MTAC vs Crossbreed - Page 4

MTAC vs Crossbreed

This is a discussion on MTAC vs Crossbreed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been researching this lately and the only reason that I most likely won't get the supertuck is the build quality and the lack ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTAC vs Crossbreed

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have been researching this lately and the only reason that I most likely won't get the supertuck is the build quality and the lack of a needed feature IMO. You only pay a few dollars less (with the combat grip option) but you don't get the same back compared to the MTAC.

I have read numerous posts of people having to modify the leather and kydex body in order to get a full combat grip, even with the combat grip option.

From what I have seen the comp-tac is made to a much higher standard with more time taken in the design process to get every last detail right. The kydex is formed and mounted more precisely. It has to be to make it user replaceable with other bodies which is another benefit. Even if you never do that you can replace a broken kydex body yourself if needed. I have never heard of anyone modifying the kydex or leather on the MTAC because of grip issues but it seems to continually come up with the supertuck.

The other option that I feel tips the scales is that the MTAC has adjustable retention.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I tried a crossbreed that a neighbor got. I didn't care for it because of the thin material. I liked a bit more padding there (MTAC). It's hard, you can't exactly try them both before you buy unless you know people. Good luck.
    Not only that, but to get a really good idea of which one rules, you have to try out one that has curved to your body over many months of use. Once they are broken in and sitting right... that is when you truly know which one you prefer...

Big help, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
    At this point I shall gracefully bow out of this thread with a heartfelt and sincere "Best Wishes" to both Comp-Tac and thier customers.
    Peace
    Regardless of which one you choose, the man has class. He has so many orders (do the math on what he listed previously) that he has very little financial reason to maintain a presence on all of the boards... at least not from a "getting more business" standpoint. I think his customer service and helpfulness rocks... even if I am a leather-only snob now ;)

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    I have been researching this lately and the only reason that I most likely won't get the supertuck is the build quality and the lack of a needed feature IMO. You only pay a few dollars less (with the combat grip option) but you don't get the same back compared to the MTAC.

I have read numerous posts of people having to modify the leather and kydex body in order to get a full combat grip, even with the combat grip option.

From what I have seen the comp-tac is made to a much higher standard with more time taken in the design process to get every last detail right. The kydex is formed and mounted more precisely. It has to be to make it user replaceable with other bodies which is another benefit. Even if you never do that you can replace a broken kydex body yourself if needed. I have never heard of anyone modifying the kydex or leather on the MTAC because of grip issues but it seems to continually come up with the supertuck.

The other option that I feel tips the scales is that the MTAC has adjustable retention.
    The CB can be ordered with the combat grip. Quality? You call an extra piece of material on the back to cover up the mounting slots for the removable shells quality? I have them both. The MTAC is not as flexible nor as thin as the CB. In MY OPINION, the CB is by far more comfortable. To each their own - but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why this piece of cover up material equals better quality. Customer service is great either way - but I do like CB's lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    The CB can be ordered with the combat grip. Quality? You call an extra piece of material on the back to cover up the mounting slots for the removable shells quality? I have them both. The MTAC is not as flexible nor as thin as the CB. In MY OPINION, the CB is by far more comfortable. To each their own - but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why this piece of cover up material equals better quality. Customer service is great either way - but I do like CB's lifetime warranty.
    I am not talking about the extra piece of leather material. I am mainly talking about the shape/quality of the kydex and the shape of the leather. Lots of people (read the post a few posts above as one example) have to trim the leather and/or kydex. When lots of people have to trim their holster you have a design issue. I have even read posts of people trimming the leather with the combat grip option. How many have to do that with the MTAC?

Trimming your supertuck seems to be a recurring theme.

I guess another way to look at it is that the supertuck is easy to custom fit to your exact liking which for some is probably a great feature. For me though, I don't want to spend top dollar for something I might have to cut up.

Plus you can't easily adjust the retention on the supertuck which is an option that I like to have.

I agree with the lifetime warranty.

I am sure both holsters are comfortable for most.

From looking at these two pics, and of course the current design could be different, with the supertuck I have no doubt that my thumb would be over lapping the leather right on the edge. I know that it isn't a big deal for some but it bugs me to no end to not be able to get a full complete grip with out touching the holster.

If you look at the MTAC is has some more space. It is small but for me I bet it would make all the difference in the world.

I couldn't find a decent pic but the kydex issue I am talking about is around the trigger guard. The ones I have seen have lots of kydex sticking out passed it and that is where people have trimmed it. The MTAC is shaped around it.

I know it is small details but like any other top dollar holster makers, the quality is in the little details and they make all the difference.

Edit- I added another pic to show the trigger guard. The shape of the kydex should be changed.

That extra piece of smooth cover up leather causes my MTAC not only to be thicker and less comfortable - but it moves around quite a bit. Unlike the roughness on the CB - which holds it in place. If you like to pay extra for stamped leather that has not held up no better (or worse) than the CB - then go for it. But this is like my arguments with nice looking leather IWB holsters - why? They are hid, function no better (in some cases much worse), and cost more. Like I stated - just my honest opinion. Both companies seem to love their customers and take good care of them. I will give you that the MTAC looks better - but for me, it does not wear better. And if you are not going to swap out shells, why fool with the MTAC? They have their own CB ST version now. I might add I purchased the MTAC with the intent of swapping out shells. Unless you have planned ahead of time, swapping them out takes time - then you may need to adjust the clips. It was just a lot of hassle. So now I just keep it ready for my PF9 and the CB for my Glocks.

I have the CB ST and the exposed rivets allow quick adjustments and do not compromise comfort.

I read this thread, hoping that it would help me decide which holster to order. It doesn't sound like there is much to separate the two, other than the two week try out period with the CB. That's enough to make me choose that product. Thanks to everyone who posted here, this thread was worth the read.
    Last edited by PNUT; March 4th, 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo.

I ordered my Super Tuck last Tuesday. It arrived. Great, fast service.

It is stiff right now, but I put it on at about the 3:30 position and I can not believe how comfortable the holster is. I think a good belt helps any IWB holster. My S&W Compact 40 is much lighter than I expected.

Kudos to Crossbreed.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Are you kidding me. The extra piece of leather on the MTAC at its widest is only 1/16 of an inch and it is tapered toward the inside of the holster. The CB looks like the first designs for something like an MTAC its there but not quite finished. I can not believe that people pay $70.00 for something that unfinished. I looked at the CB when I was looking but after comparing it to a MTAC I realized the there was no comparison, MTAC is by far the best for the money. My MTAC is hot with the pad of leather it has, the CB has to be even worse with the 1/2 of cow its made out of. There is just no question even looking at pictures the MTAC is tops.

novel idea here people. Buy both, try for a week, return the one you don't like!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

I have worn the crossbreed everyday since october, and I find it very comfortable. It is easy to adjust the cant and retention. The reason I bought the CB was because there were very few options for my particular sidearm. I also bought a belt from CB at the same time that has worked very well.

If I were to buy again, I would get the combat grip. I recently ordered the new metal clips, but haven't received them yet.

Decided I'd give CB ST a try. I'll see how it does for me and I'll know better what route I want to take next time I buy. I'd really like to try a Black Ops and a Tucker Silent Thunder. Always next time.

Holsters I'd bet are like shoes each have to try on each one to see how they fit. Style , color, fit, finish, ect are all up to what the individual prefers.

But is nice to here opinions of others to get a ideal how everyone else likes the product.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Decided I'd give CB ST a try.
    Excellent choice..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I recently purchased a tapered 1.5" chestnut colored gun belt from COMP-TAC to go with my MTAC holster. It is somewhat thicker then my other two belts. The workmanship is excellent and it really adds to the fit and comfort of my MTAC holster. They were made to go together and I will soon be ordering a black one.

I have no experience with CB, however I have read a lot of posts concerning these two companies and the people involved with them and it appears to me that they both are fine upstanding people whose only motive is providing an excellent service for all of us. A service I can either take or leave, and that is all I should do.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links