Double or Single Stitch?

Double or Single Stitch?

This is a discussion on Double or Single Stitch? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I note that some holster makers use a double stitch and some single. Does the double stitch make a stronger holster as a practical matter? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double or Single Stitch?

Double or Single Stitch?

I note that some holster makers use a double stitch and some single. Does the double stitch make a stronger holster as a practical matter?

Thanks,
    Jerry

It is supposed to do it Really i dont know .. Hopefully one of the holster makers will pop up and Give ya the info you seek

I think that's one of those statements from long ago that really has no merit now. With waxed linen thread on duty holsters subjected to weather, hard use and slow replacement, the double stitch was supposed to provide additional strength in the event of thread failure or leather failure. The hope was that if one stitch line failed, the second would hold the holster together. I've seen old duty holster torn at the welt anyway.

In any event, I really think it would be tough to break todays polyester or nylon thread and most holsters aren't subjected to the use and abuse of a duty rig anyhow. So.....speaking for myself only, I mostly run double stitch lines just because I like the looks.

Hi Guys!

I am in total agreement w/ Matt. Double stitch lines on a concealment holster are really for asthetics alone. If the primary stitching lets loose, the holster will probably be too loose to fit and function properly anyway.

Matt and Gary,
    Thanks, I thought that might be the case as some top makers use the single stitch. I do like the looks of the double stitch, but that would not be my sole criterion for one over the other.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

Administrator

Just Wondering

Does anybody Hand Saddle Stitch holsters anymore?
    You know...with 2 needles & an AWL?
    Leather Stitching Machines seem so good (And EXPENSIVE ) these days that there is probably no need to hand saddle stitch anything anymore.

In case anybody ever wants to try to make their own leather holster...you can buy a book like "How To Make Holsters" & get a good start with that book.
    It really is possible make a decent leather holster without a machine stitcher & tons of equipment. It just takes a lot longer. It will be a while before you can make one as nice as our top notch forum holster makers though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    I doubt it QK but - back in the days when I made those fancy rigs with my leather working buddy - tho he had machines I did teach myself the old way. Used that wierd lookin' wooden thing with leather jaws, held between the knees, that held the work piece.

One thing I did find out - just how tired the fingers get, as well as sometimes cuts on outside of pinkies from pulling thread into tension each time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Leather Stitching Machines seem so good (And EXPENSIVE ) these days that there is probably no need to hand saddle stitch anything anymore.
    I know of quite a few who make holsters/belts for the cowboy action shooters who do it that way - a strand of thread and 2 needles. You can acquire a very even laying of stitch that a lot of sewing machines cannot give you, especially on the back side of the belt/holster. I have a great respect for those who stitch their holsters that way.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

In case anybody ever wants to try to make their own leather holster...you can buy a book like "How To Make Holsters" & get a good start with that book.
    It really is possible make a decent leather holster without a machine stitcher & tons of equipment. It just takes a lot longer. It will be a while before you can make one as nice as our top notch forum holster makers though.

Howdy!
    Your post brings back some (not so) fond memories. Way back (about 20 years ago) when I first started making holsters for a living, I was unable to afford a stitcher. For the first two years, I hand stitched everything.
    The book that you mentioned was written by Al Stohlman. He was an absolute artisan of the highest order in all things leatherwork. However, his holster designs were quite primative by today's standards.
    I actually bought a copy when I was 16 years old and made my first holster according to his instructions. It was pretty hideous.
    You are correct about it being possible to make a good holster without a lot of tools. I can build a killer concealment holster with tools that would easily fit in a shoe box (with room left over). I'm sure that most any professional holstermaker could do the same.
    However, it would cost you more than you paid for the gun that rides in it because it would be a VERY slow process.
    The machinery allows us to make a holster at a reasonable price. It does very little, if anything, to improve the actual product quality.

I saddled stitched everything for quite a few years. Then in the early '80s, I managed to buy a stitcher that only had a throat deep enough for belts and continued saddle stitching everything else. I didn't start machine stitching everything until the last half of the '90's. The first few magazine articles showed saddle stitched holsters. Actually there are still a couple of things or parts of things I stitch by hand because of the layout. HEY.....Maybe all that hand stitching is the reason my hands hurt so much?

When I first started it was with the book pictured above and some very basic hand tools. I didn't actually get a stitcher until about three years ago. Until that time I stitched everything by hand with the two needles and one long piece of thread. Needless to say it was time consuming. I still can't afford a great stitcher so I make do with the Tippman Boss. It works pretty well for me but I am looking to upgrade her in the future.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My opinion is that double stitching shows care of craftsmanship , pride of ownership , and a foolish amount of time and effort , for real world applications i suspect modern assembly methods and thread make it an over all moot point

I'm with Matt and Garry on the double-stitch; today it's mainly for aesthetics. Like Gary said, if the close stitch breaks the holster would be too loose for proper fit and function anyway. Hell, the glue we use is strong enough to hold the thing together without stitching. But I double-stitch anyway because I like the lookof it.

As for hand-stitching with a saddlemaker's technique - Yes, I still do on some things. I've got a few patterns I designed before I had any machinery that are folded in such a way that they simply require a hand stitch because there is no way to manuver them on a machine. And I still do alot of hand sticthing when working with exotics; on some because I like the look. On others, like stingray, because the hide can f/up the machine. I do get quite a case of carpal tunnel flaring up occassionaly but I think it's more due to the hand-molding than stitching. I have hand-stitched three belts in my time doing this and vow I will never do that again!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity
    I have hand-stitched three belts in my time doing this and vow I will never do that again!
    Geez Mark, what a pu**y!! After only 3 belts?? Do you remember how long it took you to do one?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti
    Geez Mark, what a pu**y!! After only 3 belts?? Do you remember how long it took you to do one?
    LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links