trying OWB

trying OWB

This is a discussion on trying OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a left-hand CompTac C-Tac IWB for my normal carry, the G21. I recently acquired a G27 and thought over holster choices for it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying OWB

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

trying OWB

I have a left-hand CompTac C-Tac IWB for my normal carry, the G21.

I recently acquired a G27 and thought over holster choices for it. OWB has many fans, notably our own colleague P95Carry, so I thought I would try it.

I just received a right-hand CompTac "settable cant" OWB for the new G27. One can use different holes in the belt piece (or paddle, but I didn't get that option) to either achieve zero degrees of cant, or 17 degrees muzzle forward for cross-draw, or 17 degrees muzzle to the rear. Two sets of holes so you can mount it a little higher or a little lower. Same tension adjustment screws and rubber bushings as the C-Tac.

I have worn it for a couple of days using the standard rear-muzzle cant configuration and it seems to be OK. I concur that OWB is much more physically comfortable than IWB.

I was surprised at the huge concealability difference between the IWB and the O. Feels like it sticks out a mile... I can conceal the big fat G21 easily under a T-shirt with the IWB, but the OWB G27 will print through any shirt and almost requires another layer like a vest.
    Last edited by Anubis; December 17th, 2005 at 03:14 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Feels like it sticks out a mile...
    Anubis - well yes - the impression certainly is that the gun ''is out there'' - tho to be honest I think part of that is just the impression we get. True if masked by pants per IWB then everything conforms more to general dress contours.

Having OWB'd so long and exclusively (apart from just trying IWB early on) - I do find that cover does need to have some degree of ''voluminosity'' - that tho I think depends on individual build and the actual clothing. In my case that requirement is really quite modest - right now it's a cinch as I may have on a large padded shirt, open at front.

Even summer tho - very light weight shirt, again open - and also my Smith and Alexander vest - used a lot for biking.

I guess I am a bit ''enthusiastic'' re my OWB liking and still accept how good IWB is for many - but honestly feel that OWB is still very viable, as well as more comfortable (IMO). My Defender rig (as I think pics have shown when I posted them), holds really tight in - gun butt is touching my lower ribs and the ''swell'' from rest of gun is very small, to me anyways.

Some friends (now close friends) were staggered to learn, after much biking and general time together, that I carried, and a full size at that! It has to be working. They are now carry converts too!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I love the one I have for my G27 but I feel like people are staring at me!! I use it mainly when I have thick covering (sweaters/coats,etc) but its so comfortable!!

Lead Moderator
    yep, this is why I OWB in colder weather (more layers), IWB (t shirt) in summer or hot weather.

I always carry OWB. Mainly a Glock 20 10mm in a Milt Sparks. My 1911's I carry in a Tucker HF1 I just received.

In the summer I wear a Tank top untucked. No one has ever gave me a second look. I go to the grocery store or where ever. It is more of a challenge keeping someone from bumping into your gun at the checkout, than anyone noticing.
    Montana Big Sky Country

Most of the time I wear a square tail shirt outside my pants. It covers the gun well, and no one ever gives a second look, even my friends who are gun nuts too. My wife does not see it when I ask her if she notices it. Unless the gun is printing very much, there is no reason for anyone to start looking.

I do find that a pancake is the best as it holds the gun very tight against the body. Some holsters tend to let the grip go our from the body. Some of the worst are high ride paddles. The Fobus does not suffer from that, but the Galco, and Uncle Mikes do.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I have a left-hand CompTac C-Tac IWB for my normal carry, the G21.

I recently acquired a G27 and thought over holster choices for it. OWB has many fans, notably our own colleague P95Carry, so I thought I would try it.

I just received a right-hand CompTac "settable cant" OWB for the new G27. One can use different holes in the belt piece (or paddle, but I didn't get that option) to either achieve zero degrees of cant, or 17 degrees muzzle forward for cross-draw, or 17 degrees muzzle to the rear. Two sets of holes so you can mount it a little higher or a little lower. Same tension adjustment screws and rubber bushings as the C-Tac.

I have worn it for a couple of days using the standard rear-muzzle cant configuration and it seems to be OK. I concur that OWB is much more physically comfortable than IWB.

I was surprised at the huge concealability difference between the IWB and the O. Feels like it sticks out a mile... I can conceal the big fat G21 easily under a T-shirt with the IWB, but the OWB G27 will print through any shirt and almost requires another layer like a vest.
    The fact that you carry a M21 Glock IWB gives me hope that I can do the same with my new standard sized USP. For years I carried my M21 OWB in a Sam Andrews IPSC Saddle holster.

Go take a look at it. http://www.andrewsleather.com/ This is one of the most comfortable and FAST rigs I've ever had. I have two of them. However, I was thinking of getting Sam's IWB the McDaniel II.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Chris how about some pics packing with OWB covered and uncovered i just cant see how they hide that well with a big gun ..

Like the Sig .. and what holsters your using i would go OWB if it didnt feel like it was out 12 miles from my side

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - well I have no pics of concealed to hand - will try and take some soon.

For now tho - and I think you saw these pics - got my wife to take some pics late one day a few weeks back from angles - shows at least how tight Kevin's Eagle Defender holds to me. In fact just imagine a loose (quite long) shirt unbuttoned over this - takes a heck of a lot to get any printing.

I'll endevor to shoot some pics - of under shirt and under that vest I talk about. Gimme a day or two. BTW - this belt is an old one - and not done up as tight as usual when out - noticed it has some droop but - hardly a problem. New belt is in use now.

Chris - P95

How many sizes extra is your over shirt?

Chris, I've been trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with those pics. There's something missing. Then I remembered: About thirty extra pounds right where the grip is resting!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - shirt size? Well - if I had nothing to hide (and if arm length adequate - I have ape-length arms (sorry Bruce Haha!)) I guess then Large would about do. But my choice usually is for XL or XXL depending on brand. Makes for extra length, extra girth and, if lucky arms are long enough! Let's say one to two sizes over ''normal''

Ex - hahahah - oh yeah - well I have some small ''handles'' but not a lot - there is also some ''luxury real estate'' out front but again - not too severe (wife ain't complaining ) - 6'.00'' and 210 is not too bad I suppose for a geriatric ol' phart!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Chris, good pictures. That Defender OWB does appear to fit as close as my C-Tac IWB.

hum yeah im in same boat as Ex i would need a 4x then to try to go owb in summer and fall guess ill stick IWB

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - time to shed some #'s dude!!!
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links