5" 1911 iwb

5" 1911 iwb

This is a discussion on 5" 1911 iwb within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my Mil-Spec is at the 'smith getting a complete overhaul to make it into a MEU clone (see pic). Right now I have a ...

Thread: 5" 1911 iwb

5" 1911 iwb

Well, my Mil-Spec is at the 'smith getting a complete overhaul to make it into a MEU clone (see pic). Right now I have a TT holster (like the VMII) for my 4" 1911 and I also have a Crossbreed. I don't really like the crossbreed, I'd like more coverage. For the 5" I'd like a new holster. I can't decide whether I want a MTAC or another TT. Does anybody have BOTH a MTAC and a VMII for a 5" 1911 to compare?
    Attached Images
    -Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Well, I have a 3" 1911 and both holsters? I can atleast speak semi-intelligently.

The MTAC and the VM2 carry very similar. They both have similar comfort except the MTAC seems more comfortable and carries lighter on the hip. The MTAC is also faster to draw. I have seen no discernable wear difference between leather and kydex.

The VM2 is definitely of higher quality and will surely last a lifetime. I have found that when I holster my loaded 1911, it's so tight that I'm afraid it moves the slide out of battery (which is not a good thing for a daily carry) but it may just not be completely broken in yet. I check this all the time.

The VM2 is certainly a good holster, however, it just isnt as comfortable as the MTAC for me. YMMV

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I was afraid that the MTAC was just too much stuff in my pants. The Crossbreed seems a bit bulky, not fat just it covers a large arc segment of my waist. Sorry, the engineer in me is showing.
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    The Crossbreed seems a bit bulky, not fat just it covers a large arc segment of my waist. Sorry, the engineer in me is showing.
    Allow me to help satisfy the engineer in you ... I just measured the centerline distance from clip to clip on the MTAC and its right at 7". My VM2 measures 6-3/4" center loop to center loop. Close enough to be the same for me.

I dont know what the crossbreed measures but you say you have one.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I've owned a TT and used it with my 4 1/4" 1911 and it worked very well so I'd vote for the TT.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Try the Mtac and if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it. I don't carry a 1911, but love the Mtac with my Glocks.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have at TT for my SA Champion and it is a great holster. For the 5" I would highly recommend a HBE COM III. I had one for my full size SA and sold it when I swapped over to the Champion as a carry gun. The tail design really does a great job of spreading the pressure of the pistol so you have no hot spots as you do on some holsters and also keeps it firmly in place. Have no experience with the Mtac but the HBE was more comfortable over the VM-II I also had for the full size 1911. Now packing a BHP in a COM III and love it. It just seems more comfortable to me when I'm carrying the longer barreled guns. JMO

COM III & BHP

COM III & SA Mil-Spec
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; September 23rd, 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

If you don't mind look into Andrews Leather, the McDaniel II is another excellent holster for the 5" 1911. His work is awsome, to say the least.

+1 on Andrews Mc II being a fine holster, but I think the Mtac is a bit more stable with its two anchor points.

Slightly off-topic, but I carry a 5" 1911 IWB in a Side Guard Holster's Doubleclip.

They're of excellent quality for the price (around $50 depending on options), very comparable to a friend's Galco rig.
    Erik (who makes them) is a member of the forum here, too. MNburl I think. He was a pleasure to do business with and I have no problem at all recommending his holsters

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    for a full size I'd recommend an HBE Com3. A little less expensive is the AJ Concealco. I think it would be an excellent choice for a full size 1911. It's very thin, allows for one hand reholstering and because of the way the front strap is connected, I think it gives you a real close fit to the body. I have two and love them but I also have the Com3 and think it's probably the best all round holster for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    ... I holster my loaded 1911, it's so tight that I'm afraid it moves the slide out of battery (which is not a good thing for a daily carry) but it may just not be completely broken in yet.

_
    I'm sorry for barging in with a hyjack, BUT...Safety issues should take priority, right?

Rcher,
    Why in the world are you holstering a loaded 1911 without the thumb safety on?
    Seems to me that unless your gun is dangerously neglected, the thumb safety will absolutely prevent that, and you should absolutely be using it... so that condition should absolutely never happen.

What am I missing?

Heisenberg may have slept here

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I'm sorry for barging in with a hyjack, BUT...Safety issues should take priority, right?

Rcher,
    Why in the world are you holstering a loaded 1911 without the thumb safety on?
    Seems to me that unless your gun is dangerously neglected, the thumb safety will absolutely prevent that, and you should absolutely be using it... so that condition should absolutely never happen.

What am I missing?

Fozzy,

Your not missing anything, I guess I didnt explain quite as well as I should have and your exactly correct in your statement.

What I really *should* have said is my VM2 is so tight that when I holster my 1911, I can feel a slight movement in the slide while seating the pistol. Obviously, the thumb safety will prevent the slide from coming out of complete battery. If I holster my "unloaded" 1911 with the safety off, the slide will move out of battery. My VM2 is fairly new and stiff. Rest assured, my safety is always "on safe" while loaded and is checked several times each day while carrying.

That was a good catch, your very observant. I'm glad you made me clarify my post. I have taught firearm safety since 1982 and know better than to not completely explain myself better regarding a safety issue, my bad.

I like that you were on your toes and your exactly right, safety is the most important responsibility of a gun owner.

Thanks again for making me clarify.

_
    Last edited by Rcher; September 25th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.

Of my holsters, I would recommend a Double Clip/Snap model for a full size 1911.

Here is a pic.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links