MTac design flaw?

MTac design flaw?

This is a discussion on MTac design flaw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't ask me how I discovered this. This is a picture of a standard MTac for a Glock 26. Take a look at the position ...

Thread: MTac design flaw?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

MTac design flaw?

Don't ask me how I discovered this.

This is a picture of a standard MTac for a Glock 26. Take a look at the position of the magazine release. (It is a little hard to see.) It butts right up against the leather. That could cause a magazine release. I have noticed on a rare occasion that my magazine was not fully seated. That could cause problems.

Anyone else have this issue?

Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    I have seen other holsters with the very same problem.

Here is what you can do to fix it.

Rub some lipstick on the top of your mag release and then carefully put the firearm back into the holster.

Press on that area and that will leave a colored mark on your holster in the exact location of the mag release.

Take a large hole punch - center it over that lipstick mark and pop that area right out.

If you do not have a large hole punch then you can take a large enough piece of tubing or pipe and bevel the end of it to make a sharp hole punch that you can hit with a hammer.

Even a short piece of hard copper water pipe will work for just punching one hole in leather.

That way...you take all of the holster pressure off of that area.

On your holster shown above - make sure you don't cut into your stitching because it's pretty close.

I do not have any problem such as this. Do you have an extended mag release?

I use a vickers' tactical extended release and still do not have a problem.

The G26 would sit further down on the leather backing though so perhaps that's why. Although I've never heard of this before.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Just checked mine with my 1911, not an issue here. Still love my MTAC.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Yeah, it depends on the gun. My mag release is covered on my P30. Might be something you should bring up with the manufacturer since they probably have a custom design per gun.

My only gripe is that my front sight(Heine) is taller than the factory sight and rubs against the kydex. The same problem doesn't happen with their paddle holster.

Wow, that is odd. I would love to know what you do to fix it as I am considering one of those holsters
    My Pain Is Caused By My Pleasure

wpk
    The kydex shell on my MTac bit into my wood grips and scratched them up I had to take my dremel and grind it down a bit, now it works just fine. It's very comfortable though. I have a TT holster in production (8 more weeks to go??) for a full leather rig to see how I like that.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

the problom is your holster is still new an not broke in. it will form 2 you,, suck down and mold @u,, i have the same set up as u and there is a 1/2in gap there on mine,,but it is broke in nice

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Anyone else have this issue?
    No, but then I'm a lefty. My CZ P-01's mag release is on the left-hand side of the frame and I carry it IWB on my left-hand side. So, it's nicely protected via the Kydex shell of the holster.

One option, assuming your carry weapon supports it, might be to flip the magazine release to the other side.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

no problem with a walther... :)

VIP Member
    I have a Crossbreed for my P239 - it has the same problem, and releases my magazine almost every time I use it. Obviously, this is a no-go. Also, one of the kydex belt clips broke off....

In Crossbreed's defense, they have offered to fix both issues free of charge - I just have to get around to sending the holster back to them.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsor
    Any holster with the mag realese button up against a backer will have the potential to 'pop" the mag. Ours or somebody else's. It has as much to do with the individual wearer's build and the particular gun as anything.

Another way to resolve this problem with our rigs at least is this.

Wet the leather in the area of about the size of a quarter from the backside where the button is making contact. Then while it is wet, use a blunt tool or your thumb and forefinger and work the leather to form a divot where the mag button hits. Let is dry completely and the divot will hold it's shape. This should solve the problem.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have a Crossbreed for my P239 - it has the same problem, and releases my magazine almost every time I use it. Obviously, this is a no-go. Also, one of the kydex belt clips broke off....

In Crossbreed's defense, they have offered to fix both issues free of charge - I just have to get around to sending the holster back to them.
    I have an MTAC that I use for my P239. There is no problem with the mag release. It is free of any leather/kydex, and I am easily able to eject the mag while the pistol is still holstered.

Sponsored Links