My first real holster . . . NOW I get it!

This is a discussion on My first real holster . . . NOW I get it! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought my first real holster a few months ago. Didn't buy anything too fancy, just a Fobus paddle. But it rides well on my belt, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bought my first real holster a few months ago. Didn't buy anything too fancy, just a Fobus paddle. But it rides well on my belt, is actually quite comfortable, and most importantly it holds my gun securely and covers the trigger.

NOW I understand why a decent holster is so important! All I had before was a cheap fabric thing that was given to me by a friend. Didn't fit my gun very well and was a bit clunky to put on. Poor gun retention--even with the snap strap--as well as no trigger cover.

But with that Fobus the gun almost snaps into place. No, it actually DOES snap into place with an audible sound. The gun rides securely and firmly until I draw it out. I could run around and jump up and down at my gun would still stay there.

And as it covers the trigger, there's no worries when I put it in or take it out of my gun safe about an AD. Aha! There's that "a good holster is like another safety" thing I've heard on here!

Yup . . . another fine thing I've learned from hanging out here with you guys. Thanks, all!

Good for you on your new holster. I have a Fobus paddle for my full size Glocks, and I think I'll be getting one for my P220 as well. I do have other holsters (leather and kydex), and I'd like to soften the blow for you in upcoming replies. An awful lot of folks here won't consider a Fobus a 'real' holster. If it carries the pistol safely, and works well for you...then things are good. That's the way I see it anyway.

Yep, Ram Rod hit it on the head as to what follows. The video of a guy breaking a Fobus paddle holster and taking a gun from a guy will be following shortly.

But hey, if it fits the gun and it wears and conceals well it is doing its job. I have a couple of paddle holsters, one is a Fobus, not sure about the other, and I am not leaving the patio to go look at the moment. I use them when I just need to go out to the store quick and the like. They work, not my first preference, but I did buy them and use them at times.

I will warn you of this. It is just a start. You will be buying more holsters, I can promise you that. I have paddles, in waistband, outside waistband, leather, kydex, ballistic nylon, and I use them all at times. It is kind of like pants, we don't all just have one type of pants do we? We have different ones for different events. Holsters are no different. The more guns you have and the more you carry, the more holsters you will end up with.

Glad you found something you like.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Congratulation!!!

A nice holster one that makes you happy is always a nice find..

Now lets get you a into good belt

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have some leather holsters by the best. I also have Comp-Tac paddle holsters.

I have used Fobus paddles for at least 10 years, and use them at the range, and sometimes for cc.
    As far as I am concerned the video of a guy breaking a Fobus off is nonsense. It assumes you just stand there while a man runs up to you and breaks the holster off. What would you be doing if it were your holster and gun??

In addition concealed means concealed. How would someone know you were carrying and where?

In time you will likely buy some real quality leather holsters, but the Fobus will still be useful, at least I find it so.

Good choice.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Wasn't that video older and Fobus has since updated the quality control from what I've read?
    I do not own any but am quite sure that it has been rectified by Fobus.
    Either way I am sure it will serve you well!

Well if you like it, that's all that really matters, but I see other holsters in your future.

Enjoy your new holster...

Get a box...

Stay armed...use a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you like your Fobus, you have great things in your holster future!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Enjoy your new holster...

Get a box...

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Echoing what others said. And I have several Fobus paddles for Glock's. They're cheap, they work and are comfortable. Not the greatest at concealment, but do-able. And I also see more holsters in your future. As retsupt99 said, get a box (or set aside a drawer).

I will say I don't use them much anymore. But I also don't carry the Glock's much any more since going back to the 1911 platform for my main carry. And I've got a Crossbreed for the Glock's.

The most important thing is, you've now seen the benefits of a properly fit holster. No turning back now.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    As far as I am concerned the video of a guy breaking a Fobus off is nonsense. It assumes you just stand there while a man runs up to you and breaks the holster off. What would you be doing if it were your holster and gun??

In addition concealed means concealed. How would someone know you were carrying and where?
    My sentiments exactly!
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Lead Moderator
    I always thought the Fobus paddle's biggest problem is that it doesn't hold close enough to the body, especially the "roto" model (if they still make that).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I always thought the Fobus paddle's biggest problem is that it doesn't hold close enough to the body, especially the "roto" model (if they still make that).
    Although I never used a roto model, it seemed to have the most complaints. I have found the regular paddle stays close enough to the body to work pretty well. Of course no paddle will be as tight as a good pancake, but neither will other designs such as the Askins.

Regards,
    Jerry

Well, I'll tell you that my Fobus does stick out quite a bit. Then again, my gun is pretty bulky. The two combined are almost certain to print if everything isn't just so. Neither is perfectly suited for CC, but time, experience, and some saved-up cash should rectify those issues in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links