Holster T-Shirts

Holster T-Shirts

This is a discussion on Holster T-Shirts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw an ad for a t-shirt with a cut out under the arm pit area where you can hide a handgun which you would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster T-Shirts

Holster T-Shirts

I saw an ad for a t-shirt with a cut out under the arm pit area where you can hide a handgun which you would wear as an under shirt with a dress shirt over it....photos show a guy putting his dress shirt and tie on for work with this t-shirt under it so he can carry....has anyone had any experience with this item and if so, is it any good or a scam?
    Thankx for your help.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Not sure exactly which brand of holster shirt you are talking about, but, I have several 5.11 Tactical holster shirts that are excellent for concealing a small framed handgun. I carry a 3" 1911 and theres no way you can tell I am carrying a weapon, unless you hug me (dont even think it). The 5.11 holster shirt can be hot and itchy in the summer but for winter months and deep concealment, its the ticket.

Holster Shirt | Tops | 5.11 Tactical

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I tried one for a double-stack 4" pistol. It didn't work very well. It didn't hold the gun in tight to my body so the grip was flopping all around. I did have it made to my measurements, but it still didn't work very well. It would do in a pinch with some guns and some cover shirts, but I never wear mine anymore. I might wear it camping or someplace where it won't matter if it prints. And since it was form-fitted to me, it was so tight I felt my breathing was somewhat restricted after wearing it for a while.

This works much better and costs less than the t-shirt holster I have: Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

It is easy to put on and quick to adjust. I have a friend who also wears his without the straps as a belly band at times. Note: the size chart is not accurate. According to their chart, I should wear a large. Tried it and it was way too big. The medium is tight for me (44) but it fits better than the large. One more thing: you'll need to either wear a t-shirt under this holster or put some fabric around it. It's too rough to wear next to bare skin.

This holster holds the gun as tight to your body as you want it. It also has two mag holders on the opposite side. I can't use the front mag holder for a .45 extended mag with spacer on it as the mag is so top-heavy it will fall out when I bend over. Good thing I had a long-sleeve shirt on when I first found that out. However, a compact mag will work in the front holder. The rear mag holder will hold any mag I have.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by grady; September 28th, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: sp

Thanks guys for your help, and thank you for the shoulder holster link I think I will look into that item.

I will be getting a holster shirt from my uncle as it's too small for him. Planning on doing a review on it when I get back in 3 weeks.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Lead Moderator
    The 5.11 shirt didn't work for me either. too itchy and didn't secure the gun .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a 5.11 holster shirt that I wear occassionally...it works well with my MK9. I can use it with my P229/.40, but am concerned with the weight. I haven't tried it with my P239/.40, yet.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

try masters of concealment.com or something, they have them also. that 5.11 one looks way better though.

Try UnderCoverComfort

I've used them for several years and recommend them.

They also have a UCCWrap product that I have not tried.
    BAD things happen to GOOD people.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This works much better and costs less than the t-shirt holster I have: Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster
    Now that looks like a good investment!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Grady,

What type weapon are you using? (weight) Any chance of a pic or two?

UUComfort was about the best shirt I have run across, but they seem to have fallen on some difficulties of late. The "Better Holster" shirt doesn't do well with a mid-size/weight weapon (USPc, 228/229/G19, etc). (lots of sag)

Thanks.

How many of you guys actually PRACTICE with those things? It's one thing to wear one, but totally another game to realistically and quickly draw from one.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If I were to buy one (considering it) I would switch one button (mid-chest) on each shirt to where the button location gets secured with velcro and sew the button to the button hole.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Grady,

What type weapon are you using? (weight)
    Heavy, which is probably one of the reasons the t-shirt holster didn't work.

I started with a S&W 59 double-stack, all steel and 17+1. The fixed position of the holster also conflicted with the full grip of the 59. The end of the grip printed a bit out front, and there was no way to adjust the holster position.

Then I bought an XD-45 compact, either 10+1 or 13+1. The shorter grip of the 10-mag hid better, but the gun still flopped around. I even safety-pinned the shirt and took some of the girth out, but still I don't like how it worked. Like you said, "Lots of sag" plus flop, plus grip printing of a full-size grip.

The shoulder holster, however, brings the gun in very tight to the body in whatever location you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Any chance of a pic or two?
    I'm guessing you mean of the shoulder holster instead of the t-shirt holster. I'm picture challenged, but here is a link to an older thread where MadDog showed how the shoulder holster looked. That's where I first heard about it.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...view-pics.html

This holster is adjustable both vertically and horizontally, and it can be adjusted quickly due to the velcro straps.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    How many of you guys actually PRACTICE with those things? It's one thing to wear one, but totally another game to realistically and quickly draw from one.
    It's not hard to draw, similar to a shoulder holster. In fact, a gun under the armpit is the easiest for me to draw when I'm driving (with the possible exception of crossdraw which I haven't tried yet).

As long as the neck/front of the shirt is open enough, I haven't had a problem. Sometimes I wear a sweater that has a slit and a few buttons and in the top front (which I leave unbuttoned), and sometimes I wear a button-down shirt with a couple top buttons unbuttoned. I've heard of people sewing buttons to the outside of their shirts and putting little patches of velcro to keep the shirt together where the button originally was, thus allowing a one-handed draw. But I just leave enough buttons unbuttoned to draw. I wouldn't want to try drawing while wearing a polo shirt, though, as the opening might be too small to allow a clean draw.

I don't use this method often, but sometimes it's a convenient option. I've never had a problem once I've committed to drawing, but reholstering can be slow with both the t-shirt holster and the deep concealment shoulder holster. I suppose if I need to draw, reholstering will be the least of my concerns.

The UCComfort seems to work pretty well for a holster shirt. Fellow DC member fed_wif_a_sig reviewed and discussed it here, including his very impressive video demonstration here.
    Last edited by dmorris68; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links