MTAC vs Crossbreed - Page 3

MTAC vs Crossbreed

This is a discussion on MTAC vs Crossbreed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It isn't which product is better built, they are both proven holsters. Which fits your personal preference and body is a more logical argument here. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It isn't which product is better built, they are both proven holsters. Which fits your personal preference and body is a more logical argument here.

I haven't gotten to try the crossbreed yet though, sooner or later I will get around to it.

What is this with crossbreeds having some sort of metal touching you? I have really never felt the metal on mine.
    I might be a bit biased on it but my friend owns a Mtac and when i compair the two I beleive the supertuck offers more concealment between the two as it pulls it in more.
    Thats my own opinion.
    Other than that i am very satisfied with my Crossbreed, When i do pick up another handgun i will be purchasing another supertuck.

Thumbs up

I was also on the fence about weather or not to get the CrossBreed. I don't have a 'box-o'-holsters' and don't want one. I'm just trying to settle on that one solution that will work for me in the most situations (yes, I'm aware that there is no one solution that will work in all applications).

I got the CrossBreed SuperTuck Delux a week ago and tried every setting and hip position. Just couldn't get it to where it felt "right". Even when I thought I had found a spot that had potential, it never failed that one of the clips was lined up over a belt-loop and I couldn't settle it right.

Granted, with use and some time to break-in it might have felt better, but I wanted to return it before the two week trial period was up. Called mark at CrossBreed to see if I needed a return authorization and he was quick to say, "Just send it right back. No questions asked."

I'll be sure to check with CrossBreed in the future for new products and wouldn't hesitate to suggest the CrossBreed for someone else. Just didn't work on me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Check out this other post, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...sign-flaw.html you can even see bulging in the pic of this post. This is what makes the holster SO uncomfortable. The ridges from the second piece of leather that is used to cover the mounting screws and slots. After some wear, these only become worse. Most do not have both holsters. I would not purchase another MTAC if given the choice. But if you like ridges and extra un-needed leather between you and the gun - go for it.
    Who said the MTAC was SO uncomfortable? Sounds like opinion to me. Mine isn't at all uncomfortable...

I have no direct experience of the CrossBreed but owners seem to like them a lot and Craig has awesome customer support.

I debated back and forth for quite a while on which to buy. Actually settled on the Crossbreed, but at the last minute found a used MTAC and bought it with the 1911 shell. Later got a Glock shell, have been wearing it with that one as I have other holsters for the 1911. Won't try to compare with the Crossbreed, as I've not tried it, but the MTAC is one of the more comfortable holsters I've tried, and pulls my G27 in nice and tight. Maybe some folks have had less positive comfort levels with their's, but I suspect they'll also sell a few dozen, give or take, of their Minotaurs this year as well....

We've all experienced service that drives us to brand loyalty, and clearly Crossbreed has inspired that loyalty in their products and service. Kudos to them for that!

Crossbreed is obviously popular with many folks, there's no denying that. I haven't tried a Crossbreed, but I can say the MTAC is *the* most comfortable IWB I've ever tried. I'm currently carrying a heavy stainless Commander and it's almost unnoticeable -- I expect when my first Beltman belt arrives it will be even better, as will the lighter Kimber Pro CDP II I have my eye on.

I bought the MTAC as a quick-fix IWB solution when I couldn't decide between a VMII and a MaxConV. I eventually ordered the VMII but am enjoying the MTAC in the meantime.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

The exposed rivets are a complete and utter non-issue. I don't know of a single person who has been able to feel them. The Spartan from Comp-tac also has exposed rivets/screws.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    The exposed rivets are a complete and utter non-issue. I don't know of a single person who has been able to feel them. The Spartan from Comp-tac also has exposed rivets/screws.

-JT
    Those exposed metal parts can grab skin when your weight shifts around such as sitting. Not saying everyone will have this happen, but it's possible.

I think it was right on with whoever said it's all about your body type. Plus, any holster with some leather takes a break in. Maybe people just need to wear it longer to see if it fits for them?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
    Who said the MTAC was SO uncomfortable? Sounds like opinion to me. Mine isn't at all uncomfortable...
    I said it - you quoting me saying it. I have one (MTAC). So why so confused?

Ordered an MTAC for my XD45tac today
    Keep your powder dry

Ordered the MTAC Minotaur today for the XD40 Service
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I've never tried the MTAC, but I do have a Supertuck that I use to carry my SP101 with. After a short break in period it became very comfortable, even while driving. I won't hesitate to buy another.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I received the MTAC Minotaur today (Ordered on Wednesday evening, 10/15, and received today, Tuesday, 10/21)!

I didn't need to adjust the retention for the XD40 4" out of the box. I did change the position of one of the clips by one increment to ensure that the top of the holster was always riding above the waistline and belt.

The leather has not yet had time to break in, but the holster is already more confortable than anything else I've tried for a full size service pistol.

Kudos to Comp-Tac, and thanks for the candy!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Nice how much??
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    I use both the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe and Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan with Velcro clips, although I recommend starting with regular clips until the best position is found. All my belts now have Velcro sewn on the inside at the proper spots. I like both of them much better than my VM-II and CTAC for all day IWB comfort.

The exposed metal on the backside of both is a non-issue with briefs or boxers. They both form to the body and reach total comfort after a decent break in period. A strong, snug belt is important to any waistband holster . Crossbreed service is exceptional. I haven't had occasion to test the service of Comp-Tac.

With a full firing grip, some modifications to the kydex and leather of the Crossbreed made it perfect for my use. The Spartan was perfect on delivery. The cost and time to receive are similar.

The flat rubber washers used to space out the clips from the leather on the Crossbreed are superior to the bulkier rubber hose peices of the Spartan which allow some rotation and consequent loosening of the attachment screws. The molded kydex body of the Spartan is superior, includes easy tension adjustment, and can be replaced by other bodies.

Adding felt or moleskin to the inside of the leather is not needed or recommended, as it compromises concealability and collects moisture. Chafing of the grip on bare skin can be mitigated by softening just the offending checkering of the gun which isn't essential to the grip, or by installing CT laser grips.

The design and quality construction of both holsters will outlast others made only of leather, and they are much more comfortable than those made only of kydex.
    Whether you purchase one or the other, you will have the most comfortable and long lasting holster ever made.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links