Bianchi 55L J-Frame Holster

This is a discussion on Bianchi 55L J-Frame Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 36 with a bobbed hammer. I typically carry it in a Don Hume open top IWB holster, but I would like ...

Thread: Bianchi 55L J-Frame Holster

Bianchi 55L J-Frame Holster

I have a S&W 36 with a bobbed hammer. I typically carry it in a Don Hume open top IWB holster, but I would like to get an OWB, also. I can get a Bianchi 55L from MidwayUSA for about $55. It has a retention strap that holds the revolver behind the trigger guard instead of around the hammer spur. I bought a used Ross holster similar to this at a gun show for $10, but the design of its belt loops didn't hold the butt of the gun close to the body (even with a good, double-thickness gunbelt), so it's worthless for concealment. Has anyone used the 55L? If so, do the belt loops hold it close to the body?

2. Remove Ads

The 55L has a single belt loop about as wide as the holster itself, sewn at the top and bottom (not folded over on top). It's the same design that Bianchi uses for a lot of their holsters. I have not used this particular holster -- but I was holding one 5 minutes ago looking at it. Having said that, it's been my experience that in order to get the butt of the gun in close with an OWB holster, the holster really needs another belt loop behind the gun, so that it pulls the butt in toward the body. An example is the Milt Sparks PMK.
    Another type is where there is no loop directly in back of the gun. Instead, there's one in front and one behind -- kind of like a belt slide holster. K L Null holsters has a model GSS which is this style.
    This is all assuming 3:30 or 4:00 carry. If appendix carry, Lou Alessi's APX is it, from many, many recommendations.

Edited to clarify "in back of the gun" re the Null holster.

Links