Motorcycle CCW

This is a discussion on Motorcycle CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JungleJim My main carry is a Glock 23 OWB, when I'm traveling 'light' I pocket carry a S&W .38 but haven't done ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle CCW

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    My main carry is a Glock 23 OWB, when I'm traveling 'light' I pocket carry a S&W .38 but haven't done so on the bike for fear of the wind flashing the Glock to passer by's.
    During the cooler months my G22 seems to conceal pretty well OWB under a 3/4 Fieldsheer Adventure jacket. In the warmer months I end up switching to the S&W .38 in a pocket (in the holster though - one that prevents the hammer from moving until I want it to move). Slows down the draw, but as someone else mentioned, it may be wiser to build some distance first (ride away).

A G27 will become the main CC sometime next month.

One thing to keep in mind when you carry on 2 wheels is what happens if you go down... Ouch!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    First of all...GO GATORS! Great game against Tennessee, wasn't it?!?

Secondly, one of my bikes is a CBR1000RR, and I wear a full set of Alpinestars. As mentioned above, I carry my XD-45 Service using an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. When leaned over riding it is comfortable, and when I get off the bike it's not that bad. Plus I prefer it being on my person versus in a tank bag (which I don't have on my CBR, but do on my other bike).

Plus, the biggest benefit of a vertical shoulder rig is that the gun is quickly accessible! Even with gloves on, I can unzip the jacket and draw the gun fairly well. Of course I would first try and get away from the threat; but if that's not possible I know I can use my weapon to defend myself.

Cheers! M2

ah, im not really big into football, its from a song.

but as far as the bike, what about when you take your jacket off? i have a joe rocket leather and a textile, but i ALWAYS remove my jacket unless doing a very quick pitstop.

I use a Mernickle PS6 for my 1911. It rides high and conceals easily. If it's real hot, and I'm not sporting a jacket I pocket my P32 (not too often). The mesh jackets with kevlar inserts are great and as long as your moving they breathe well. Vests were mentioned as well.

There are many things you can do, since there are so many great products on the market.

I use a safepacker. I am known to put a few miles on my bike on a daily basis. If you go down the safepacker can help protect you as well as the gun. It is comfortable and no one knows what I have in it.
    Old Paratrooper
    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una
    (Fortune or Misfortune is all the same to a man of stout heart)

I just use my normal rig, Kimber Pro Raptor in a Brommeland MaxCon V IWB holster. I ride a V Star so I'm not leaned over like on a sports bike but this works for me.
    Thanks,
    Rock

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    First of all...GO GATORS! Great game against Tennessee, wasn't it?!?

Secondly, one of my bikes is a CBR1000RR, and I wear a full set of Alpinestars. As mentioned above, I carry my XD-45 Service using an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. When leaned over riding it is comfortable, and when I get off the bike it's not that bad. Plus I prefer it being on my person versus in a tank bag (which I don't have on my CBR, but do on my other bike).

Plus, the biggest benefit of a vertical shoulder rig is that the gun is quickly accessible! Even with gloves on, I can unzip the jacket and draw the gun fairly well. Of course I would first try and get away from the threat; but if that's not possible I know I can use my weapon to defend myself.

Cheers! M2
    Well, you have to give TN credit for showing up...we should also thank the refs for giving TN some points...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Why not just wear a tuckable holster and tuck in your shirts? The wind wont blow them open so you stay concealed. Just a thought. YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

i carried my sig in a galco fanny pack when i had my sportbike. now with my cruiser i use a milt sparks summer special IWB hides it well

I started riding again after a long break and I have a coronado leather pack with the holster built in and it works really well here in the heat especially when fanny packs are so common no one really thinks about it. It will fit anything up to a full size 1911. Found mine in a local gunshop marked 50% off. I thought is was a good deal. It is made out of bison and is really tough but soft/comfortable to wear.

coronadoleather.com

Steve

When I ride I use my normal holster and belt. It is a Kirkpatrick Texas Strong Side. I carry a Para Ordinance P13. Just leave your shirt untucked. You do wear XL t shirts don't you? Nobody pays attention any way. Bikers always have crap on their belts. Backup rides in the saddle bag. Wife also packs.

Semper Fi

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies, some good choices to try out. I'll check out some of the options and see which works best.

Safe riding

over sized shirt, leather vest or jacket. I go with a IWB daily on 2 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Just leave your shirt untucked. You do wear XL t shirts don't you? Nobody pays attention any way
    Semper Fi
    That is my normal carry, I wear a 'breathable' exercise type tank top to keep the firearm from direct skin contact and a large untucked shirt over it. I was just concerned about the wind lifting it and giving everyone a free show. You have't found that to be a problem? I may have to give that a try when my wife is on the back, that way she can let me know.

I have found that my shoulder rig (Falco Shoulder Holster) with a G22 or G27 works best when riding. YMMV, of course.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

You may want something with a bit of retention...

I was carrying a colt commander in a sparks vmII under a tshirt while riding my sportbike (buell xb12) and wrecked about two months ago (was going a little fast, hit some gravel, don't really remember). Anyways, long story short, when I woke up I didn't know where I was. Some people stopped to see if I was alright and called the ambulance. It was about that time I noticed my pistol wasn't in the holster. I just about had a heartattack. It was in the ditch about 10 yards back. I pretty much trashed the holster (smashed the steel reinforced mouth in, the loops are all scraped up) and the pistol needs some work. Luckily I only ended up with some nasty roadrash and a broken scapula (was wearing a helmet).

When I get back on the bike I'll reconsider an open-top holster without a thumbreak. I know noone thinks about wrecking when they go out to ride...but it might be worth considering.

ymmv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links