Which shoulder holster ?

This is a discussion on Which shoulder holster ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a shoulder holster,but I'm a small guy,only 5ft5 and about 150 lbs.Can one be concealed under a larger shirt ot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shoulder holster ?

Which shoulder holster ?

I am thinking about getting a shoulder holster,but I'm a small guy,only 5ft5 and about 150 lbs.Can one be concealed under a larger shirt ot do you have to wear a jacket?Which one would be the best for carrying a glock g-19?I think I would prefer a horizontal carry.are there any that are less bulky that would conceal easier?thanks guys.sj

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I like the Miami Classic from Galco. Enough that I have 3. You also may want to check out the Monarch from Andrews Custom Leather, and Lou Alessi's shoulder holster. Never seen either in person, but I've read a lot of good things about both.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Concealing a full size pistol in a shoulder holster isn't as easy as one would think, especially for smaller people. Yes they do print, both under your arm and on your shoulders. Your wardrobe becomes critical. Concealing under a shirt would be possible if the shirt is of thicker material like flannel or chamois, etc. I've used a DeSantis for a Beretta and the Galco Miami Classic for a Sig. One piece of advice I'll offer is this: quality counts in a shoulder holster... buy a good one if you intend to use it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Lou Alessi's shoulder holster
    ...is the best, from what I've seen. They're hard to get, though. I have one for my G17, and it's the only brand I would use anymore.

People say good things about the Andrews rig, though I've never seen one in person.

Administrator
    Alessi is the best IMO, but buy any one... it doesnt matter cause it will end up in a box shoved in the corner of your closet. I know a lot of gun toters, and none of them carry in a shoulder holster. A lot tried (growing up watching Miami Vice I guess) but none stuck with it for any length of time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Alessi is the best IMO, but buy any one... it doesnt matter cause it will end up in a box shoved in the corner of your closet. I know a lot of gun toters, and none of them carry in a shoulder holster. A lot tried (growing up watching Miami Vice I guess) but none stuck with it for any length of time.
    This is actually true.

Still, I prefer that the shoulder holster resting, inert and unworn, in the box in MY closet be comfortable and drape well.

I have bought several - all in closet!!!!

I have used a Miami Classic for years, the only time I am not wearing it is when sleeping. It's what works best for me.

You must look at the Sam Andrews Monarch Rig:

Andrews Custom Leather

Superb workmanship, true artistry. My wife carries a G26 in the standard Monarch, and her special order Monarch is due any day. Sam is a Prince of a fellow, and more than happy to talk if you'll call.

Andrews Custom Leather

She conceals successfully under light weight blouses, and has similar body proportions arranged a wee bit differently.

She choose the Monarch because she never wears belts, and refused off-body carry. You cannot lose with Sam, and if you stay with a stock arrangement, you can have it quickly rather than a multi-month or year wait.

Alessi +1

I find that I use the shoulder holster a good bit in the winter, under sweatshirts and jackets. I currently have a PM9, so I use the Galco Classic Lite. I used to carry a TZ-75 in an Uncle Mike's with no problem or printing under a jacket, but I'm 6'2" and 200#s.

If you're going to carry a full size on your frame, you might look at a vertical carry, as it will print less. Or...buy bigger clothes or a smaller gun (say a G26).

Shoulder holsters have their use beyond the closet. But the reason we all have a drawer full of holsters is that there are different circumstances, and different needs for carry. No one holster is going to fit the bill. I know I have my IWB, IWB-tuckable, a couple different pocket holsters, an OWB or two (belt, paddle, etc.), a sholuder holster, etc. -- and they all have their place depending upon the clothes I'm wearing, the occasion, who I'm with, where I'm going, need to easily remove the pistol and any number of other factors.

I've had a 1911 model Galco Miami Classic since 1988. I didn't buy it -- I was selling a gun, an Auto Ordinance 1911 if I recall, to a gun store (was getting married and needed some cash quick) and I wasn't terribly happy with how much they were offering. I saw the holster on the rack next to the register, remembered it being the holster Don Johnson used in Miami Vice and seeing how it was priced at around $100 even back then I half-jokingly suggested they throw it in. They did.

I've worn it a few times and it is quite comfortable once you take the time to get it adjusted properly. I'm a big guy so I don't have much problem concealing it, but I do feel like it is more prone to flashing than a good IWB with a cover garment, unless you keep the cover garment buttoned up at all times. I hardly use it anymore, especially now that I've switched to IWB, and it just hangs there on my belt/necktie rack in the closet.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

I've been pleased with the value of the Aker Flatsider, bought here at Gall's: Aker® Flatsider XR7 Shoulder Rig - LP305 : Galls
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Jimmy,I just sent you a pm.What is the cheapest place online to buy one?thanks. sj

I bought mine at Gall's, the link in my earlier post. There may be a cheaper source, but I'm not up to date on that now. Google the product name and see what comes up.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links