My first real holster . . . NOW I get it!

This is a discussion on My first real holster . . . NOW I get it! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And THAT'S why there are so many holsters to choose from! Congratulations on your new rig....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first real holster . . . NOW I get it!

VIP Member
    And THAT'S why there are so many holsters to choose from!

Congratulations on your new rig.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I've had a Safariland 518 paddle for my Commander for years. It's comfortable, rides high, and keeps the gun pretty tight. IMO it's built better than a Fobus (it's duty quality) and isn't terribly expensive either -- about $60. Although I've used it for concealed carry, I prefer an IWB for that so now I typically only wear it when quick on/off is needed, for open carry, while at the range (unless I'm practicing SD drawing), etc. For concealment I'm currently using an MTAC.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    Well, I'll tell you that my Fobus does stick out quite a bit. Then again, my gun is pretty bulky. The two combined are almost certain to print if everything isn't just so. Neither is perfectly suited for CC, but time, experience, and some saved-up cash should rectify those issues in the future.
    I have to say, after trying a Fobus my thought is that it's a nice cheap stand-in until you can get your "good" holster. But there are folks who like them and if you're not worried about CC they make a good field holster.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Like some of the others, the paddle style sticks out a bit to far for me. But I have an Uncle Mike's that was my first holster and is now used at the farm to keep my leather Galco "pretty".

Congrats on the new holster. Stay safe.
    Mykel

more later...

I hate to sound negative and I'm glad you like your new holster, but you don't quite get it yet. I had one of those so I understand it's better then a one size fit all holster. I will say that Leather from the top makers can be as addictive as firearms. Enjoy your new holster!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Glad you love that Fobus...enjoy!

As was said earlier, you've got a lot of room to expand your horizons upward...the likes of Milt Sparks and on up to the guru, Matt Del Fatti.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have one that I use for my Beretta Vertec at IPSC matches. Performs well and the price was right. Should serve you well as mine is about 2 years old and still holding up after a buttload of drawing and reholstering. For serious carry I prefer leather.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

how do you guys conceal those fobus holsters ? i could never understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    . . . glad you like your new holster, but you don't quite get it yet.
    THAT is something I'm willing to admit. Consider it said that I get it better than I got it before.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I wear a standard Fobus paddle under an untucked shirt. It is not a problem to conceal. Of course, under a coat no holster is really a problem.
    I almost never go IWB, and while no paddle is as tight against the body as a pancake, the Fobus is satisfactory.

Regards,
    Jerry

I use my Fobus holster for my G17 and G22 under a jacket or sweatshirt in the winter-time or cold months. It actually conceals very well this way....maybe for my body type, or my choice of jackets. It's very comfortable and concealable this way for me. This is one good reason why I'm an avid supporter of the current petition for open carry in my state. I'd like to wear my rig into a restaurant, and take off my coat/jacket when I get too warm and sit down to the table.....then get up and go back to the buffet with Mr. Glock in plain sight!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    For me, I used to wear it mostly when riding my motorcycle. I'd wear a (biker type) leather vest over it. No problem (again, body type may be a factor).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I won't lie, I've got a couple Fobus holsters. Never use them for carry but they are comfortable and definitely worth the money.

When you get a nice leather or higher end kydex you will go "NOW I see why everyone said that about Fobus!" Ahh, vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I will warn you of this. It is just a start. You will be buying more holsters, I can promise you that. I have paddles, in waistband, outside waistband, leather, kydex, ballistic nylon, and I use them all at times. It is kind of like pants, we don't all just have one type of pants do we? We have different ones for different events. Holsters are no different. The more guns you have and the more you carry, the more holsters you will end up with.
    A couple of weeks ago I attened a wedding to which I wore a suit and strapped my Glock 26 into a nylon ankle holster. Yes, I know about ankle holsters (but I am only 38 and can still reach my ankles). I knew I was not going to be dancing and spent alot of time in the sitting position. With so with so many diffrent ways and styles and types you have to figure the best way for what works for you.

Administrator
    I think the Fobus holsters are fine for the range or the field and absolutely great as a waterproof holster for a camping trip in the woods but, my personal opinion is that you can do a whole heckova lot better for serious concealment.

I guess I am probably one of the biggest Internet slammers of Fobus and Uncle Mikes for daily concealed carry.
    I probably should keep quiet...but, I can't seem to.
    My personal opinion is that they are just awful for concealed carry.
    Yes, they DO make a really nice and neat sound when you pop your firearm back into the holster but, that is all I can really say is cool about them for concealment.
    They are OK I guess in Winter under a heavy coat or peachy-keen if you want to walk around everywhere sporting one underneath a photographers "shoot me first" vest.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links