my 1911, but miss the accessibility of that Bianchi shoulder holster.

Others may say the same -- you will probably end up with a box full of holsters before you find the one that works just right for you.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    welcome and Com-tac is a great holster for IWB
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard.

welcome

welcome from s.e. michigan.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Thanks for all the quick replies and the welcomes! I already have the pancake for the .45, what I need most is something for the Bull Dog. I need the forward cant on the holster due to limited mobility in my right arm (us old folks have such issues). >grin< The Shoulder Holster would work well, except for the fact that here in East TX we only have a few weeks of really cold temps. I sure would like to find something for the belt. Holsters that I like are not made to accomidate the Bull Dog.

VIP Member
    You could try a Barami Hip-Grip. They're relatively inexpensive so if you don't like it you're only out $25. Search Results for " midayusa.com " has them in stock and I'm sure you can probably get one locally too.
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; September 13th, 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: my stupid spelling
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Carver i too have a bulldog 44 go and check out K & D holsters their defender holster list the charter arms bulldog gun to fit their holster

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

look into the IWB MTAC and IWB K&D holsters

both are great, 1 week wait for MTAC
    approx 4 months wait for K&D

I have a MTAC that I like but am thinking of ordering a K&D because I think it might be more comfortable
    What color is the sky in your world?

VIP Member
    I'm 5'11" and 230... I carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II. I love it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1! on the K&D Holsters. I have four everyone one of them is top of the line. Here is a review I did of them awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider
    I kidney carry an XD.45 compact in one of three Dakota Defender or occasionally an .380 Bersa Thunder in an K&D Holsters.

All K&D Holsters are made from premium grade leather. All three designs are well thought out for concealment, ease of carry, retention, draw and reholster. The craftsmanship is nothing short of extraordinary. Second to none IMO The boning inside as well as the outside captures even the tiniest detail of the gun. On the inside of my Bersa holster you can read the Bersa logo. While adding to the beauty of the holster its primary function is gun retention. Securely holding your gun in place no matter what you are doing. You can hold these holsters upside down and the gun will not fall out. When reholstering it feels like the gun gets sucked in and snaps into place. All of the edges are precisely cut and you can not see where the different layers of leather are bonded together. Every single stitch is straight and exactly where it should be. A proprietary finishing process allows Kevin to make extremely thin holsters that retain its shape for a life time and keeps the holster mouth open for easy reholster. The pics do not even come close to doing these holsters justice.

The Maverick Defender is and adjustable locking cant holster. Using a rotating lock designed and manufactured for K&D Holsters it allows you to lock the holster at any angle you want. I carry mine at a 43 degree cant which sets the grip right where my hand naturally falls allowing for a faster draw and extremely comfortable carry especially when I am spending alot of time in the car. I can draw while seat belted by leaning forward slightly. It can be worn IWB or OWB (between the belt and pants). Slightly thicker than a Dakota Defender I use it under an normally untucked button down flannel shirt or sweat shirt during the cooler months

Even though I prefer a 43 degree cant. I am glad I did not ask for a complete redesign of the Eagle Defender. I really like its simple elegant minimalist look. The shark skin is subtle and gives it just enough pop to separate it from a run of the mill holster. Kevin did a great job adjusting it to suit my needs. He even made the grain of shark skin follow the contours of my gun which gives it a really nice look. Eagle Defender is my dress up OWB that I wear when I open carry or under layers of clothes. As stated above the retention is excellent. Critical fro an OWB IMO. It holds my XD close to my body the grip pressed snugly against me. It made me realize that I need a nice BBQ gun for OC

The Dakota Defender is my deep concealment holster. As I said above this too is an exceptionally well made holster It has wider wings than most other IWB holsters of this style which distribute the weight so well you barley feel your gun at all. It also seems to make the gun feel more stable on draw and reholster. The clips allow you to set how deep you want to carry as well as set the cant. Once you find that sweet spot the gun virtually disappears from your conscious awareness and as well as visually. I have no problem concealing wearing a light T-Shirt and shorts even under a loose tank top. When you do remember the gun the suede leather backing makes it feel great against the skin

Hope the pics look OK I have been having trouble with my monitor so let me know if they look screwy

Bersa Dakota Defender

XD.45 Dakota Defender

XD.45 Eagle Defender

My K&D Family
    Hope that helps. You will NOT be disappointed if you go with K&D Holsters
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links