Defensive Carry banner

MTac design flaw?

3K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  jdowder 
#1 ·
Don't ask me how I discovered this.

This is a picture of a standard MTac for a Glock 26. Take a look at the position of the magazine release. (It is a little hard to see.) It butts right up against the leather. That could cause a magazine release. I have noticed on a rare occasion that my magazine was not fully seated. That could cause problems.

Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen other holsters with the very same problem.

Here is what you can do to fix it.

Rub some lipstick on the top of your mag release and then carefully put the firearm back into the holster.

Press on that area and that will leave a colored mark on your holster in the exact location of the mag release.

Take a large hole punch - center it over that lipstick mark and pop that area right out.

If you do not have a large hole punch then you can take a large enough piece of tubing or pipe and bevel the end of it to make a sharp hole punch that you can hit with a hammer.

Even a short piece of hard copper water pipe will work for just punching one hole in leather.

That way...you take all of the holster pressure off of that area.

On your holster shown above - make sure you don't cut into your stitching because it's pretty close.

#3 ·
I do not have any problem such as this. Do you have an extended mag release?

I use a vickers' tactical extended release and still do not have a problem.

The G26 would sit further down on the leather backing though so perhaps that's why. Although I've never heard of this before.

#5 ·
Yeah, it depends on the gun. My mag release is covered on my P30. Might be something you should bring up with the manufacturer since they probably have a custom design per gun.

My only gripe is that my front sight(Heine) is taller than the factory sight and rubs against the kydex. The same problem doesn't happen with their paddle holster.

#7 ·
The kydex shell on my MTac bit into my wood grips and scratched them up :frown: I had to take my dremel and grind it down a bit, now it works just fine. It's very comfortable though. I have a TT holster in production (8 more weeks to go??) for a full leather rig to see how I like that.

#8 ·
the problom is your holster is still new an not broke in. it will form 2 you,, suck down and mold @u,, i have the same set up as u and there is a 1/2in gap there on mine,,but it is broke in nice

#9 ·
Anyone else have this issue?
No, but then I'm a lefty. My CZ P-01's mag release is on the left-hand side of the frame and I carry it IWB on my left-hand side. So, it's nicely protected via the Kydex shell of the holster.

One option, assuming your carry weapon supports it, might be to flip the magazine release to the other side.

#11 ·
I have a Crossbreed for my P239 - it has the same problem, and releases my magazine almost every time I use it. Obviously, this is a no-go. Also, one of the kydex belt clips broke off....

In Crossbreed's defense, they have offered to fix both issues free of charge - I just have to get around to sending the holster back to them.

#12 ·
Any holster with the mag realese button up against a backer will have the potential to 'pop" the mag. Ours or somebody else's. It has as much to do with the individual wearer's build and the particular gun as anything.

Another way to resolve this problem with our rigs at least is this.

Wet the leather in the area of about the size of a quarter from the backside where the button is making contact. Then while it is wet, use a blunt tool or your thumb and forefinger and work the leather to form a divot where the mag button hits. Let is dry completely and the divot will hold it's shape. This should solve the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.