Cross draw

Cross draw

This is a discussion on Cross draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would appreciate any input concerning the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a CCW in a cross draw position. I am considering this option since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross draw

Lightbulb Cross draw

I would appreciate any input concerning the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a CCW in a cross draw position. I am considering this option since I will be using it in the car I am wondering why not use it all of the time. Thanks

When you draw that way, you generally end up sweeping many people and things on the way to your target.

It's not nearly as concealable as you might imagine. The butt is pointing directly forward, printing every time you move. It is quite handy when seated or driving. It is also very accessible to your opponent if he beats you to the draw. As mentioned before, it is a dangerous sweeping movement from holster to target. Most of us who've tried it have switched to something much more sensible, like IWB.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My biggest problem with crossdraw carry is the butt in forward position protrudes and creates a concealment problem.

Thanks for the input, good food for thought.

It's a great option for driving only...OMO!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just bought my first holster ( uncle mikes sidekick ) for like 13 bucks, When i first purcahsed the salesperson helping me told me to go right handed and cross draw, after practing at home it felt extremely uncomfrotable and unnatural.

returned it for a left handed the next day and am much more happy with it. Plus it seems safer and faster than cross draw.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I REALLY like the crossdraw - but - have found the gun butt just sticks out too much to conceal for me. If one day I find an affordable holster that solves this problem I'll probably start carrying that way.
    For God, Family and Country!

Cross draw works for those whose minds think that way. Those who don't have that mental bent tend to make unknowing remarks about how bad a cross draw is and that it "sweeps" other people and points the weapon at yourself while drawing.

These people know nothing and speak without thinking. This applies to "experts" and guru's.

ANY draw sweeps the area. ANY time your muzzle is pointed at ANYTHING other than your target, you've just swept that space. This means that even when presenting the weapon from a normal draw and before you've reached POA you've swept the area below and to one/both sides (slightly) of the target POA. This area could include innocents.

MANY MANY MANY people have shot themselves in the leg while drawing from 3 o'clock.

These are verifiable facts as applied to a normal draw and presentation. Cross draw is neither more nor less likely to result in accidental sweeping or self inflicted wounds IF the person knows the proper technique and follows it. Just as with a normal draw.

Cross draw is not for everyone. But, for those whose reaction times, motor skills, and mental processes make it work, cross draw is not dangerous or unsafe.

I carry both at 4 o'clock and cross draw. My cross draw is both faster and more secure than my 4 o'clock draw & presentation because of my personal body limitations, mental preferences and cover garments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Cross draw works for those whose minds think that way. Those who don't have that mental bent tend to make unknowing remarks about how bad a cross draw is and that it "sweeps" other people and points the weapon at yourself while drawing.

These people know nothing and speak without thinking. This applies to "experts" and guru's.

ANY draw sweeps the area. ANY time your muzzle is pointed at ANYTHING other than your target, you've just swept that space. This means that even when presenting the weapon from a normal draw and before you've reached POA you've swept the area below and to one/both sides (slightly) of the target POA. This area could include innocents.

MANY MANY MANY people have shot themselves in the leg while drawing from 3 o'clock.

These are verifiable facts as applied to a normal draw and presentation. Cross draw is neither more nor less likely to result in accidental sweeping or self inflicted wounds IF the person knows the proper technique and follows it. Just as with a normal draw.

Cross draw is not for everyone. But, for those whose reaction times, motor skills, and mental processes make it work, cross draw is not dangerous or unsafe.

I carry both at 4 o'clock and cross draw. My cross draw is both faster and more secure than my 4 o'clock draw & presentation because of my personal body limitations, mental preferences and cover garments.
    Well put Rob.....well put! Give me a ride-along on that. (+1)

I've carried cross draw before, and I will again. I've always done so OWB under a jacket in the winter time mainly. I'll use my three slot Ahern pancake for my G22 with forward cant on my strong side and use my Mitch Rosen 'upper limit express' holster on my weak side (cross draw) for my G27 as a BUG. I also practice the cross draw from weak side in two ways...one using strong hand to draw, and the other method using my weak hand to draw, and I am able to do either effectively with the small possibility of sweeping my own weak side leg on the way out with my weak side carry using weak hand. Then again.....I don't hook the trigger until it's in the clear. The Mitch Rosen holster is a straight drop, and when I wear it on the weak side (cross draw), it's a bit more forward than if I were wearing on the strong side, and this holster holds very tight to the body especially in the grip area. There are also holsters made with a forward cant specifically for cross draw applications which are even better IMO. Those are usually termed 'counter car-jacking' rigs. I think there is something for everyone in almost any situation. Information is always good, and others can sometimes look at things more objectively than the OP, or point out weaknesses in planned activities. Take everything into account, but don't easily be dissuaded by what others say. There is always that one common rule though............................be safe whatever you do!

I generally carry in the three to four o'clock posit.

I do, however, like the crossdraw (weak side, 1 to 2 o'clock) especially when driving or in cooler weather with a heaver shirt or jacket. It's downfall is it's not the best concealment, the grip of my sidearm does 'poke out' a little. I am just as competant drawing from either strong or weak sided (crossdraw). If it works for you then it is a good option IMO.

Very well put Rob P. +1
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I kidney carry on my strong side in a K&D Holster. With the proper cant I can draw seat belted by leaning forward a bit and drawing. Their Maverick Defender (IWB / OWB ) works the best for me.

It's locking adjustable cant can be set at any cant you want. So you can set it at the cant that is most comfortable for you and the easiest cant to draw from Followed by the Dakota Defender

(tuckable IWB) that is more concealable and works with summer wear shorts and t-shirt
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Thanks to all of you. Your input is appreciated and I welcome any and all, especially those who provide pictures of holsters or holster info in order to help me decide.

mental bent tend to make unknowing remarks about how bad a cross draw is and that it "sweeps" other people and points the weapon at yourself while drawing.

Drawing a gun from a IWB or belt holster on the strong side sweeps the ground (safe direction) and your target (you intend to destroy it so non-issue). The only time you could be sweeping your leg is if you're standing in some odd position that is beyond my mental capacity to think of. You can't eactly count the time from the holster to when you clear the holster because if you did and you were really worried about sweeping your leg don't carry. The muzzle will always be pointing to a body part or very close. The whole idea is, you don't want to sweep the gun across people who are not a threat. Cross draw sweeps ANYTHING that could be standing to the side. You want to shoot those people over on your side who are not a threat? If you can point me to a video that shows how this doesn't happen I'd gladly watch it and see for myself how this doesn't happen with proper technique. So far though I'm sticking to my initial thoughts on it.

I carry my BUG ina high noon IWB holster Its a Keltec P11 and it doesn't print in the 2 O'clock position
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links