Cross draw

This is a discussion on Cross draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What about carrying at about the 10:00/11:00 position with holster/pistol at a 45degree angle on belt? Joe...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cross draw

What about carrying at about the 10:00/11:00 position with holster/pistol at a 45degree angle on belt?

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Carried my 4" 586 S&W in a Bianchi Cyclone 111. I had 2 problems with it:

Number 1 was it was extremely difficult to conceal for me.

Number 2 was when drawing bringing the sights on target were slower due to the horizontal swinging motion and going past the target with the sights.

Find it much faster using strong side carry to draw, align sights on target and shoot accurately.

Only use CD carry when out hiking or hunting. JMO and no further comments on this one. Getting rather hot around here.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I use a cross draw quite often, with my revolvers , just when the weather is cool enough to wear a jacket or a coat it does not print with the heavier clothes when worn, but i stay away from a cross draw in the warmer weather when wearing just a shirt etc

Ummm,

FWIW,
    Some of the folks here that don't quite understand a proper crossdraw technique might consider visiting a SASS or Cowboy Action shoot.

You'll see what some call the "Crossdraw Shuffle" or the "Crossdraw Boogie".

But mostly you'll see it done right.

Best I can explain it is that you step accross your front with holster side foot, or swivel hips (or do both) until gun is in line with target. When it is, grasp firearm by grip and remove from holster by stepping back or swiveling hips back to starting point. Firearm remains pointred at target, pull trigger.

Extremly fast (probably way faster than you think it is) and nothing gets 'swept' or 'painted' except the target.

Holster has to be the right kind and angle, Galco made mine for the 1911, forget the model name. Rides very well at about 9:30-10 O'Clock. Does need a jacket or sport coat to conceal.

No ones going to pull it out of your holster, the angles are all wrong. Especially as theyd have to use their left hand and pull it close to your body at an awkward angle.

Presumably you'd resist that familiarity.

Spend much time at a desk or driving, and it's about the only rig that stays comfortable. Least the best thing I ever found.

Drawing while seated works pretty much as you might imagine, but is fastest when the body imitates the standing draw as much as possible.
    JMHO, YMMV!

Regards,

SEMPER FI

We stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, the Rope from the Army
    And on the seventh day when God was resting ... We overran his perimeter and stole the Globe
    And we have been guarding it ever since!

cross draw carry

first of all, welcome to the forum. i always carry strong side and have
    heard good and bad stories about crossdraw. good luck to ya.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Well crossdraw is similar to carrying in a bellybag and smart carry. Its also safe as long as you keep that finger off the trigger. I have carried my j-frame that way (iwb)at about 10 oclock and it doesnt print at all. Shorts and a t-shirt, its my favorite way to carry in the summer.
    Now if for some reason you end up on your back I would rather crossdraw than have something at 3-4 oclock. I to also think a gun grab isn't likely carrying this way, if you think about it the grabber is gonna have to be coming in from the front. Yes I can think of ways it can get grabbed but the ones I come up with means Im screwed anyway. (read gang style assault, ambushed etc etc) Also means I blew my SA big time.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I created a cross draw holster that I will be trying this weekend to see if it works for me. I'm most likely going to try for a 10 to 11 o'clock position for my Kel-tec PF9.

I will report what I find.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I created a cross draw holster that I will be trying this weekend to see if it works for me. I'm most likely going to try for a 10 to 11 o'clock position for my Kel-tec PF9.

now you make me wish I still had my PF9

surv

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Hey MNBurl, I'd really like to see that crossdraw you made - can you post a pic??

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post

For God, Family and Country!

I carry crossdraw about 99% of the time. Anyone who complains that this isn't safe or that it sweeps the room has neither given it any thought or sought to learn the proper technique. There is a stroke that you can do that brings the gun up and forward that sweeps about as minimal as any strong side draw. You can draw just as fast or faster this way. I find it faster just from the simple fact that my cover garment is handled 100% with my weak hand (right at the location where the gun is at), and as soon as the gun is clear, my weak hand meets the gun and to drive it forward into the target.

It can be more difficult to conceal, but I've found that if you are at 10 to 11 o'clock, it minimizes the forward butt issue. At this spot, the butt is across your body not pointing forward. I use an IWB in the summer and it vanishes under a t-shirt. Winter I have an OWB that is less discrete, but with a sweater or heavy top is fine.

jfl

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    I carry crossdraw about 99% of the time. Anyone who complains that this isn't safe or that it sweeps the room has neither given it any thought or sought to learn the proper technique. There is a stroke that you can do that brings the gun up and forward that sweeps about as minimal as any strong side draw. You can draw just as fast or faster this way. I find it faster just from the simple fact that my cover garment is handled 100% with my weak hand (right at the location where the gun is at), and as soon as the gun is clear, my weak hand meets the gun and to drive it forward into the target.

It can be more difficult to conceal, but I've found that if you are at 10 to 11 o'clock, it minimizes the forward butt issue. At this spot, the butt is across your body not pointing forward. I use an IWB in the summer and it vanishes under a t-shirt. Winter I have an OWB that is less discrete, but with a sweater or heavy top is fine.
    Could you post which holster and which gun you are using ?
    I like cross-draw because it is a lot easier on my right wrist (arthritis) and it is easy to draw from the weak hand.
    However, I have not found (yet) a way to get decent concealment under a t-shirt.
    Thanks for your input.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Great info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links