The New Speed Rig

The New Speed Rig

This is a discussion on The New Speed Rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had John O'Rourke of J.W. O'Rourke Leather Products -- Holsters, belts build me a custom street speed rig for the G17 which I've been ...

Thread: The New Speed Rig

Sponsor

The New Speed Rig

I had John O'Rourke of J.W. O'Rourke Leather Products -- Holsters, belts build me a custom street speed rig for the G17 which I've been wearing at the gun shop three days a week and using in the Tuesday night steel shoots during the same time.

I ordered this one exactly to my specifications and the way I wanted it. Straight drop for use with Elbow Up/Elbow Down [ EU/ED or FAS 1/2 hip ]. The back strap of the G17 sits level with the top of the belt so it's not a high ride or low rider but neutral there as well.

When I got the belt/holster/mag pouch I took it out to the closest remote area of the Superstition mountains and timed a few draw strokes without any practice on it. The first two draws to first COM shot were .46 and .44 seconds. That gave me a base as to how fast this rig might be in the future with some practice. I've done a .43 with a kydex belt holster after a few tries in the past so I wanted to see the difference right away. It showed a lot of promise at breaking the .40 barrier and getting into the 3's. I liked it.

I've been wearing this for a month now, shooting the matches with it for the last three weeks as reported with results elsewhere on the forum, as well as practicing the draw stroke from the rig and late this morning I put the timer on it again. Got some low to mid 4's and then after several of those, I stepped the pace up, went for broke and got into a .38 and .37 second draw stroke to good COM hits from 8 feet. I just don't know how much faster I can get at my advanced age but it sure would have been nice to time this one when I was 25

The belt is 2 3/8" wide, skinnying down in the front to let you bend over at the waist with no binding and seat yourself comfortably in chairs, the truck, etc It's comfortable as all get out, distributing the weight of the gun and double mag holder on the opposite side so you don't know you are wearing a gun. I usually wear an untucked large T shirt over a T shirt in the heat with this belt/holster rig. I tuck the T behind the holster and gun and leave it untucked over the mag pouch.

I had a custom drop leg with tie down made for a K frame model 13 4" back in 1972 that I used to play with all the time on fast draw from the hip. Still have that rig stored away but it's not been used now for over 20 now. Guess I've been using EU/ED for at least that long which would make it 36 years.

This new rig John O'Rourke made me is being used and used a lot out here several times a week. Open carry is allowed and more importantly accepted about everywhere without all the nonsense about scaring people around you. I like this rig, it's comfortable, quick, and puts the gun at the optimum height for the skills I've come to use. No retention strap, but it's boned enough to hold the gun if I run or jump up and down. Situational awareness is mandatory with this holster, but working the shop I'm pretty much a closed environ and not out on the streets with it all the time in public in crowded scenarios.

Thought the members would like some photos of this so without further adoo, here ya go-----------------let me know what you think.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor

More pictures

Here's some close ups. Never mind about the gut jokes, it's there and likely to stay there

Thanks, a huge thanks to John O'Rourke for the superb effort in the execution of this rig. It was labor intensive and the holster you see as the final product took 16-17 attempts to get it just the way I wanted it. The man knows how to make holsters obviously. When I'm not wearing this one, I wear his pancake holsters with every street gun I carry.

Brownie
    Attached Images

Very nice setup. Modern day 'old west', yet not a bit tacky and craftsmanship looks amazing!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Lead Moderator
    Looks good. Is the rear of the holster open all the way down? If so , why for ease of drawing?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It looks like you landed a fine speed rig.
    God, country, family.

Senior Moderator
    Nice looking rig
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sponsor
    Rocky, the holster allows the back of the trigger guard to nestle into the holster about 75%., then opens.

Appreciate your thoughts folks.

Brownie

Administrator
    Nice holster pal. Real nice. Looks like a very fast piece of leather.
    He did a super nice job crafting that for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    Thanks QK,

I really like this guys workmanship and the price was right, even though I had the money allocated

I ordered 9 more of his holsters for sale at the shop right then with the money that was allocated for the rig and still had enough left over to buy some more ammo for myself.

Brownie

Sponsored Links